Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 07:36 PM

183 posts, read 568,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetsurf View Post
My synagogue is obviously Jewish and .... 50% Hispanic!?!?
"Hispanics" can also be English, Irish and anything else from Europe. They migrated to Cuba to find their fortune decades ago, probably when the English, French and others from western Europe whent there behind the Spanish. Many are probably fluent in Spanish only. Those who know the history of that might care to explain the Cuban racial mix. I know in Jamaica there are English, Irish, Jews, Chinese, East Indian, Italian, Palestinians and others with roots in the middle, and that's not all.
There are also white, black and mixed Cubans living in Jamaican, whatever be their original racial roots. Nobody cares. You don't have to put your racial details on anything in Jamaica. Jamaica is 95% of African descent, and African descent mixed with everything else.
Jamaica is 90 miles across the sea from Cuba.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 11:05 PM

433 posts, read 953,735 times
Quote:
My synagogue is obviously Jewish and .... 50% Hispanic!?!?
Hi PlanetSurf:

I knew from my granfather that after the cuban revolution many cuban jewish left the island, and I suppose, they came to the US. So, just for curiosity, Is the majority of hispanic jewish in the area of Miami from cuban descendent?

PD: Im asking because when I was in Cuba I heard that the jewish community in the city of Havana before the revolution took place was very sounded.

Old 01-03-2009, 12:09 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,611,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha man View Post
Races in Cutler Ridge: * White Non-Hispanic (44.4%) * Hispanic (36.7%) * Black (15.7%) * Other race (4.8%) * Two or more races (3.8%) * Asian Indian (0.8%) * American Indian (0.6%) Profiles of local businesses: Tactical Protection Corp urban@261 Liapela Modern Baby Products David Amaro DDS City Flyers, LLC True Hoist organza hair designers inc Horizon Electrical, Inc. Races in Miami: * Hispanic (65.8%) * Black (22.3%) * White Non-Hispanic (11.8%) * Other race (5.4%) * Two or more races (4.7%) * American Indian (0.5%) (Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races) why so many in cutler ridge

What was "white people miami 1" all about??? Was there a need for a part deux???

Old 01-04-2009, 02:28 AM

910 posts, read 753,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
Hispanic is not a race, it is a culture. We come in every color and shade. I am Cuban, and I consider myself White, caucasian.
Exactamente CLT. (Exactly) -- most of the Americans I know realize that this is a fact. But of course, just like in every country, there is always the ignorant few who wallow in their ignorance and celebrate it by painting all spanish SPEAKERS with the same brush and race -- I am a Spaniard and consider myself as white as any other white American. It's funny how some people (the ignorant ones) consider me "hispanic" and "non white" when I am much whiter than many Italians who, on the other hand, classify as "white."

I love it when some ignorant high school punks ask me "oh damn, you speak Spanish?" Uh, no, I AM Spanish, a Spaniard (and very very proud of who and what I am).

Although I am no friend of democrats, it seems to me that the Obama crowd or Obama himself seems to be at least better informed about geography than the Mccain camp who didn't know where Spain was.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:21 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,969,104 times
Quote:
"Hispanics" can also be English, Irish and anything else from Europe. They migrated to Cuba to find their fortune decades ago, probably when the English, French and others from western Europe whent there behind the Spanish. Many are probably fluent in Spanish only. Those who know the history of that might care to explain the Cuban racial mix
Cuba never was a hotspot for Irish and English immigrants the way the United States and Canada were. Hence why it is extremely rare to find anybody on that island that has a last name like Smith or O'Reilly for example and also why the percentage of Cubans with red hair/blond hair and blue eyes is nowhere near as high as it is among English speaking Non Hispanic White Anglo Americans. Most Cubans have dark hair and dark eyes and most have very Spanish sounding last names.

Old 01-04-2009, 02:24 PM

2 posts, read 6,335 times
nevermind percents and races...we all living on the that world...

Old 01-05-2009, 03:55 AM

2 posts, read 6,335 times
CLTKing ,is there any differences Europe spanish language between Cuban spanish language ?

Old 01-05-2009, 03:07 PM

710 posts, read 2,234,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson View Post
Hi PlanetSurf:

I knew from my granfather that after the cuban revolution many cuban jewish left the island, and I suppose, they came to the US. So, just for curiosity, Is the majority of hispanic jewish in the area of Miami from cuban descendent?

PD: Im asking because when I was in Cuba I heard that the jewish community in the city of Havana before the revolution took place was very sounded.
I've never seen a break down of Jewish Hispanics in Miami, but I do know over 30% of all Jews here are foreign born. Of course many are Isreali or French Jews, but I know Jews from Argentina, Chile, Peru, Brasil, Mexico and Venezuala in addition to the Jewbans (My wife's family).
We all know Don Francisco from Sabado Gigante ... Chilean Jew.

My mother in law was Sephardic from Cuba -- probably wouldn't be very Jewish if she didn't marry my German Jew immigrant father-in-law. MOST of the Jews left Cuba, but I've also seen the stories of those left there (mostly Havana it seems.)

Argentina has by far the biggest Jewish population -- about 300k. Mexico City has lots too.
There are LOTS of populations of "un-typical" Hispanics in LatAm. Shakira is Lebanese, Fujimori in Peru, Carlos Slim ... and of course many of them want to come to the US.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:28 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,696,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canovas View Post
Exactamente CLT. (Exactly) -- most of the Americans I know realize that this is a fact. But of course, just like in every country, there is always the ignorant few who wallow in their ignorance and celebrate it by painting all spanish SPEAKERS with the same brush and race -- I am a Spaniard and consider myself as white as any other white American. It's funny how some people (the ignorant ones) consider me "hispanic" and "non white" when I am much whiter than many Italians who, on the other hand, classify as "white."

I love it when some ignorant high school punks ask me "oh damn, you speak Spanish?" Uh, no, I AM Spanish, a Spaniard (and very very proud of who and what I am).

Although I am no friend of democrats, it seems to me that the Obama crowd or Obama himself seems to be at least better informed about geography than the Mccain camp who didn't know where Spain was.

I hate the word "hispanic" and how it implies Spanish speakers are all mestizos. Im Australian, have italian parents and live in Spain - and I look darker and more latin than the Southern Spanish!

Old 01-08-2009, 12:58 PM

69 posts, read 259,145 times
Quote:
There are LOTS of populations of "un-typical" Hispanics in LatAm. Shakira is Lebanese, Fujimori in Peru, Carlos Slim ... and of course many of them want to come to the US.
Don't forget about the Palestinians in Nicaragua...

Last edited by sunrico90; 01-08-2009 at 03:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami