Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 11:09 PM

640 posts, read 1,822,820 times

Advertisements

The Cubans who have romantic ideas about going back are now too old to relocate. The younger generations aren't going anywhere, except for recent immigrants, who might go back if the economy really falls apart here, and Cuba starts booming.

Thomas Jefferson> but I think if the whole Cuban population leaves after Castro's death Miami will be an empty city

No, but the government will be gutted. The city and county buildings will be nearly empty, as will the police departments.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:24 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,895,919 times
See: Vero Beach.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:28 PM

433 posts, read 953,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar Beach View Post
The Cubans who have romantic ideas about going back are now too old to relocate. The younger generations aren't going anywhere, except for recent immigrants, who might go back if the economy really falls apart here, and Cuba starts booming.

Thomas Jefferson> but I think if the whole Cuban population leaves after Castro's death Miami will be an empty city

No, but the government will be gutted. The city and county buildings will be nearly empty, as will the police departments.
LOL

Old 01-15-2009, 11:34 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,491,636 times
Quote:

The only ones that would stay are: Cubans (with citizenships) or Americans (Of Cuban Parents).

If the 50's cubans manage to stay alive a little more they could have a chance.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:47 PM

I said: The younger generations aren't going anywhere, except for recent immigrants, who might go back if the economy really falls apart here, and Cuba starts booming.

Another reason would be for health care. If you get sick here but have no insurance, you're pretty screwed. For most purposes, the health care system in Cuba is pretty good. Score 1 for Fidel.`

Old 01-16-2009, 07:34 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,682,314 times
I posed this question via e-mail to both my mother and father's sides of the family and surprisingly most of them said they would consider moving back. The majority of them bailed out after the Dadeland shootings after being in Miami for decades while some gave up in the mid 1980's. Of all the family only one remains in Miami and even though he is incredibly well off and has a great job he has been at for years even he is now considering leaving. It still amazes me how many people left the city. Not only family but friends I grew up with and their families who also lived there for decades.

As for me? I will be back eventually no matter what.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen1971 View Post
I posed this question via e-mail to both my mother and father's sides of the family and surprisingly most of them said they would consider moving back. The majority of them bailed out after the Dadeland shootings after being in Miami for decades while some gave up in the mid 1980's. Of all the family only one remains in Miami and even though he is incredibly well off and has a great job he has been at for years even he is now considering leaving. It still amazes me how many people left the city. Not only family but friends I grew up with and their families who also lived there for decades.

As for me? I will be back eventually no matter what.
Where did they all move?

People have romantic memories of old Cuba, or fantasies passed down through the generations. They have no real idea what it's like to live on a poor Caribbean island.

Hawaii is American, yet mainlanders who move out there face an enormous cultural shock. Go read the Hawaii forum and you'll see. (I have personal experience with Maui. For mainlanders living an ordinary suburban life, with a good job, the transition is difficult.)

Old 01-16-2009, 09:27 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,682,314 times
Quote:
Where did they all move?
All over the place. There are some in NY & NJ. Some in Arkansas, Idaho & NC. And the rest of us are in the Tampa area. I was just surprised because I didn't realize that I was not the only one in the family who missed Miami. I do think a lot of my family is thinking of the Miami they grew up in and not thinking of how it would be today even without the Cubans. I was also a bit surprised that Cubans factored in at all. I always thought it was more the violence that had overtaken Miami and not necessarily the people. Guess you never stop learning about your own family.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:07 PM

170 posts, read 450,286 times
It would be paradise, like it was in the old days. Sorry if I offend, but it would be pretty neat.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:42 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,292,586 times
At a guess:

- Fewer "hit and runs" and DUI's
- Less traffic
- Less Medicare fraud
- Safer roads, i.e. better drivers
- Better customer service
- More diversity (you'd have different ethnic groups living here)
- English would be the most commonly spoken language again
- Hialeah wouldn't look like Tijuana (it would probably resemble Miami Springs more)
- More trees, greenery
- Fewer bars on windows
- Miami would be a "southern" city, complete with southern hospitality
- More peaceful (no all night parties for the sake of having a party)
- Politicians would be slightly less "slimy" and less corrupt
- Far less rampant over development and non-planning

I think I'd feel far more welcome in this version of Miami, as would a lot of people. Pandering to one group of immigrants has not been good for this city, IMO, nor is it good for the immigrants themselves who are given no incentive or reason to assimilate.

Many of the bad traits of Miami are actually very specific to Miami, when compared to the rest of the United States. All cities have problems, but Miami has a lot of Miami-only problems, many of which are caused by the sudden demographic shift.

Last edited by EnjoyTheSilence; 01-17-2009 at 12:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami