Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 01:49 PM

170 posts, read 450,556 times

Advertisements

It use to be immigrants would kiss the ground when they came to America. Now they spit on it. I think waving their flags is the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 01:59 PM

640 posts, read 1,823,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migsly View Post
It use to be immigrants would kiss the ground when they came to America. Now they spit on it. I think waving their flags is the same thing.
Unfortunately is the impression it leaves with a lot of people. Folks who are big on pride displays from their home countries might want to think about that.

I don't think that most people who hang foreign flags from their mirrors hate America. They probably feel alienated living in a foreign place, and it give them a feeling of solidarity with others who are in the same boat. I can tell you though, from having grown up in Miami, that Cuban flags displayed all around caused a lot of resentment in the "Anglo" community.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:53 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,700,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar Beach View Post
Unfortunately is the impression it leaves with a lot of people. Folks who are big on pride displays from their home countries might want to think about that.

I don't think that most people who hang foreign flags from their mirrors hate America. They probably feel alienated living in a foreign place, and it give them a feeling of solidarity with others who are in the same boat. I can tell you though, from having grown up in Miami, that Cuban flags displayed all around caused a lot of resentment in the "Anglo" community.
Not only the Anglo community, but back during the days of Elian Gonzalez, many other Hispanics groups had a resentment for Cubans after some members of the community decided to block streets and protest. That was a shameful time for us Cubans in Miami. I admit it. It backfired.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:10 PM

534 posts, read 2,408,650 times
The flags didnt bother me a bit. Until i saw somone put up a cuban flag in their front yard this fourth of july. Now they bother me. People died for the life that they float over here to enjoy. Respect that.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:13 PM

392 posts, read 1,261,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
. Maybe they're all on cars driven by Americans down in Mexico.
Damn you're good..... How did you know

Old 01-30-2009, 08:20 PM

49 posts, read 49,092 times
"Ask any European, Australian, Japanese (you get the picture) and they rather live in their own countries."

Oh yeah? Come to Orlando and tell them that then, please.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:22 PM

Default Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
To the OP - Ooh baby you would hate to be a rican in NY - we go over board with the flags here. I don't personally, but I have plenty of cousins who have it on the HOOD of their car - LOL.

And then we are lucky enough to see them all move from NY to Orlando.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbugmiami View Post
The flags didnt bother me a bit. Until i saw somone put up a cuban flag in their front yard this fourth of july. Now they bother me. People died for the life that they float over here to enjoy. Respect that.
For the love of God, please, and I mean please tell me you are kidding.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:43 PM

640 posts, read 1,823,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
Not only the Anglo community, but back during the days of Elian Gonzalez, many other Hispanics groups had a resentment for Cubans after some members of the community decided to block streets and protest. That was a shameful time for us Cubans in Miami. I admit it. It backfired.
Yes, you are right. There are still negative feelings between the Cuban and non-Cuban Hispanic communities.

Old 02-01-2009, 06:31 AM

534 posts, read 2,408,650 times
Absolutely not kidding. Its a house by my house. And if they flew a cuban flag everyday, i woudln't even mention it. But it was up Fourth of July and i haven't seen it since. Super slack. That basically is like someone up above said, coming here and spitting on the ground.
That being said, someone with a little flag on their mirror, or a sticker of their homeland, etc, that doesn't bother me at all. Hearing about how much better things are 'wherever they are from', maybe a little. Go back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami