Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 06:41 PM

166 posts, read 376,428 times

Advertisements

Since I see that Miami is by far the most bashed city on this forum I was curious what changes you would like to see to make Miami desirable place to live. I have always liked Miami to start. It would be my number one place to live if it had more cultural destinations, less slum and crime, more diverse population, a thriving middle class, and more of a young professional base. Please share yours!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 07:02 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
I agree, it is one of the most bashed cities on here...and I like it a lot as well.

I'm surprised how many people have these expectations...maybe for it to be a big tropical version of Topeka, Kansas or something bizarre...and surprised when it isn't.

To me, I like the many different kinds of people...and if someone has the ability to speak Spanish...it doesn't bother me at all. I also don't find it any ruder than any other large city like in europe, asia, south america, northeast usa, out west usa, etc.

Since this is a request for your 'ideal' Miami...I'd quickly say a much less expensive Miami would be nice...as well as a much more denser/walkable/pedestrian-friendly one.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:44 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,053,741 times
less crime...that's it. I have been shot at when I was 18....just getting gas at night (something I never do anymore) when a truck came and a guy stepped out with a semi-auto and pointed it at me and motioned for me to roll down my window. I said hell no...peeled out in reverse and hit the road...I heard three shots as I drove away. One shot went who knows where, the other hit the driver side rocker panel and was literally 4 inches away from my femur, the other shot hit my front tire/rim causing it to blow out. Luckily I was driving a RWD mustang. This happend on Coral Way and the Palmetto...that Texaco there you can see from the 826. I was lucky to escape with my life.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:47 PM

470 posts, read 1,194,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I agree, it is one of the most bashed cities on here...and I like it a lot as well.

I'm surprised how many people have these expectations...maybe for it to be a big tropical version of Topeka, Kansas or something bizarre...and surprised when it isn't.

To me, I like the many different kinds of people...and if someone has the ability to speak Spanish...it doesn't bother me at all. I also don't find it any ruder than any other large city like in europe, asia, south america, northeast usa, out west usa, etc.

Since this is a request for your 'ideal' Miami...I'd quickly say a much less expensive Miami would be nice...as well as a much more denser/walkable/pedestrian-friendly one.
That's exactly what it is. They expect the City to be a beach resort when it isn't. It's a real city. I mean you can have your beach resort stuff but it's still a major city. I would say Miami is cheap though. Cheaper than most cities I have encountered. And to answer this for you, "as well as a much more denser/walkable/pedestrian-friendly one." A simple answer, Miami 21. Support this and you will see this happen.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:16 PM

535 posts, read 1,411,484 times
Less crime, nicer and more educated people, less ghettos, 4 season weather, more efficient freeways, less people, higher wages, more diversity and of course lower cost of living!!!

Old 05-10-2010, 09:54 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,369,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQpilot3 View Post
Since I see that Miami is by far the most bashed city on this forum I was curious what changes you would like to see to make Miami desirable place to live. I have always liked Miami to start. It would be my number one place to live if it had more cultural destinations, less slum and crime, more diverse population, a thriving middle class, and more of a young professional base. Please share yours!
mass transit, adoption of new urbanism concepts

Old 05-11-2010, 02:06 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
Overall Miami is less expensive than other major US coastal cities. To be sure, property maintenance and insurance costs are relatively high, but that's the price you pay for an industrial lifestyle in a tropical environment that is otherwise hostile to such human endeavors.

I understand heydade's point, I sum it up as follows: the crime rate is 0% if you are not a victim of crime; the crime rate is 100% if you are a victim of crime.

Realistically, then, as others have mentioned, Miami would be much better if it densifies and expands rail transport and develops truly pedestrian-friendly neighborhoods, embracing Miami 21, new urbanism concepts, more energy-efficient zoning, urban planning alla dimensione dell'uomo, and better layouts for condominium communities, including floor plans at the unit level. The mid-2000s building boom still got a lot of that wrong; chalk it up to lack of civilization experience.

This may go hand-in-hand with better education, better job opportunities, and an end to racism.

Last edited by bale002; 05-11-2010 at 02:17 AM..

Old 05-11-2010, 04:59 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,078,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina1686 View Post
Less crime, nicer and more educated people, less ghettos, 4 season weather, more efficient freeways, less people, higher wages, more diversity and of course lower cost of living!!!

Yeah .. lets change the weather .... my god some of the posts on here are mind boggling

Old 05-11-2010, 06:12 AM

796 posts, read 1,843,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
less crime...that's it. I have been shot at when I was 18....just getting gas at night (something I never do anymore) when a truck came and a guy stepped out with a semi-auto and pointed it at me and motioned for me to roll down my window. I said hell no...peeled out in reverse and hit the road...I heard three shots as I drove away. One shot went who knows where, the other hit the driver side rocker panel and was literally 4 inches away from my femur, the other shot hit my front tire/rim causing it to blow out. Luckily I was driving a RWD mustang. This happend on Coral Way and the Palmetto...that Texaco there you can see from the 826. I was lucky to escape with my life.
When did this happen? Those things usually don't happen in that area...that's just crazy! Regardless of where it happened, you are one lucky dude...

Old 05-11-2010, 08:29 AM

2,517 posts, read 11,053,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giz2000 View Post
When did this happen? Those things usually don't happen in that area...that's just crazy! Regardless of where it happened, you are one lucky dude...
back in 1995
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami