Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why have you left Michigan, or why will you be leaving?
Can't find a job 91 60.26%
Can't stand another Michigan winter 57 37.75%
Can't stand Michigan's political and fiscal mess 50 33.11%
Need a new state to complain about 6 3.97%
Can't stand my surroundings--traffic, people, crime, or other 27 17.88%
Can't live without my family, and they've moved away from Michigan 10 6.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 10:20 AM

7 posts, read 37,047 times

Advertisements

We are planning on moving early next year (when our apartment lease ends). I am in my early twenties and newly married, and we would just like to go somewhere with a more stable economy. We want to be able to buy a home/condo in the next few years, and I just can't trust that we will have jobs then!

His work just got bought out and he had to take a paycut of nearly 40%. At my job, they just had to fire someone due to budget constraints, and while I have the seniority to last a while, who knows if they will keep my branch office open if we continue to underperform (even though our poor numbers are due to the economy of Michigan).

Unless there is a drastic economic shift in the next six months, we plan on going to either Florida, where my husband grew up, or North Carolina, which is booming. I should be able to transfer to either area, so I am hopeful that it will work out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2007, 08:57 PM

57 posts, read 195,031 times
I left Detroit area in 2003 and moved to Phoenix, my husband and I could not find jobs. The housing in the surburbs rose. I lived in a 2 bedrooom townhome in Southfield, the rent rose from 840 to 900 in 1 year. I had only 1 full bath.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:20 AM

201 posts, read 1,122,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
Thinking about moving away? Already made the big move? Discuss why, where, and how you left or plan to leave Michigan.
I think weather is another factor to leave the Michigan area. Some people like snowey winters, but I like the heat. I know it can get devastately hot in the south (like this summer), but I don't care. This was out of norm and can happen in the future. But warm weather is what I prefer and plan to move to the Georgia area. I have been there on several occasions. The warm weather is longer than the cold weather.

Old 09-04-2007, 07:29 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times
I know its bad for real estate and the economy, taxes, but I'm happy to see people leave. I love Michigan but love the rural life, no traffic etc. Michigan has what 11 million people? Too many. Go live somewhere else.

Old 09-06-2007, 10:28 PM

693 posts, read 2,257,475 times
Default People Leave?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I know its bad for real estate and the economy, taxes, but I'm happy to see people leave. I love Michigan but love the rural life, no traffic etc. Michigan has what 11 million people? Too many. Go live somewhere else.
Well although you may like people leaving (and yes many are) you must not care about your house value, your chance of ever selling your home. By the way, as of the last census (2000) Michigan had shy of 9 million people. Its sad there is someone saying they want people to leave, maybe in 10 years your neighbors will be skunks.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:04 AM

314 posts, read 439,537 times
Subject: Medicine
>
> A Japanese doctor says, "Medicine in my country is so advanced that we can
> take a kidney out of one man, put it in another, and have him out looking
> for work in six weeks."
>
> A German doctor says, "That is nothing. We can take a lung out of one
> person, put it in another, and have him out looking for work in four
> weeks."
>
> A British doctor says, "In my country medicine is so advanced that we can
> take half a heart out of one person, put it in another, and have both of
> them out looking for work in two weeks."
>
> The Canadian doctor, not to be outdone, interjected, "You guys are way
> behind. We took a woman with no brains, sent her to Michigan where she
> became Governor, and now half the state is out looking for work."

Old 09-07-2007, 10:25 AM

13 posts, read 49,362 times
Thumbs up Not leaving - love it...

My answer to your poll - none of the above.
1)Have a job...
2)Love Michigan Winters...
3)Upper Michigan is not facing the same "fiscal mess" that lower Michigan is and I have faith that the state's economy will improve...
4)Don't want a new state to complain about (although I have lived in other states and been far less happy with my surroundings)...
5)Love my surroundings - hardly any traffic, great people, very low crime rate...
6)Live close to my family who are still here in Upper Michigan...

In a recent USA Today article it was reported that The Upper Peninsula stands apart, geographically and economically, from the Lower Peninsula. While the Lower Peninsula has been suffering from job losses in the auto industry, home foreclosures, mortgage delinquencies, etc. the U.P. has benefited from tourism, mining and logging. And at a time when home sales have declined overall in Michigan, they have risen in the U.P. My hope is that Michiganders that are considering leaving the state intirely might also consider a move within the state intead.

Old 12-29-2007, 01:00 PM

17 posts, read 59,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmerrick View Post
It seems whenever I am outside of Michigan - people's perception seems to center only on Detroit and never outside of it!
LOL! I was just talking to my husband about that.....there is definately more to Michigan than just Detroit! I live in a small SW town and it is fabulous. Jobs...are slim or none, but our community is nice and safe...just the way I like it!

Old 12-29-2007, 03:42 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
People seem to even stretch winter out longer than it really is. I'm waiting for that one poster to claim winter lasts year round in Michigan.

Yes, it does occasionally snow in October, but it's more the exception than the rule. We've driven to Saginaw from Grand Rapids EVERY YEAR for 10 years for Thanksgiving (late November), across M-46 or M-57, and I don't ever remember driving it in the snow. I've even wondered if we were going to have a white Christmas (snow on the ground) in the last couple of years, and we supposedly live in the "snow belt" over here.

I think if people determine that they don't like something (like winter in Michigan), than their mind amplifies that thing to reinforce their decision. It's just like once you determine you don't like your job or your boss. Every day that goes by, it (or he/she) gets worse and worse. It's just human nature.
I think of winter as any season you have to have the heater on. I lived in northern Michigan where one year the temperatures were still going down in the 30's in June, no heater at all in all of July, but August came and temperatures dropped in the 30's at night -- heaters were on again.

That got me packing up -- that was just too much -- although I do have to admit the scenery was very nice, the lakes are beautiful, people were fine.

I show back up every summer however. Even summers up there are on the chilly side -- so I try to aim for July.

Old 08-30-2008, 08:23 AM

7 posts, read 14,679 times
Default rice rides?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Lake Boy View Post
And what your driving! Would be interesting to see the amount of people leaving driving rice rides.
You must be thinking of alternate fuels cause I know that you would not be bad mouthing companies that actually continue providing automotive jobs as oppose to cutting them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan