Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 03:07 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,427,138 times

Advertisements

I have a question for Michiganders... why does it seem like so many people despise the upper peninsula? It's such a beautiful area of this country, yet so many people seem to avoid it like the plague.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 03:14 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,908,568 times
Everyone I know absolutely LOVES the U.P...and I mean everyone...

Old 02-08-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Everyone I know absolutely LOVES the U.P...and I mean everyone...
Really? It just seems so ignored/abandoned/derided...

Old 02-08-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
Thats because most people say they hate it because there are no jobs. Or they hate it because there is no exciting nightlife. If you love nature, history and just the plain old laid back quiet life, then you love the U.P. I know at least 10-15 people who would move there in a second if they could...including me.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:36 PM

358 posts, read 1,064,310 times
Quote:
Examples, please.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyl4rk View Post
Examples, please.
Well, the historic antipathy most LPers have against the UP, the population decline, the lack of people in general, etc.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Well, the historic antipathy most LPers have against the UP, the population decline, the lack of people in general, etc.
I would say U.P.ers have more antipathy toward the trolls...but most in good fun. Population decline is due to the fact that there just arent many jobs, and lack of people is mostly due to again...lack of jobs, but maybe even more due to the weather. The winters are long, and most people just cant handle that aspect of the U.P.

Old 02-08-2011, 05:05 PM

192 posts, read 494,657 times
My son went to college up at Mich Tech, in Houghton 16 years ago and has been there ever since. Went from a student to being employed by the college. He loves it up there and we love to visit. Couldn't live there though the winters are much to long.

Old 02-08-2011, 05:06 PM

760 posts, read 2,443,108 times
I know a lot of people who have moved up here thinking they could handle it (the climate) year round...... then within 3 - 5 years they were gone again. Some don't even make it past their first winter.
When you stop seeing the ground in November and oftentimes don't see it again until April, it takes a special kind of person to deal with that year after year. We've had snow storms in early October and mid-May.

Jobs..... I disagree with people who say there aren't jobs. Jobs are what you make it if you wish to live here bad enough. Could we make more money elsewhere? Absolutely!! But the our quality of life and the things we ultimately value can rarely be found anywhere else but here.
If I could live here with my family of five and make it happen on $30k a year, or if I could live elsewhere that doesn't offer the wilderness we have here and make $100k a year doing the same thing....... I'm going to pick da U.P. and $30k every single time.

It all boils down to priorities IMO. This place is just right for some folks to live, it's just right for some folks to visit, and it holds absolutely zero interests for many folks. I have several family members who have never been up here and have no intention of it.
Different strokes for different folks.
Personally, I would like to keep the population levels down thank you very much

Old 02-08-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeg View Post
I know a lot of people who have moved up here thinking they could handle it (the climate) year round...... then within 3 - 5 years they were gone again. Some don't even make it past their first winter.
When you stop seeing the ground in November and oftentimes don't see it again until April, it takes a special kind of person to deal with that year after year. We've had snow storms in early October and mid-May.

Jobs..... I disagree with people who say there aren't jobs. Jobs are what you make it if you wish to live here bad enough. Could we make more money elsewhere? Absolutely!! But the our quality of life and the things we ultimately value can rarely be found anywhere else but here.
If I could live here with my family of five and make it happen on $30k a year, or if I could live elsewhere that doesn't offer the wilderness we have here and make $100k a year doing the same thing....... I'm going to pick da U.P. and $30k every single time.

It all boils down to priorities IMO. This place is just right for some folks to live, it's just right for some folks to visit, and it holds absolutely zero interests for many folks. I have several family members who have never been up here and have no intention of it.
Different strokes for different folks.
Personally, I would like to keep the population levels down thank you very much
I agree with you. if I could make $100,000 living in say California...or $30,000 living in the U.P...no contest at all...U.P. easy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan