Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 10:53 PM

528 posts, read 886,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
Marhsal has grown up a lot since the Slim Shady LP. His lyrics reflect that and his attitude reflects that. I don't know, but I think this guy could use his influence and power to do something amazing for this city. Regardless of what you politicos out there think of Chrysler accepting bailout money, you have to admit that commercial last Sunday was emotionally powerful. Damn, even I got choked up.

So what do you think? Does Eminem have the ability to really do something great for the city of Detroit and state of Michigan? He seems like the ironic choice for a geographic icon given his past, but a lot has changed; let bygones be bygones, right?

On the first point, I've always kind of wondered why he hasn't been more vocal about that, but... I am often accused of being culturally illiterate, so I'm not sure if it's a failing on his part, or mine.

I think he may be beginning to realize what he could do to help Detroit and Michigan in general, and yes... I expect he may be a bit more of an activist in the future. Not sure why, but.... I sense something stirring.

As to the second.... Ah... Here's goes nothing...

I grew up with.... many of the difficulties he has discussed in his childhood. You have to face those demons, one way or another. Sometimes many ways. There is a difference between talking about those experiences, and glorifying them. I think there are folks who are unhealthy who think he was putting such behavior up on a pedestal, rather than the exorcism I always took his more... controversial material to be. Love The Way You Lie being an excellent example. Here we have the "new" Eminem, but that's raw. But I don't hear "I get off on beating my woman". We all know the meaning behind that song. Catharsis, not promoting a.... lifestyle.

I have to say, I've often wondered if we'd ever hear something out of him like Not Afraid.... didn't think we would quite so soon. It was a courageous move, and and still incredible entertainment. It's a fine line to walk without coming across preachy, and I think he pulls it off for the same reason some of his prior work offends some people so much: he's not afraid to get in the mud with the pigs, roll around, get out, and go take a shower. He's also not afraid to hose down a pig.

Lordy, what a tortured analogy.... Ugh. Too late to make any darn sense.

I can only say that the reason we're foster parents, the reason I took in my daughter's friend and her daughter, the reason they're coming to visit, the reason my church, the community work I do is so important to me, is because that is how I deal with my demons. It's not happening on my watch. If I have a breath left in my body, and there is a need, I will keep working, keep fighting, until I meet it. It's easy for me to sit on my rear and do nothing. Helping those in need.... But for the grace of God....

I expect there is a strong vein of that behind what we think we know of Mr. Mathers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 07:17 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,353,725 times
idw2s, I think I get what you are driving at. And I believe fatherhood has been a positive influence on him. My husband has seen him chaperoning for his daughter's class at the museum where he works. He seemed quite involved with the students; pointing out various displays, etc. Of course, he did have an entourage of bodyguards keeping other fans and autograph hounds away, but for the safety of all the kids, I truthfully don't blame him.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:16 PM

749 posts, read 2,439,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I wouldn't buy a car from him.
Why stop there....I wouldn't buy a CD, concert ticket, t shirt, or for that matter anything from this enimen clown. Although it was a well wriiten commercial it was an obvious attempt at somehow to think that by using this foul-mouthed pitchman it would bear fruit for the younger generation to go out and buy Chrysler since long time Chrysler loyalist are now nearing their demise.

Now if Bob Seger would have been sharing a blunt with the dark haired beauty in the back of a 2010 Chrysler workin his night moves,( in a tastefull presentation, of course) I might consider buyin a Chrysler, otherwise enimen is blip on the radar screen and don't expect him to ressurrect Detroit or Chrysler in any way shape or form.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:52 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,974,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1coolcustomer View Post
Why stop there....I wouldn't buy a CD, concert ticket, t shirt, or for that matter anything from this enimen clown. Although it was a well wriiten commercial it was an obvious attempt at somehow to think that by using this foul-mouthed pitchman it would bear fruit for the younger generation to go out and buy Chrysler since long time Chrysler loyalist are now nearing their demise.

Now if Bob Seger would have been sharing a blunt with the dark haired beauty in the back of a 2010 Chrysler workin his night moves,( in a tastefull presentation, of course) I might consider buyin a Chrysler, otherwise enimen is blip on the radar screen and don't expect him to ressurrect Detroit or Chrysler in any way shape or form.
I think you and Retroit are looking at this the wrong way. We're talking about an individual who could use his newly-minted star power to do something incredible for this city and for this state. If you don't like his music, fine. I'm sure there are policemen and firemen and doctors out there that cuss like sailors, too. I suppose you wouldn't want them to come to your aid because of that?

Old 02-12-2011, 06:55 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,713,823 times
I think folks are focusing to much on the messenger as opposed to the message. Detroit has a TON of stars who could have done this commercial. This commercial has the power of the "Pure Michigan" ads. The only thing that these commercials are doing is showing Michigan and Detroit in a POSITIVE light. Thats the "magic". The magic is not emineem or Tim Allen in the pure Michigan ads, its simply the novelity of Michigan and Detroit being put in a positive light. People have been bashing Michigan in General, and Detroit in particular, for so long that when something positive is shown the juxtaposition/contrast makes people realize what the state and Detroit has to offer.

I can tell you when I lived in Atlanta in the mid 80's all they did down there was focus on the positive, despite a ton of negatives. In Detroit and Michigan it was the complete opposite. Guess what folks......its called self reinforcing prophecy. The day Michiganders, West Michigan and suburban Detroiters, start treating Detroit positively is the day the REAL turn around begins. I swear you would think some peoples paycheck is tied to Detroit bashing. Maybe the more they can talk down of Detroit the better they can feel about themselves.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:05 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,860,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1coolcustomer View Post

Bob Seger doing some chick in the back of a car? I just threw up in my mouth a little. I will admit that I don't agree with Eminem's language, particularly directed toward gays.

When it comes to this ad, I agree with Indentured Servant and Z3N that some people can't seem to see the forest for the trees.

Last edited by magellan; 02-12-2011 at 07:36 PM..

Old 02-12-2011, 07:53 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,353,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I think folks are focusing to much on the messenger as opposed to the message. Detroit has a TON of stars who could have done this commercial. This commercial has the power of the "Pure Michigan" ads. The only thing that these commercials are doing is showing Michigan and Detroit in a POSITIVE light. Thats the "magic". The magic is not emineem or Tim Allen in the pure Michigan ads, its simply the novelity of Michigan and Detroit being put in a positive light. People have been bashing Michigan in General, and Detroit in particular, for so long that when something positive is shown the juxtaposition/contrast makes people realize what the state and Detroit has to offer.

I can tell you when I lived in Atlanta in the mid 80's all they did down there was focus on the positive, despite a ton of negatives. In Detroit and Michigan it was the complete opposite. Guess what folks......its called self reinforcing prophecy. The day Michiganders, West Michigan and suburban Detroiters, start treating Detroit positively is the day the REAL turn around begins. I swear you would think some peoples paycheck is tied to Detroit bashing. Maybe the more they can talk down of Detroit the better they can feel about themselves.
Didn't Tim Allen get busted for drugs once upon a time? And yet here he is being touted of all that is good and pure in Michigan. My point is: we have the choice to hate the sin, but not the sinner. If Tim Allen is good for Michigan, why can't Eminem be good for Chrysler and/or Detroit. I personally wouldn't be caught dead wearing an Eminem t-shirt, but then I probably wouldn't be caught dead wearing a Bob Seger t-shirt, and I am actually like most of his music.

I think some posters are getting caught up in their own likes/dislikes and are failing to see the potential of stars like Eminem, Tim Allen, and Jeff Daniels to spin Detroit/Michigan in a postive light. We are going to need some powerful spokespersons to help put our best foot forward if we are going come back economically.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:31 PM

3,749 posts, read 12,409,032 times
Personally I don't care who the messanger was. That commercial made me extra proud of my ties to Detroit. As many have said - it not only showed the good of Detroit but made you FEEL good to be from Detroit. Its a powerful commercial.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:42 PM

8 posts, read 12,037 times
There is great potential for Eminem, Kid Rock and other great performers speak out and stand up for Detroit. It is obvious that Eminem has passion for this city. Even last night at the Grammy awards while he accepted his award he stated “Detroit stand up.” I just feel that a mega star like himself he can be a voice to the vacant streets of Detroit. He truly appears to want to shed some light to a great city.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:53 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
That commercial inspired pricde in my being from Detroit. It made me ask my son to play some of his music for me (it was not very good, but my son siad that was all eh could find and there is better stuff out there). Funny thing is what it did not do is inspire me to go buy a Chrysler, or even to go look at one. In fact, it inspired no interest in me in that car whatsover, not even enough to lookit up on the internet and see what it is (an I am a car buff). It was a great commercial for Detroit, but I think that they should have said something about the car, or showed more of it if they wanted people to become intersted in the car.

What is it? I ahve never heard of a Chrysler 200? Some sort of BMW competition? Is it like a lexus? Cadillac? Taurus? Does it get good mileage? Does it go fast? Is it nice inside? How many peole does it seat? All they told us was that Chrysler makes a sedan called the 200 and it is made in Detroit (is it made in Detroit? I am not even sure of that. At elast the Cherokee commercials tell you that it is designed and made here - well probably not in Detroit, but at least inthe US).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan