Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 08:12 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,907,128 times

Advertisements

Never. First time mine introduced themselves was probably two years after when both their basements were flooded, when both knocked on the door at various times asking me if mine was flooded. After seven years with these, I won't ever again answer the door. Before that, one of these old battleaxes indirectly introduced herself when she called the HOA when I dropped a jar in my kitchen late one night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 06:43 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,858,652 times
Problem solved, met them at the bus stop.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:01 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,127,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
The house next door to us just recently sold, and I wanted go gauge peoples perceptions of when is the right time to go introduce yourself:

) As soon as it looks like they are done unpacking?
) A few weeks later?
) Months?
) Never, just wait until you meet them organically?
) Never, new people just means new problems.
I remember when our family moved in to our house in Arcadia, CA. That evening the neighbors brought over a nice casserole so my mom wouldn't have to fix dinner after unpacking all day. I was in Jr. high at the time so this was several years ago. But it was a wonderful introduction to what turned out to be a very nice and friendly neighborhood.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:41 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,901,713 times
If it looks like the guy has some great tools you can borrow.....right away.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:35 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
While they are moving in. Go ask them if they need any help and bring them some cookies. Invite them over for dinner that day or any day that week so they do not have to try to make dinner while unpacking.

Right away is wehn they are the most needy and your help will be most appreciated.

Also if you know other neighbors throw a welcome party for them after a week or two.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:27 AM

6,790 posts, read 8,199,641 times
I think you should wave while they are unpacking if you see them, and stop by and introduce yourself after a couple of days. When we moved into Huntington Woods, people said HI as we were unpacking, but mostly let us unpack for a couple days, we received welcome baskets after a few days which I appreciated greatly. Huntington Woods is tight knit, very friendly, and has a strong sense of community pride. Every community is different though, some areas people keep to themselves, but I think most people appreciate being welcomed into a new neighborhood.

Last edited by detshen; 09-07-2011 at 07:35 AM..

Old 09-07-2011, 08:06 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,901,713 times
I would think thats one of the things you are most nervous about...at least I would be, is what are your neighbors gonna be like. If you have crappy neighbors it could make for a miserable experience, so letting them know your friendly in the first week at least, can make them..and you, feel a bit more at ease.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:13 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,858,652 times
Our previous neighbor in that house met us after our 80lb dog ran over there and licked them to death. I'd prefer to do it a little more formally.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:24 PM

235 posts, read 536,571 times
I don't recall ever doing this in my adult life. It might be because the one side is vacant and the other side is renters that come in and out. I'm pretty sure if I moved somewhere and someone baked us a casserole, we would feel bad accepting it and would certainly not eat it.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:22 PM

481 posts, read 943,712 times
We just moved to MI about a week ago, so coming from the movee perspective I say you introduce yourself right away. No one really came over to initiate converstaion with me and I ended up going to them when I saw them outside. Most of them were really nice but some would just say "hi" or wave and that made me feel kind of bummed. Once I introduced myself though, one of the neighbros was so sweet and brought us pecan bars. They were delicious and it was so nice having something home baked after living in a hotel waiting for furniture and having to eat fast food for days.

However I did learn from our move to Arkansas a few years ago, not to assume anything about anyone. When we moved in to our house we noticed that we had never heard anything from our next door neighbors for weeks. I saw their car there, but I found it odd that they never came over or introduced themselves and we got worried when noticed they were gone a lot and the lawn was getting raggedy. I found out 2 months later when my hubby met him, that his wife had gotten into a horribly bad accident 2 hours away from home and had been in the hospital the whole time. I felt so bad I had never gone over. So I made them some dinners even though I was the newbie. When she finally came home we became quick friends and they ended up being really nice people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan