Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2007, 12:19 AM

201 posts, read 1,122,337 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know why the taxes are so high in Romulus for most new homes?In certain areas, this makes it hard to sell homes, besides the real estate not doing too well. Any comments "Romulites"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2007, 04:40 AM

262 posts, read 787,918 times
If you look across Michigan the TAXES are all high, I was checking out Southfield to buy house's in foreclosurer and the TAXES are running about $9,700.00 for the year, I know here in Roseville these brain dead people of Roseville voted to increase the TAXES here by 5 mills. Plus you have to understand that the Governor doesn't know anything but how to raise TAXES on Michigan residents cause she sure doesn't have a plan to bring Business to OUR State. If you check out TAXES in other States you'll find it's cheaper to live some place else, in Las Vegas the TAXES for a year on property is around $836.00 on a two bedroom house. where here in Roseville on my three bedroom house I will pay close to $3,000 and they have my property value at $65k

Old 09-01-2007, 10:48 AM

Well put "our" forum firiend! Here in Romulus, especially, on the golf course, they are between $6,000-$7,000. I did not know that Southfield was so high. How in the world can Roseville vote on higher taxes? That is ridiculous!

Last edited by janette moss; 09-01-2007 at 10:49 AM.. Reason: left out a word

Old 09-01-2007, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janette moss View Post
Well put "our" forum firiend! Here in Romulus, especially, on the golf course, they are between $6,000-$7,000. I did not know that Southfield was so high. How in the world can Roseville vote on higher taxes? That is ridiculous!
Sounds like you have a pretty good "handle of knowledge" on the Governor.

Old 09-01-2007, 10:47 PM

34 posts, read 108,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janette moss View Post
Does anyone know why the taxes are so high in Romulus for most new homes?In certain areas, this makes it hard to sell homes, besides the real estate not doing too well. Any comments "Romulites"?
Because for some reason, MI voters keep electing and re-electing politicians who do nothing more than redistribute the earned wealth of others to those who contribute less. Stand up and vote in more fiscally conservative individuals who understand that prosperity has to start with successful businesses and not with protectionism and taxes to placate those with their hands out for someone else's hard-earned money. Your house and taxes are reminders of days-gone-by when times were good and people paid taxes without thinking about where the money went.

Old 09-02-2007, 03:46 AM

7 posts, read 25,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdhen View Post
Because for some reason, MI voters keep electing and re-electing politicians who do nothing more than redistribute the earned wealth of others to those who contribute less. Stand up and vote in more fiscally conservative individuals who understand that prosperity has to start with successful businesses and not with protectionism and taxes to placate those with their hands out for someone else's hard-earned money. Your house and taxes are reminders of days-gone-by when times were good and people paid taxes without thinking about where the money went.
This is so ignorant I do not know where to begin.
Lets start with a history lesson. Governor Engler, supposedly a fiscal conservative signs prop A into law creating a tax cap to help seniors out. This caps the taxable value of a home. When that home is sold the value is redetermined and the taxable value goes up. When prop A was created it limited the income that communities take in to support local services. The local communities determine where the millage rate (tax) is set. Gov Engler also eliminated most of the revenue sharing that takes state money and REDISTRIBUTES it back to the communities. This put those communities that are not growing in a real financial bind so most voted to raise local taxes in order to pay for things like police and fire.

Today our new Governor recently signed into law the new Michigan Business Tax. This reduces taxes, especially property taxes, by almost 2/3 for businesses and places the tax burden on those businesses that sell in Michigan but do not have a presence here (no workers). The new MBT did not raise taxes one bit on existing Michigan Businesses and actually lowered them significantly. As far as businesses taxes go, Michigan went from the middle of the pack to one of the lowest tax locations in the country.

Now lets talk about personal taxes. Yes the Governor wants to increase revenue. Most of this is because we use to have a larger government. In those times we made promises to those that work for the government that they would have a retirement and health benefits after their service to the state was over. The cost of health care has gone through the roof for every one every where in the country. This was the same promise that GM, Ford, and Chrysler made to their employees. There are now more people that are retired from all those places than working for them. When Governor Engler took office Health care costs were much lower. The then Big Three were still dominating the Auto market and times were better. He reduced the Personal income tax level from 4.6% to 3.9% while he was in his lame duck term. He knew this was not sustainable at the time and it would hit who ever came in after him.

There are two proposals floating around Lansing theses days. First is to restore personal income taxes to the 4.6% or to increase the sales tax. The cool thing about a sales tax increase is that you really do not have to pay it if you do not want to. Just do not buy anything.

If Michigan has any real issue it is with the level of ignorance of its citizens. The government is not to wholly to blame for our current state of affairs. It is the ignorance to the fact that all jobs in Michigan are tied to the state of our Auto industry. If it is not doing well, none of us are doing well. If you need to blame someone blame Pfizer, blame your neighbor for buying a Toyota, and blame your grandma for not dying fast enough. Now to you, personally you should back away from the key board, get an education, and you will see that things are not nearly as bad as you think they are. I would highly recommend studying economics because you clearly know nothing about the subject. What is going on in Michigan has happened in the Carolinas in the 90's with the textile industry and has happened in the Midwest in the 80's with farming.

If you want to understand why you cannot sell your home it is because of the people like the guy I quoted talking about how bad things are, and others not having a clue due in part to their ignorance believing he may know what he is talking about. We have a 7% unemployment rate. This is bad compared to other places, but I remember times during the 80's when the country was run by the first Shrub, and when unemployment was static at 18%. 4% unemployment is considered as full employment where anyone that wanted a job can have one. Things are really not that bad. Michigan employers just no longer hire idiots. That is all that has changed! Class Dismissed!

Old 09-02-2007, 07:02 AM

34 posts, read 108,323 times
mrpickle, Although it wasn't your intention, I think you illustrate my points even more so what the issue is. People aren't 'ignorant' or an 'idiot' because they don't happen to agree with you, and defend or redefine the status quo. There is a tax and spend mentality that is pervasive. MI is making changes but it has to do so more swiftly and more deeply. Property taxes in Romulus and all over are a keen reminder of the amount of wealth redistrubution that occurs.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdhen View Post
mrpickle, Although it wasn't your intention, I think you illustrate my points even more so what the issue is. People aren't 'ignorant' or an 'idiot' because they don't happen to agree with you, and defend or redefine the status quo. There is a tax and spend mentality that is pervasive. MI is making changes but it has to do so more swiftly and more deeply. Property taxes in Romulus and all over are a keen reminder of the amount of wealth redistrubution that occurs.
AMEN -- ESPECIALLY TO YOUR LAST SENTENCE!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan