Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2012, 04:12 AM

6,424 posts, read 13,248,735 times

Advertisements

Snow and wind continue. Listening to the scanner last night, a few roads were closed by 9pm. At the house here, we've only received about 4 inches, but that's due to our location, too far north and too far south. There is a pretty good lake band setting up right over head, just have to see if it holds up. Winds have been up to 50mph over night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 09:12 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,942,213 times
Its not good here south of Marquette. Wind gusts so far 50mph plus at times. We are experiencing at times. white outs, and heavy drifting. I have not been out yet( plan not to until this afternoon when I may plow). Right now its snowing heavily, visibility about 200 foot at best, 20 foot at times. Temps are hovering over 16 to 13 degrees above 0.We have got about 6-10 inches last night ,but its hard to tell with all the drifting at this point. There are true Blizzard conditions in Alger County to the east. They have been lifted for Marquette County. WE are getting our first real taste of winter up here for sure.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:22 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,744,223 times
Detroit also saw its 12th warmest December on record, with an average temperature of 35.5*F (5.4*F above average). December ended below average in terms of snowfall with only 5.7" (average is 10.1"). For the year-to-date, we've seen about 6.6" and the average if 11.6". All it takes is one good winter storm to wipe out that deficit, so that's not too big of a deal for me considering it's just the beginning of January.

Meanwhile, I picked up a whopping dusting of snow today IMBY. However, at Metro Airport where Detroit's snowfall records are maintained, picked up 0.3" since yesterday.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esnox82 View Post
I've driven 3 RWD cars through Michigan winters. I'm on the road a lot too, and you just have to know your vehicle and understand what it will do in extreme situations. Had a Firebird for 2 winters, no problem. Dodge Ram 2wd, no problem, and most recently, I'm on my third winter with a RWD 6.0L V8 Pontiac G8 which has been the most challenging, because even the "all-season" tires aren't much better than summer tires. Take your time and know your vehicle, and you'll be out there with the SUV's no problem.
It depends on where you are and conditions. Some of what you have said here is irresponsible at best. That said , I know what you are saying, drive with conditions, but, the most dangerous cars out there are those that should not be because of the " all season tires". Nothing wrong with real wheel drive. AWD is better, and 4x4 is the best, proper tires in all cases. If it does not say M & S on the sidewall, its not safe for winter driving. True winter tires are better yet. I put them on my FJ Cruser and it became a very different vehicle, a true winter car. And , I have all the right stuff like skid control, rear wheel lock up, etc., but with all season tires it was a nightmare in winter up here in the UP. Short WB cars are not good for our conditions ar any conditions anywhere where there is blowing snow and slick roadways.
Now, I now we are getting off subject? . so, I will let every one go back to local programing, unless you all want to hear more,? I have a lot to say on the subject.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:40 AM

Interesting what can happen in a few minutes Right now here S of Marquette, the sun is out, its almost stopped snowing, and the winds have decreased....shaping up to be a nice day here on the Northern Tier .!

Old 01-04-2012, 04:59 AM

6,424 posts, read 13,248,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWADT View Post
Weather in Michigan sucks from Nov. to May. Even light winters like this one, too little snow for those who like to play in it but too cold to be nice. When you have a lot of snow its a pain to keep your roof from collapsing and ice dams from forming. There are many places you can move that will not have this crap weather,...
If you hate it so much... Move!

Yesterday was one of the best winter days we've had this year, up here anyway. Temps were in the teens with nice sunny skies. Nothing better then a sunny day with snow and cool temps, it's just too bad I had to work.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Weather in Michigan sucks from Nov. to May. Even light winters like this one, too little snow for those who like to play in it but too cold to be nice. When you have a lot of snow its a pain to keep your roof from collapsing and ice dams from forming. There are many places you can move that will not have this crap weather, also the auto industry has not really recovered. I said before when every one said it was doing fine it was headed for a fall, its not recovered because it is based on the greater economy and that is far from recovered. If the GE does not rebound the auto industry will loose its recovery that was based on Toyota recalls and the earth quake in Japan that gave the boost to auto sales. This along with the US gov changing its fleet cars, I don't for a second think the AI is all good and fine again.
Many of us take the positive side these days. Things are not as bad as you think, Don't believe all the dooms day folks.
Right now, cars are selling, some models are very hard to find. Used cars are gaining value for a change. Up here in Upper Mi. we have the lowest unemployment in Michigan. fact is Mackinaw County is at 5 %.( and that's just over the bridge !) WE now have good snow cover, snow machines are out and flying all over the trails.Looks like a good year ahead for winter tourists.
Now I know , many still bemoan the lack of jobs, the offshore of out MFG. Again , our capital goods buying could not be better. Industrial Machinery sales are as strong as ever. There is lots of cash out there,. Home sales are recovering in select areas around the country. Farm land, and other bare property has never been worth more than today ! Many folks in the Ag. industry are doing very well. including the builders of machinery and equipment., like Cat and JD......All in all I think we are now on the up side....and getting better. Look for the Fed and the economist to start talking about interest rates going up, and inflation.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:26 AM

147 posts, read 226,496 times
i love michigan winters the colder and snower the better.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:27 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,901,713 times
Quote:
Weather in Michigan sucks from Nov. to May. Even light winters like this one, too little snow for those who like to play in it but too cold to be nice. When you have a lot of snow its a pain to keep your roof from collapsing and ice dams from forming. There are many places you can move that will not have this crap weather, also the auto industry has not really recovered. I said before when every one said it was doing fine it was headed for a fall, its not recovered because it is based on the greater economy and that is far from recovered. If the GE does not rebound the auto industry will loose its recovery that was based on Toyota recalls and the earth quake in Japan that gave the boost to auto sales. This along with the US gov changing its fleet cars, I don't for a second think the AI is all good and fine again.
Your opinion means nothing. You have changed your profile name a hundred times and all you do is complain about everything. And this is a weather thread...whats the auto industry have to do with weather?

Old 01-04-2012, 08:50 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,606,364 times
Quote:
i love michigan winters the colder and snower the better.
My favorite winter weather is when there is a foot of snow on the ground and temps are in the high teens/low 20's. This is cold enough to keep things looking crisp, clean, and white, even on most of the road sides. The snow sparkles at night. There is no slush anywhere. Just pure winter. That's the way I like it. Unfortunately we only get that for a few weeks at a time (at best) around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan