Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 05:57 PM

2 posts, read 20,907 times

Advertisements

Me and my boyfriend might be renting an apartment in and around Jackson. His job might relocate him to Addison. I looked up Addison and saw that the closest apartment building online was in Onsted. I was wondering what are the major slums around jackson and what parts of Jackson are nice. I found what looks like a nice apartment building in Jackson on Brooklyn road. Does anyone know this area very well? Maybe tell me what city near are the best for 2 young adults?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 10:23 PM

693 posts, read 2,257,577 times
Default Good Question

Jackson really isn't a good place for younger people........there are really only a couple decent apartment complexes, but houses are so cheap there rent is more expensive........you'd be much better off commuting from Ann Arbor.

Old 12-19-2007, 05:59 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
Is East Lansing closer to jackson than Ann Arbor? Ann Arbor is a long commute, but itis one of thebest cities anywhere.

Old 01-01-2008, 01:53 PM

6 posts, read 56,493 times
Default Not that bad

A typical reply. People are down on Jackson and it's not really that bad.

If you're commuting to Addison, then anywhere on Brooklyn Rd is safe. If you want to have fun, there are places in Jackson, and Ann Arbor is not that far a drive.

The big apartment complexes in the Robinson/McCain Rd area or north of I-94 between Airport Rd and US 127. Alpine Lakes apartments is in the city on Fourth is at the edge of huge Sharp Park, which is the second biggest urban park in the US behind Central Park with a neat golf course, tennis courts, etc.

If you would like to live in the city, you should stay generally west of Third or Fourth Street and south of Ganson. The closer you can get to Cascades Park or Sharp Park, the better.

Old 01-01-2008, 03:34 PM

E. Lansing is about 60 miles from Addison. Ann Arbor is about 50 miles. Jackson is the only major city that is close at about 20 miles.

Old 01-02-2008, 12:02 AM

260 posts, read 908,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojack View Post
E. Lansing is about 60 miles from Addison. Ann Arbor is about 50 miles. Jackson is the only major city that is close at about 20 miles.
How far is Adrian? It's been a while since I've been there. Adrian was smaller than Jackson. It had a small mall and shopping district. Wallmart, Meijer, etc

Old 01-16-2008, 07:52 PM

According to Google Maps Addison is 18.6 miles from Jackson and 20.1 miles from Adrian. I don't know much about Adrian, in spite of having driven around it several times. It's about half the size of Jackson.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:48 PM

3,087 posts, read 1,075,994 times
With the price of gas I would get as close as I could. Ann Arbor would be to far. Hudson is another small town about 10 miles south of Addison you could check out. I'm not sure where on Brooklyn rd. you mean but its probably not to far from 127. You could probably buy a house in Jackson cheaper than renting. As Mojak said just check out the areas. By this time you probably already have a place, hopefully lol, also if renting you shouldn't be tied down there forever. Good LUCK.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:46 AM

693 posts, read 2,257,577 times
Default Woah......very false info here

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojack View Post
A typical reply. People are down on Jackson and it's not really that bad.

If you're commuting to Addison, then anywhere on Brooklyn Rd is safe. If you want to have fun, there are places in Jackson, and Ann Arbor is not that far a drive.

The big apartment complexes in the Robinson/McCain Rd area or north of I-94 between Airport Rd and US 127. Alpine Lakes apartments is in the city on Fourth is at the edge of huge Sharp Park, which is the second biggest urban park in the US behind Central Park with a neat golf course, tennis courts, etc.

If you would like to live in the city, you should stay generally west of Third or Fourth Street and south of Ganson. The closer you can get to Cascades Park or Sharp Park, the better.
Mojack:

I grew up in the Jackson area, Sharp park is NO where near the size of Central park, nor is it ANYWHERE near the 2nd largest "urban" park. Ann Arbor has a park bigger than Cascades......maybe you should do some reserach before touting "facts." No offense.....I just know the area after have lived in it for so long. Have you ever been to central park? Its almost the size of the city of Jackson.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:51 AM

19 posts, read 88,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sociologist View Post
Mojack:

I grew up in the Jackson area, Sharp park is NO where near the size of Central park, nor is it ANYWHERE near the 2nd largest "urban" park. Ann Arbor has a park bigger than Cascades......maybe you should do some reserach before touting "facts." No offense.....I just know the area after have lived in it for so long. Have you ever been to central park? Its almost the size of the city of Jackson.

I'll agree... Sharp Park is not the second largest urban park (at 530 acres, it doesn't rank in the Top 100). However, it is a decent sized park.

***ETA... I just looked up Central Park, NY.... 843 acres. The Top 100 list I just listed included State Parks, so I guess that doesn't really count as "city" park***

Anyhow... it is just 300 acres less than Central Park, so I'd have to say Sharp Park is right up there with being large.

Last edited by nic073; 01-21-2008 at 11:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan