Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2012, 07:01 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlettfox1 View Post
Sure, except there's up to a 27% unemployment rate "up north" as well as much worse weather. The top of the state near shuts down in the winter. That reminds me of "The Shining" a little too much... lol
I would LOVE to see your link showing 27% unemployment in Counties in Northern MI. Highest I can find is Baraga County with 15.7%. You seem to be spewing a lot of your personal feelings as facts in your posts. I can understand being upset with an area you are living in, but that doesn't mean your perceptions are true. The post I quoted shows how little you really know of the northern part of the State.

I felt the same way about the Northeast when I lived there and couldn't wait to get the hell out and back to the friendly people of MI. Get away from the hustle and bustle rude Northeast was my mantra for years until I could get back here to MI.

Last edited by Bydand; 09-10-2012 at 07:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 08:08 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,550,852 times
people that dont like michigan dont get defensive when you are told to leave. Most people here love their state and really dont like hearing it bashed.

Anyway how about that Lions game Sunday?

Old 09-11-2012, 09:28 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,310,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlettfox1 View Post

For the folks that move to other states like FL or NV from MI and say how it sucks- well, yeah, of course it does. Those states suck even more than MI does. Do your homework! Live a happy life, whatever that means. I mean no offense to those who love this state for their own reasons, and I respect that. This is MY opinion and experience, and it's real. So it's not for me, and that's ok. I know I vented a little, please forgive me, I just am so fed up with it all. I have tried time and time again to make this work for me, and I just don't see it happening. And please don't discount it- I am a very friendly person, I say hello to people first, I have gone to schools, had jobs, tried and tried and tried again.
but then you say, in the same post, "People who can't accept the above because they are either a. in denial, b. have never been anywhere except for a vacation or two, or c. truly believe that michigan is the greatest thing on the planet because they say so and that's that." You call that "respect"?

You sound like you are miserable to the point where you are skewing the truth to fit your personal agenda and trying to make other people feel that if they aren't miserable in Michigan then they are clearly delusional instead of happy and contented, because you want them to be as miserable as you are. NY (NYC in particular) and NJ are notorious all over the country for being filled with rude, selfish people, yet in your reality, they are wonderful and friendly EVERYWHERE you go in those areas? Hmm...gotta wonder.

Still, it sounds like everything about Michigan makes you cringe, much like someone who is the parent of a young boy using the expression "OMFG" makes me cringe. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:09 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I would LOVE to see your link showing 27% unemployment in Counties in Northern MI. Highest I can find is Baraga County with 15.7%. You seem to be spewing a lot of your personal feelings as facts in your posts. I can understand being upset with an area you are living in, but that doesn't mean your perceptions are true. The post I quoted shows how little you really know of the northern part of the State.

I felt the same way about the Northeast when I lived there and couldn't wait to get the hell out and back to the friendly people of MI. Get away from the hustle and bustle rude Northeast was my mantra for years until I could get back here to MI.
Right, Aroostook county is not fast paced in the least...

Old 09-11-2012, 06:27 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Right, Aroostook county is not fast paced in the least...
Aroostook County isn't, the rest of the Northeast is though. I worked all over the Northeast and couldn't wait to get the hell out of there.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:11 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,906,480 times
I'd love to leave. However, my house is worth a third of what I paid for it, my wife has a successful business whose model won't translate everywhere, I have some seniority in my union job, and I'd have to buy a new car because my truck won't pass a smog check anyplace I'd like to live.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:09 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Aroostook County isn't, the rest of the Northeast is though. I worked all over the Northeast and couldn't wait to get the hell out of there.
The North Country is the best bet in New England, but fewer jobs. I like northern NH and the NEK. I'm so fiscally conservative that I can live anywhere I choose to as long as I have a decent position. I'm with you because I can't stand living in big city metros with sprawl everywhere. I can be out in the country in a few minutes where I live now in WI and that is a key quality of life feature that I enjoy.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:58 PM

272 posts, read 724,254 times
Default Well.....

All I can say is I've been on the other side of the fence....and the grass wasn't greener. In fact, it was quite a bit browner. I'm happy to be be back in Michigan!!!! And I aint leavin again!!!

Old 09-13-2012, 03:37 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,310,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivoniaMi View Post
All I can say is I've been on the other side of the fence....and the grass wasn't greener. In fact, it was quite a bit browner. I'm happy to be be back in Michigan!!!! And I aint leavin again!!!
DITTO!!!!!

Old 09-15-2012, 01:59 AM

6,790 posts, read 8,198,821 times
Quote:
If I could move right now would I? NO, a very resounding no! It took me years to be able to make my move back to MI a reality and I don't plan on leaving while still alive.

What is holding me here? Good jobs, great pay rates, low cost of living, abundant clean fresh water, 4 great seasons, friendly people, beautiful scenery, great fishing, great hunting, everything I want or need is here.

Of course it took me years of living elsewhere to really see how good I had it here to begin with and how wrong I was when I moved years ago to "someplace better." After living in the South and Northeast and traveling to 48 of the 50 States (over a week in each to count for me), I have come to the conclusion that MI is home and always will be. So I moved back to my home state and will never leave again. I cherish the years spent in other States and would never give them up because I have made friends all over the US and Canada, and have memories that are outstanding of every state I have been to. Without those experiences and travels I would not have the full appreciation of what MI has to offer. Without those other addresses I would question if I really am where I can be the happiest and the have most fulfilling life I could have. With those moves though, I KNOW this is where I need and want to be.

Is MI for everyone? No, that is an absurd thought, some will be better off someplace else. That is fine with me, more room in this great place for me and those who do enjoy what we have.
I totally agree, I also have lived in many other places. I grew up in Detroit, in my early twenties I moved to southern California, and spent quite a few years there, then moved around a bit. MI has a lot to offer, it a beautiful state, and there is so much to do both in urban settings and natural settings.

The one thing I don't like about it is how negative many people are about the state, there is a lot to be proud of, but may people focus only on the negative, or supposed negative like the weather, so MI has winter, so what? Half the country has a cold winter, ours is far from the worst, at least in SE MI where I live. I find the four seasons a benefit to living here, I lived in SoCal where it's sunny and 70-75 degrees all year, it's nice for a couple years, but then it becomes very boring, if you are in tune with nature, you can feel that the seasons have a purpose and every one of them can be enjoyed, and be a great part of life. I could never enjoy living in the south with the hot, humid summers, the heat makes me feel horrible, I would chose winter any day.

People who say there is nothing to do aren't looking. I live in Detroit, and I enjoy so much art, culture, and food. Detroit has a great symphony, opera, as well as many touring shows of all types of music and dance that come through town. If you like sports there is no shortage of events to attend. I also enjoy the natural beauty of MI, the trees, greenery, rivers and lakes. There is something here for everyone. I'm happy to be back, I just bought a house and plan to stay long term.

People who think the grass in greener somewhere else may be surprised to find out that Mi is a great state, but they just didn't appreciate it.

Last edited by detshen; 09-15-2012 at 02:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan