Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2009, 10:14 AM

10 posts, read 35,166 times

Advertisements

The employer is in Auburn, Indiana. I interviewed with them a little over a week ago. If they hire me, they will relocate me there, including buying my house. I can't pass that up.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:24 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,146,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottDW View Post
The employer is in Auburn, Indiana. I interviewed with them a little over a week ago. If they hire me, they will relocate me there, including buying my house. I can't pass that up.
Wow, I wouldnt pass that up either. I wish you the best of luck. You will find Indiana a little slow on somethings and the state has a little bit of a time warp but the cost of living is cheaper than Michigan. Property taxes are half of Michigan, that surprised me the most. Food is cheaper except for eating out. Get your fill of pizza cuss its not so great here in Indiana. Good luck!

Old 01-19-2009, 01:17 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Default Looking to go west

Got my lay off notice 1/9/09. Started looking here in Michigan but..MT...just started looking towards New Mexico, Colorado, Kansas or maybe even Texas. Unless I find something in the next 2-3 weeks, I am pretty sure I have a place to work In western Kansas. If not then it's off to South Carolina for sure. My wife and I will be gone by September. Even two of my brothers who are facing possible lay offs say they will leave state as well if they get the pink slip.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:48 PM

541 posts, read 985,134 times
Screw it,I'm moving to Ireland and opening a pub,Call it Michigan chug & slug Pub

Old 01-19-2009, 05:22 PM

26,422 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Got my lay off notice 1/9/09. Started looking here in Michigan but..MT...just started looking towards New Mexico, Colorado, Kansas or maybe even Texas. Unless I find something in the next 2-3 weeks, I am pretty sure I have a place to work In western Kansas. If not then it's off to South Carolina for sure. My wife and I will be gone by September. Even two of my brothers who are facing possible lay offs say they will leave state as well if they get the pink slip.
I previously lived in western KS. If ya have to move there Hays or Colby are probably your best bets. It is nothing at all like Michigan or the Midwest, though!

Old 01-19-2009, 09:02 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Default Out of MI into the WILD WEST

How is Garden City area of Kansas>? Other than the slaughter yard, is it ok??

Old 01-19-2009, 11:11 PM

26,422 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
How is Garden City area of Kansas>? Other than the slaughter yard, is it ok??
I have been there a couple of times. I would make sure to visit a few times to make sure you like it enough. I would say about the only pleasant aspect of the town is Garden City Community College. Shopping is abundant for a town around 30K. However, the feedlots, packing plants, and slaughterhouses dominate SW Kansas. It is known as big commercial agriculture... Demographics resemble that of a TX border town so expect at least 60% of the population to be Hispanic. 35% of the population is under age 18 according to the Census stats..
The climate is semi-arid with constant wind all the time. The summer weather is very hot and windy and the winter weather is cold/windy. Severe storms can occur sometimes, but you can literally spot the storms coming from miles away because you hardly have any trees out there...
In conclusion, Garden City basically resembles a smaller scale version of Amarillo, TX and has some southwest influences for sure. They can not grow "Midwest crops" like corn without irrigation water derived from the underlying Ogalalla Aquifer.
GraniteStater

Old 01-21-2009, 11:02 AM

47 posts, read 152,118 times
Talking Plenty of work here in wichita, ks.

We have been here for a little over a year now and things are pretty good. I was laidoff from Visteon early in 07, found a job in the aerospace industry (SPIRIT AEROSYSTEMS) and things are going great!!
3 months ago we had our grand opening of our new business in Derby, Ks. we now run a scooter shop (mopeds).
My wife runs the shop while I work full time. We drive around town and we see help wanted signs around and in Wichita.
It was hard the first few months but we are working and enjoying the 40 to 50 degrees and sunny days, we have had 4 days where we had some snow and ice, no big deal!!
People from Michigan, there is life out there, I know a lot of people have no idea where Wichita is but believe me there is work here.
Would like to see more Michigan plates around town!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-21-2009, 11:07 AM

We live in Derby, Ks. and we like it alot, it is clean, good schools, prices of homes are pretty good, tons of sunny days, the traffic is great, hardly any jams at all.
We came from Canton and loved it there but my job went to India so here Iam working in the design and engineering field for 777, 747 and 767 planes.
Good luck to you. Go wings!!!!!!!

Old 01-21-2009, 11:09 AM

Default There is life outside of Michigan.....

Quote:
You will be ok bud.
We live in Derby, Ks. and we like it alot, it is clean, good schools, prices of homes are pretty good, tons of sunny days, the traffic is great, hardly any jams at all.
We came from Canton and loved it there but my job went to India so here Iam working in the design and engineering field for 777, 747 and 767 planes.
Good luck to you. Go wings!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan