Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 02:17 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,622,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinStrong313 View Post
I would choose Roseville if I were you. From the look at the SMART map that detwahDJ posted, you can see that Roseville has much more transit action around there then Livonia (which has none). I believe Livonia opted out of the SMART bus route (which was a very dumb idea imo). The transit options in western Wayne county as a whole are very far and few between as you can see from the map. If your going to be taking SMART to work, you can live near the Gratiot or Van Dyke corridor and get to Roseville easily since those are considered "main corridors routes".

Alright, awesome. Thank you, thank you. If I don't hear from Costco, it's been looking like transferring is the best option, but not every place here in PA has places in Michigan. How can I break into getting hired when I'm still in Pennsylvania? I plan on looking at places, but I don't want to move without a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 08:00 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,934,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
Alright, awesome. Thank you, thank you. If I don't hear from Costco, it's been looking like transferring is the best option, but not every place here in PA has places in Michigan. How can I break into getting hired when I'm still in Pennsylvania? I plan on looking at places, but I don't want to move without a job.
Not wise to move without a job lined up in some manner. Just research demand for your skills and make phone calls. Transferring would be the safest, so any Costcos in the Detroit area should be okay. Only you know what your job skills are. Googling detroit jobs got me these resources, but there are more.
http://www.indeed.com/jobs?l=Detroit,+MI&matchtype=b&network=g&device=c& devicemodel=&creative=28252087463&keyword=_inurl:i ndeed.com/l-&placement=¶m1=¶m2=&random=15683243312158367442& aceid=&adposition=1t1&gclid=CPeor9v26L0CFbFaMgodUQ wAEA

jobs in Detroit, MI | Jobs2Careers

Jobs in Detroit, MI - Search Detroit Job Listings | Monster

craigslist: detroit metro classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

Old 04-17-2014, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
Not wise to move without a job lined up in some manner. Just research demand for your skills and make phone calls. Transferring would be the safest, so any Costcos in the Detroit area should be okay. Only you know what your job skills are. Googling detroit jobs got me these resources, but there are more.
http://www.indeed.com/jobs?l=Detroit,+MI&matchtype=b&network=g&device=c& devicemodel=&creative=28252087463&keyword=_inurl:i ndeed.com/l-&placement=¶m1=¶m2=&random=15683243312158367442& aceid=&adposition=1t1&gclid=CPeor9v26L0CFbFaMgodUQ wAEA

jobs in Detroit, MI | Jobs2Careers

Jobs in Detroit, MI - Search Detroit Job Listings | Monster

craigslist: detroit metro classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events
Thank you. I applied at the Zoo in December. I applied for the social media coordinator and as a curator (I knew I wasn't qualified for the curator position, but I am definitely qualified for social media). I heard back from the zoo last month about the curator position; didn't get that, but I didn't hear at all about the social media position yet. It's frustrating because when I applied it said not to call and they'd contact me. I would love that job, I guess it's just a waiting game.

Yeah, I put my application in at Costco. I had a wisdom tooth removed and have been taking it easy this week (I even cut back some hours at my library job), but I'm feeling better and tomorrow I'll look into seeing where there is a Foot Locker in Michigan and apply at Bed, Bath and Beyond. I put my application in at Michael's Craft Store a few weeks ago and still nothing. I only applied to the Michael's in King of Prussia, PA, but marked willing to relocate. I'm just going to go back and put in the application for Roseville (I believe they are in Roseville).

Old 04-18-2014, 06:23 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
I have, but I really want to avoid Washington, D.C. Like I said, I love the Midwest. I haven't really found any school positions, but I know I saw a while back that one courthouse in Detroit was looking for translators in Arabic and French (I know some French), but you needed a lot of experience. I graduated in December and don't really have a lot of experience translating. I'm not sure if a school would be forgiving or willing to train? I'm intermediate in Arabic and can speak almost fluent German (I traveled to Germany, but have never been to the Middle East). I have also started writing children's books in Arabic and German that I'd like to get published someday.

I mean a job HERE in the Detroit Metro Area. There may be a few schools that would love to have someone like you who knows Arabic and willing to work with that school. Most would be charter schools in the city in areas like Hamtramck and possibly the International School in Oakland County.

EMAN. edtec, and Total Education Solutions are three place you might check if interested in a language position.

Also, quite a few charter schools were offering German as a language.

You will be doing good if you get the Costco position, settle in the area and look around for opportunities to get involved in the community. The book writing sounds like real possibilities.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I mean a job HERE in the Detroit Metro Area. There may be a few schools that would love to have someone like you who knows Arabic and willing to work with that school. Most would be charter schools in the city in areas like Hamtramck and possibly the International School in Oakland County.

EMAN. edtec, and Total Education Solutions are three place you might check if interested in a language position.

Also, quite a few charter schools were offering German as a language.

You will be doing good if you get the Costco position, settle in the area and look around for opportunities to get involved in the community. The book writing sounds like real possibilities.
Hi,

Yeah, I re-read that again last night. Sorry about that... I had a wisdom tooth removed, been in pain and medicines for it and I've been bullied about decisions from a family member... just stressed.

I'll definitely look at those schools. I haven't heard from Costco yet, but I'm going to try Bed, Bath and Beyond, Foot Locker and maybe Penney's. I also applied at Michael's Craft Store, but applied in the area I live in (marked "Willing to relocate"), but I'm going to fill out an app for the one in Roseville (I believe that was a location).

I'm really looking forward to the move and getting involved in the community. People have been asking if I was nervous and I said, "Not really."

Old 04-18-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Thank you. I applied at the Zoo in December. I applied for the social media coordinator and as a curator (I knew I wasn't qualified for the curator position, but I am definitely qualified for social media). I heard back from the zoo last month about the curator position; didn't get that, but I didn't hear at all about the social media position yet. It's frustrating because when I applied it said not to call and they'd contact me. I would love that job, I guess it's just a waiting game.

Yeah, I put my application in at Costco. I had a wisdom tooth removed and have been taking it easy this week (I even cut back some hours at my library job), but I'm feeling better and tomorrow I'll look into seeing where there is a Foot Locker in Michigan and apply at Bed, Bath and Beyond. I put my application in at Michael's Craft Store a few weeks ago and still nothing. I only applied to the Michael's in King of Prussia, PA, but marked willing to relocate. I'm just going to go back and put in the application for Roseville (I believe they are in Roseville).
OK, I did custom picture framing at Michael's and Joann's for a spell and know a lot about them. Their employment practices are very similar to other mall stores. For one thing, everyone but managers are/were part-time with no benefits (except for a joke of a "healthcare plan"). I can't say if they hire managers off the street, but I am still in occasional contact with my old boss (meaning I visit when in the area). You should inquire about this to make sure the salary and hours meet your needs, but asking about money right off the bat can probably be dicey (my opinion). There are other items I can speak of if you get a positive response and/or need more info.
In case it's not obvious, on applications and tests you must "tell them what they want to hear". At least initially, you can no longer sell yourself face-to-face with an interviewer. They certainly get thousands of apps which must go through corporate in some far-flung state - and who know what they do with them. They look for keywords and phrases to decide on who to contact next.

Last edited by detwahDJ; 04-18-2014 at 09:01 AM..

Old 04-18-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
OK, I did custom picture framing at Michael's and Joann's for a spell and know a lot about them. Their employment practices are very similar to other mall stores. For one thing, everyone but managers are/were part-time with no benefits (except for a joke of a "healthcare plan"). I can't say if they hire managers off the street, but I am still in occasional contact with my old boss (meaning I visit when in the area). You should inquire about this to make sure the salary and hours meet your needs, but asking about money right off the bat can probably be dicey (my opinion). There are other items I can speak of if you get a positive response and/or need more info.
In case it's not obvious, on applications and tests you must "tell them what they want to hear". At least initially, you can no longer sell yourself face-to-face with an interviewer. They certainly get thousands of apps which must go through corporate in some far-flung state - and who know what they do with them. They look for keywords and phrases to decide on who to contact next.
Ah, alright. I applied to be an instructor at Michael's, so maybe that's why I never heard from them. A friend I know works there said instructors have different rules than cashiers. I assumed since I had to take a math, grammar and logic test that they were testing for other positions as well. I have never experienced such a test while applying for a job. It was 10 minutes. I know they don't really hire many people in the King of Prussia area (they're understaffed and it seems to never change), so it's bizarre. Maybe I will try for Michigan with them. Is there an A.C. Moore in the area (that's another craft store)?

Old 04-20-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Ah, alright. I applied to be an instructor at Michael's, so maybe that's why I never heard from them. A friend I know works there said instructors have different rules than cashiers. I assumed since I had to take a math, grammar and logic test that they were testing for other positions as well. I have never experienced such a test while applying for a job. It was 10 minutes. I know they don't really hire many people in the King of Prussia area (they're understaffed and it seems to never change), so it's bizarre. Maybe I will try for Michigan with them. Is there an A.C. Moore in the area (that's another craft store)?
Never heard of A.C. Moore.
A.C. Moore

Re. instructors: I wasn't aware that they were assigned to stores. Framing instructors travelled regionally, mainly to newly-opened stores with a 2-week training program, then were virtually never seen again. Thereafter, training was the responsibility of the department manager, however other departments may be different. I wouldn't be surprised if current employees are given preference for those few positions - including managers. They did offer various craft classes for customers, and they trolled employees to fill these positions. I seem to recall that there was some "instructor" who came in once per week. Since you have a friend there, they would certainly know more about it.
There was a certain test for framers, and it was a standing joke how many applicants had trouble reading a ruler.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Never heard of A.C. Moore.
A.C. Moore

Re. instructors: I wasn't aware that they were assigned to stores. Framing instructors travelled regionally, mainly to newly-opened stores with a 2-week training program, then were virtually never seen again. Thereafter, training was the responsibility of the department manager, however other departments may be different. I wouldn't be surprised if current employees are given preference for those few positions - including managers. They did offer various craft classes for customers, and they trolled employees to fill these positions. I seem to recall that there was some "instructor" who came in once per week. Since you have a friend there, they would certainly know more about it.
There was a certain test for framers, and it was a standing joke how many applicants had trouble reading a ruler.
I'm bad at adding fractions and I know I failed that section miserably. I passed the grammar and logic portions with flying colours (I was also a philosophy minor). So, I'm not sure if how I did on the math portion has any standing with things.

I'll look at A.C. Moore. I'm going to call Costco on Friday. I'm not sure if I should call both locations or not, though.

If you celebrate Easter, I hope you had a good holiday!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan