Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 11:24 PM

167 posts, read 431,606 times

Advertisements

If Jennifer Granholm can't carry out the duties necessary to make this state great, then who can? Every day I hear people talk about what is wrong, or not right with this state, but I never hear any solutions on how to make to make it right. Who out there amoungst us has the answers to the problems?
Do you ever get the feeling that we have no idea what goes on around us?We have become so disengaged from the internal wokings of our government, that we live each day not knowing what tommorrow brings! We need to wake up! Take an interest in whats going on! If a revolution is whats needed, then so be it! Steve.................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 06:59 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,767,296 times
I doubt it's going to require a revolution. It's just an economic slump.

What we NEED, people, what we NEED is something new to manufacture in this state. We have all these manufacturing plants standing empty; they should have been converted long ago to making airplanes, toys, pasta, stationery sets, anti-nausea drugs, wind turbines, roof insulation, floor tiles, anything in fact but cars. We need to make something that the country needs and wants and will pay for.

And not just ONE new industry; we need LOTS of new industries.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:33 AM

641 posts, read 2,367,158 times
Default Re

You know, what I wonder is why Intel chose New Mexico. They have a lack of water in thier aquaford, and Intel uses a lot of water. I can only guess that they would have got highly taxed for the water use in MI? I remember they wanted to build a second plant there, and they were turned down because of the amount of water required.

Ama

Old 01-04-2008, 09:37 AM

11 posts, read 38,800 times
There in lies the problem. Business are being outrageously taxed. Get rid of all the high business taxes and businesses will come back, give people jobs, and pull MI right out of it's economical slump.

Give people a job and the rest will follow.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:12 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
I think that everyone knows one of the critical steps that needs to be done, but no one knows how it can be done. Stop catering to the unions. The unions went too far and rendered our workers and businesses unable to compete.

The big three are going to have to renege on some of their union obligations. There is just no way that they will compete or even survive with their current retirement and medical burden.

Labor is simply too expensive in Michigan. I do not dispute that workers should make a decent wage, but they also have to compete with other workers in other places.

I am told that Michigan is also not terribly friendly to industry. We have very strict environmental and safety laws that make it difficult for employers to operate here. I am not saying that employers should be allowed to pollute wildly or provide an unsafe workplace, but we may be going overboard.

We have downsides: not everyone likes or will tolerate our climate. Our workforce is less educated than many other areas. taxes are really not that high overall compared to many other state (we are in the middle), but the general atmosphere is pro labor and anti-employer. Our primary city has a terrible reputation.

We have pluses as well. Our infrastructure is pretty good although it is wearing out quickly and not getting repaired. We are well located near the middle of the country with good access to rail and shipping. We have extremely affordable housing. We have skilled labor (although not educated) suitable for low tech work. We have plenty of water which many businesses need, especially high tech manufacturing. It is very pretty here.
Detroit has the unique capacity to take a piece of metal and make or do almost anything imaginable to it. There are hundreds of small machine, plating, bending, molding, shops. Nowhere else in the world can offer such a one stop "make anything you want from metal" location. We are a good place to raise a family in a wholesome atmosphere. We have excellent schools and universities.

I think that there are three things that need to be done. Reduce labor costs, especially the labor burden. Educate our workforce to handle high tech jobs. Market our advantages heavily.

Even California markets their advantages on cable TV and they do not need to. I never saw a "come to Michigan" ad when I lived in California. I did see ads for Nevada, Virginia Utah and one of the Carolinas.

We have advantages, why are we not promoting our state? we should have ads showing how pretty it is, how cheap housing is. How large lots are generally available, and the capabilities of our multitudes of small support businesses to amke anyhtng imaginable.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:33 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,511,903 times
Default recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
We have advantages, why are we not promoting our state? we should have ads showing how pretty it is, how cheap housing is. How large lots are generally available, and the capabilities of our multitudes of small support businesses to amke anyhtng imaginable.
Been harping on that point for awhile on this forum. I didn't see the "Upper Hand." commercial in both Ma and NJ but it didn't make a splash. Look Michigan just like you said need to lure all types of small start up companies and give them the support to grow. In turn as these companies grow they will need to hire more people which basically means more jobs. I would also suggest the state really try not just to hire locals (though hiring local is always a good thing.) but hire outsiders that will hopefully bring new ideas to the state. This should help Michigan get on the road to recovery.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:22 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,767,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amatrine View Post
You know, what I wonder is why Intel chose New Mexico. They have a lack of water in thier aquaford, and Intel uses a lot of water. I can only guess that they would have got highly taxed for the water use in MI? I remember they wanted to build a second plant there, and they were turned down because of the amount of water required.

Ama
Big businesses generally go to Mexico because compared to Americans, Mexicans work practically for free. I doubt taxes even come into the equation -- they save something like 75-90% in wages, benefits, and perks.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:33 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,860,382 times
Someone, maybe the Mackinaw Center or the Upjohn Institute, should do an in-depth study of what New York State has down since 2003. From 2001 to 2003, they lost over 300,000 jobs, and they have now gained all of them back and then some. And New York is hardly a low tax, low cost state.

Bureau of Labor Statistics Home Page

Speaking of putting our manufacturers back to work, several West Michigan organizations got together and have put out a report detailing how Michigan manufacturers can transfer from automotive parts supply to the $71 Billion (and growing) renewable and alternative energy manufacturing industry.

Analysis: Target renewable, alt energy for jobs - Business Review Western Michigan - MLive.com
Grand Rapids – Rapid Growth - Energy + Innovation = Jobs + Investment
MLive.com: Everything Michigan
MLive.com: Everything Michigan (http://www.mlive.com/news/statewide/index.ssf?/base/news-0/119839419139500.xml&coll=6 - broken link)

One aspect of this is that it requires the State of Michigan to adopt a renewable energy portfolio of at least 10%. Of course that falls on deaf ears in Lansing.

Contact your legislators and tell them to get with the times. Thanks!

Old 01-04-2008, 01:54 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
Cliffie was talking about NEW MEXICO. I always wondered why Intel went there. they compete with the city of Albuquerque for a limited amount of water. They cannot expand. Intel would be a perfect company to court for Michigan. Good paying jobs and a very solid company.
They need water, we need companies. What a match!

Lets write them a letter and invite them.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:53 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,860,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Cliffie was talking about NEW MEXICO. I always wondered why Intel went there. they compete with the city of Albuquerque for a limited amount of water. They cannot expand. Intel would be a perfect company to court for Michigan. Good paying jobs and a very solid company.
They need water, we need companies. What a match!

Lets write them a letter and invite them.
Here's Intel's list of execs:

Intel Executive Bios - Corporate Officers

No email addresses though. You could pen a letter and send it to their corporate HQ in Santa Clara:

2200 Mission College Blvd
Santa Clara, CA 95054

Or you could send an email to the general contact listings:

Contact Us: Intel.com

And appeal to their Corporate Responsibility Principles and water usage, and why an expansion in Michigan would be more sustainable:

About Intel - Corporate Responsibility
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan