Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 09:30 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,448,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by upandrunning View Post
I would not give you two cents for Cheboygan. its a pit of a town and known as the arm pit of michigan by locals. It is one of the poorest county's in the state, and have never been able to come back in the down town area. Nothing to do there but eat chinese. LOL
Just as you have nothing to do but rip the state of Michigan. Dude, I am SO shocked that you just made another negative post in here!

Funny, I know a lot of very rich people that live in Indian River, Topinabee, and on the lakes mentioned in my last note. Those are all in Cheboygan county, by the way.

Can you at least change your name or something? I'm really getting sick of seeing it and knowing without reading on the drivel that's gonna follow.

I happen to have a couple cents that I WOULD give to not see you in the Michigan forum anymore. I could even leave it right outside the border in Ontario, Indiana, Ohio, or Wisconsin so you wouldn't have to soil your soul by being here one second longer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 09:41 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
Just as you have nothing to do but rip the state of Michigan. Dude, I am SO shocked that you just made another negative post in here!

Funny, I know a lot of very rich people that live in Indian River, Topinabee, and on the lakes mentioned in my last note. Those are all in Cheboygan county, by the way.

Can you at least change your name or something? I'm really getting sick of seeing it and knowing without reading on the drivel that's gonna follow.

I happen to have a couple cents that I WOULD give to not see you in the Michigan forum anymore. I could even leave it right outside the border in Ontario, Indiana, Ohio, or Wisconsin so you wouldn't have to soil your soul by being here one second longer!
He did!! Suuckie.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:35 PM

550 posts, read 2,052,786 times
there are definitely negatives to cheboygan, as there are in many other small sleepy towns in michigan...pennsylvania...anywhere...the difference is people focusing on the positive things vs. the negative things...........

i have posted many awesome things about cheboygan and the surrounding areas in this thread and others

i will not stoop to talk politics on here like the other lovely person.....as my mom works at the court house and my family members are lawyers in town.........

i look forward to my next visit, which might not be til summer

Old 01-21-2009, 05:01 PM

2 posts, read 6,299 times
Default Cheboygan

Cheboygan's a mediocre town; that's not to say it's bad, but there really isn't anything special about it. I was born and raised in Cheboygan, and from my experience I wouldn't recommed visiting much less moving here. The water is filthy from a past sewege incident, most of the buildings are run down or in disuse, the roads are terrible, and there are hardly any good places to eat, much less any thing to do besides fishing, hunting, or drinking, and that's just the beginning, the police are more likely to harrass you than help you, the school's are making many staff and budget cuts and have poor special education, there are almost no jobs besides a few openings at McDonalds or Walmart, and most family's here actually make less than 20,000 a year dispite our town median, and most of our citizens are actually elderly. Cheboyboygan is pretty small though so the traffic isn't confusing or crammed, and while the city doesn't look too good the town itself has alot of natural beauty with plenty of trees and lakes and a good view of the Mackinaw Bridge from the town light house pier; we also have several beautiful parks and some good camping grounds. However, if you have a fear of dogs I wouldn't recommed living here because it seems that everyone and there neighbor has a dog that sometimes get loose, and everyone who owns a dog here usually brings it camping. On the positive side of things we don't have much crime, well any news worthy crime any way, but then again most crime here is never caught. If your looking for a place with a decent church we got 'em in all shapes, sizes, and forms of Christianity, However if you don't particularly care for religion there are plenty of bars on every street corner. The majority of people here are actually pretty nice and helpful, eventough most of us aren't too bright we'll almost always help someone in need. I hope my insight is helpful for those either considering relocation or just curious about the town.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:22 PM

24 posts, read 56,820 times
Its a drab little town that has never had any money put into it to build up. Even though it sits on water and the river the property has never been as desirable as the west side. Its like Alpena, or what I call the 80 year old lady of the night, every knows where she lives but no one wants to go.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:54 AM

1 posts, read 3,347 times
I live in cheboygan for 15 yrs now , and it sucks for employment, the worst ive seen, but its in a beautiful location, and close to the upper peninsula 20 minutes , and cheboygan i never thought would be home living in ann arbor for 30 yrs , but now i go downstate and miss cheboygan and cant wait to get back, alot of beautiful country, it grows on you , and now is home , and yes this old house pizza and EVERYTHING they have is AWESOME, still waiting for a white castle though, its kind of like mayberry!

Last edited by lions20; 04-17-2009 at 10:56 AM.. Reason: forgot some info

Old 04-17-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lions20 View Post
I live in cheboygan for 15 yrs now , and it sucks for employment, the worst ive seen, but its in a beautiful location, and close to the upper peninsula 20 minutes , and cheboygan i never thought would be home living in ann arbor for 30 yrs , but now i go downstate and miss cheboygan and cant wait to get back, alot of beautiful country, it grows on you , and now is home , and yes this old house pizza and EVERYTHING they have is AWESOME, still waiting for a white castle though, its kind of like mayberry!

yay

can't wait to be there mid-june....and then in july!
(good luck with main st. construction )

Old 05-19-2009, 09:52 AM

211 posts, read 548,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew RS View Post
Cheboygan's a mediocre town; that's not to say it's bad, but there really isn't anything special about it. I was born and raised in Cheboygan, and from my experience I wouldn't recommed visiting much less moving here. The water is filthy from a past sewege incident, most of the buildings are run down or in disuse, the roads are terrible, and there are hardly any good places to eat, much less any thing to do besides fishing, hunting, or drinking, and that's just the beginning, the police are more likely to harrass you than help you, the school's are making many staff and budget cuts and have poor special education, there are almost no jobs besides a few openings at McDonalds or Walmart, and most family's here actually make less than 20,000 a year dispite our town median, and most of our citizens are actually elderly. Cheboyboygan is pretty small though so the traffic isn't confusing or crammed, and while the city doesn't look too good the town itself has alot of natural beauty with plenty of trees and lakes and a good view of the Mackinaw Bridge from the town light house pier; we also have several beautiful parks and some good camping grounds. However, if you have a fear of dogs I wouldn't recommed living here because it seems that everyone and there neighbor has a dog that sometimes get loose, and everyone who owns a dog here usually brings it camping. On the positive side of things we don't have much crime, well any news worthy crime any way, but then again most crime here is never caught. If your looking for a place with a decent church we got 'em in all shapes, sizes, and forms of Christianity, However if you don't particularly care for religion there are plenty of bars on every street corner. The majority of people here are actually pretty nice and helpful, eventough most of us aren't too bright we'll almost always help someone in need. I hope my insight is helpful for those either considering relocation or just curious about the town.

LOL...you are tooooo funny!!! The dogs, the churches, the bars...you are too much. Thanks for making me laugh!

Old 05-19-2009, 10:00 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,003,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew RS View Post
I lived near Houghton Lake and I totally agree with your assessment. Northern Michigan is all the same. It's taboo on here to talk negatively about Northern Michigan. The only place we can be negative about is Detroit. I'm surprised you didn't have problems with crime. The crime rate in Roscommon is double the national average and in a 10 year span, we had to call the cops 7 times. 4 for our property being stolen and 3 times because we heard a woman screaming for help while she was being beat.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
I lived near Houghton Lake and I totally agree with your assessment. Northern Michigan is all the same. It's taboo on here to talk negatively about Northern Michigan. The only place we can be negative about is Detroit. I'm surprised you didn't have problems with crime. The crime rate in Roscommon is double the national average and in a 10 year span, we had to call the cops 7 times. 4 for our property being stolen and 3 times because we heard a woman screaming for help while she was being beat.
cheboygan, kalamazoo, detroit, roscommon, gaylord, traverse city.....all of these places have negative things about them....there are cons about everywhere in michigan.....i live in philly and there are cons about a lot of stuff here too...the point is, why waste time complaining about things...focus on the positive things, there are so many awesome things about northern michigan including cheboygan, and some people may be unaware of them. why not focus on them?!
when everyone around you is being negative then the easy thing to do is be negative with them, make an effort and try to find the positive things, the good things in life....it will make everyone's outlook that much better
only three weeks and i'll be in in cheboygan/mackinaw for a wedding....and five weeks til i'll be in cheboygan for two weeks....i can't wait!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan