Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 08:50 PM

5 posts, read 16,538 times

Advertisements

Property taxes are high all over michigan. There was an artical a few weeks ago about how assessors are not adjusting home values down but up, even though the real value is going down.
MI doing everything it can to grease the slope into the the pit of dispair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 07:52 PM

4 posts, read 10,987 times
The taxe rate can vary considerably for several reasons.

The main reason would be the homestead tax credit which reduces the taxes for primary residences.
Another reason might be the cap. The tax cap limits property taxes to a maximum each year tied to the rate of inflation. That cap is lifted at the time of a sale. That might explain why someone has a much lower tax situation in a similar house in the same neighborhood.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:55 PM

4 posts, read 10,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow_temp View Post
Traditionally you could always expect the taxes to go up because the new owner would have paid more than the original owner did. I doubt many places are selling in MI for significantly lower amounts than what the original owners purchased at. Housing owners lost a lot or all of their paper gains lately but I'm not sure too many (unless they are very recent purchasers) lost a significant percentage of their original purchase price -- especially enough to make a difference in taxes.
Don't bet the farm on that statement. Property that is selling is down about 33% from the peak values. Most of that loss occurred in the last two or three years. I lost 30% on two different properties that took me two years to sell. Both sold last year and I know for a fact that both property owners lost more again this year.

Old 06-08-2008, 09:36 PM

2 posts, read 4,300 times
high taxes are not exclusive to just large cities in Mich. I live in the Upper Peninsula where they are quite hefty compared to larger cities out of state where I've lived. The problem being a lot of people are leaving the area because of the declining economy. The math is simple: Declining economy + declining population = higher tax load on remaining residents.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:42 AM

40 posts, read 76,396 times
Here is a chart to get an idea of where Michigan ranks Nationally in terms of property taxes (18th), along with such taxes as % as home value (14th), and as % of income (16th). We aren't really the highest or lowest.

Property taxes: Where does your state rank? - MSN Money

Old 06-10-2008, 01:54 PM

227 posts, read 795,305 times
Thank you for posting that link. We're in the situation of deciding where to move and that was very helpful information. Thank you.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:30 AM

78 posts, read 357,330 times
Default Headlee Amendment

FYI- Local assessment can not exceed inflation, per the state's Headlee Amendment, modeled on CA's 13th amendment. It's been in place for almost 30 years. So, your locality can not - under law - raise your property taxes beyond the inflation rate (that is, without a millage-rate increase approved by voters).
Headlee Amendment - Michigan in Brief

Old 06-30-2008, 01:03 PM

8,418 posts, read 7,417,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Lakes Pirate View Post
FYI- Local assessment can not exceed inflation, per the state's Headlee Amendment, modeled on CA's 13th amendment. It's been in place for almost 30 years. So, your locality can not - under law - raise your property taxes beyond the inflation rate (that is, without a millage-rate increase approved by voters).
Headlee Amendment - Michigan in Brief
The Headlee Amendment restricts tax increases without voter approval.

It's another Admendment to the Michigan Constitution (can't remember which, but the early 1990's Proposition A comes to mind) that keeps homestead property assessments limited to the rate of inflation or 5%, whichever is lesser. This homestead taxable value assessment gets reset whenever the property is sold or when the property is significantly improved (i.e. a second floor addition is added).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan