Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 01:30 AM

4 posts, read 8,084 times

Advertisements

Hey I'm looking to relocate to the edge of Michigan I'm wanting something with lots of water and a dock. Just starting to do my research and always looking for pointers for information. I'm a quick learn and can learn to do just about any job. I've been Management for stores in Malls, been building computers for 10 years which was self taught and after one month of learning I had built my own computer including having all the software drivers working properly.

I'm currently getting my Sports Pilots License.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 06:37 AM

693 posts, read 2,258,517 times
Well, fortunately there are thousands of lakes within Michigan in which you could find yourself near water and a dock. On the other hand, IT jobs are not so plentiful at the current moment, especially in more rural locations.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:58 AM

265 posts, read 801,749 times
There is more than 3,000 miles of Great Lakes shoreline in Michigan so many places to choose from.

Quote:
With 3,288 miles of Great Lakes shore, Michigan has more coastline than the entire eastern seaboard of the U.S. and more than any state except Alaska. Coastal resources are the foundations for jobs provided by many industries including automobile manufacturers and suppliers and tourism - Michigan's top employers. The coasts are also key to the quality of life in a state whose identity is shaped in large part by water, beaches and boating.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:32 PM

29,503 posts, read 14,663,209 times
It depends on what you want , do you want just a view or a canal front home ? Do you waterski or jetski ? Do you have a boat, if so how big because that will also determine which lake and where. Then if you have a boat , you will want to consider dockage , depth of canals , is there a hoist or will you have to buy one.

I had a small offshore style boat (26') and it was almost too small for Lake St. Clair. Which is were I would prefer to do my boating. I like going to different destinations, and LSC is perfect for that. Now the west side of the state has some great boating as well, but you destinations are spread out over a larger distance... I'd almost rather have a cruiser or a large (38'+ ) offshore boat for there.
If a view is all you need, there are plenty of smaller lakes you could buy on.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:49 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
Wyandotte until you have some money then move to grosse ile and get a house with a dock. Wyandotte has a decent downtwon and you can live right onthe water. You need to go to the public launch to put your boat in. Newport has affordable waterfront property. Gibraltar too. Those are getting a bit fr]ar from pretty much anything. The little groups of lakes in North Oakland county are nice, but crowded and expensive. lots of nice lakes and afforadbale places in the Pinkney/Hell area.

In parts of Ann arbor you can live on the huron river. But that is prettymuch canoeing and fishing. You might like St Clair shores.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Wyandotte until you have some money then move to grosse ile and get a house with a dock. Wyandotte has a decent downtwon and you can live right onthe water. You need to go to the public launch to put your boat in. Newport has affordable waterfront property. Gibraltar too. Those are getting a bit fr]ar from pretty much anything. The little groups of lakes in North Oakland county are nice, but crowded and expensive. lots of nice lakes and afforadbale places in the Pinkney/Hell area.

In parts of Ann arbor you can live on the huron river. But that is prettymuch canoeing and fishing. You might like St Clair shores.
Don't forget Harrison Twp , there are many canal front homes there. Also New Baltimore , Algonac , Marine city, and St. Clair.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:59 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,418,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Don't forget Harrison Twp , there are many canal front homes there. Also New Baltimore , Algonac , Marine city, and St. Clair.
There's more to Michigan than Metro Detroit. Check out the west side of state, especially places like New Buffalo, Michiana, and South Haven.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
There's more to Michigan than Metro Detroit. Check out the west side of state, especially places like New Buffalo, Michiana, and South Haven.
Don't get me wrong , I love the west side.. would really like to live in Holland or Grand Haven. But I hate to say it , the best boating is on the East side... just more places to go. I've boated on the west and it was great but for me could get old real fast. It's all good though.. as long as there's water !

Old 04-09-2009, 12:17 PM

265 posts, read 801,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Don't get me wrong , I love the west side.. would really like to live in Holland or Grand Haven. But I hate to say it , the best boating is on the East side...
And I say... the best boating is on the North side!

Old 04-09-2009, 08:39 PM

4 posts, read 8,084 times
I'm really wanting more to be on the huron side. so east side would be it for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan