Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 06:57 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,311,760 times

Advertisements

When we moved back to Michigan from Arizona a couple of years ago, both me and my dh found good, secure jobs almost immediately. Since then, I have had several other offers from companies that saw my resume on Monster.com and Indeed.com. All of them were right here in SE Michigan. My dh gets postcards in the mail almost every week from a couple of companies that want to hire him. They are also right here in SE Michigan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 07:07 PM

66 posts, read 124,995 times
Yes, there are definitely some snooty enclaves over towards Detroit. West Michigan is a much nicer and friendlier part of the state (except for having far too much lake effect snow)! However, you have to exclude Holland since there are many super snobby Dutchies there. They have a saying, "If you're not Dutch, you're not much", and they REALLY DO mean it. However, it's a nice town to visit first week of May for Tulip Time Festival and in the summer to enjoy the great beaches along Lake Michigan.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:03 PM

364 posts, read 877,901 times
Monster recently named Metro-Detroit the fastest growing job market in the country. There are definitely jobs here, and MI is a great place to live as well!

Old 09-22-2011, 07:34 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,077,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michsnowlvr View Post
Monster recently named Metro-Detroit the fastest growing job market in the country. There are definitely jobs here, and MI is a great place to live as well!
....Seriously???

Old 09-25-2011, 06:49 AM

6,424 posts, read 13,248,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostie View Post
....seriously???
yes!

Old 09-25-2011, 07:41 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,744,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostie View Post
....Seriously???
The measure was based on job advertisements. That doesn't mean a darn thing. Most job advertisement in boards are fake, as many companies are simply trying to test the water to see how bad the market really is (to see how much advantage they can take of it) or they simply never go filled, or the positions was likely filled internally (which doesn't have any effect on the unemployment numbers), but they still advertised for it and went through the typical hiring process just to seem fair so big gubbermint wouldn't harass them. And this is JUST on Monster.com.

In other words, it's another opportunity for more people to bury their hands in the hand because of clever wording.

Monster.com says Detroit-area job market fastest growing in the country | MLive.com

Quote:
Recruitment website Monster Worldwide Inc. says Detroit-area classified employment advertising was up 34 percent compared to last July, giving it the top job growth spot among metropolitan markets...
One real measure to see how well our job market is going is the unemployment rate, which is still stuck in the double digits and rising. Another real measure is the average number of people per job opening, which last I checked Detroit at least was ranked 48th with an average of 4 people per job opening. Then also remember the OFFICIAL unemployment rate which is alone rising and stuck in the double digits doesn't factor in discouraged and the underemployed, which I'm sure if it did the unemployment rate would likely be double what it is now, if not higher.

BTW, this post is from someone THAT HAS EXPERIENCE* searching for a job in this state during the past few years. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

Last edited by 313Weather; 09-25-2011 at 08:01 AM..

Old 09-25-2011, 04:44 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michsnowlvr View Post

We will know for sure this June. Seems the wife has a fantastic opportunity to work in the family business with potential earnings of $50K+..That of course will mean I will be looking for employment.
So unless Monster is hyping minumum wage "want to work in a rock and roll environment" jobs, I ought to have something in the first few weeks, at least month I am back...my B.\S. degree ought to be good enough to ask if they "want to super-size their order?" right? I might need a M.A. for the Wally World greeter...

Just looked through the first 5 pages of jobs on MOnster--Most were from a company called Deloitte Consulting LLP , K-force staffing temps / Kelly services and SALES...not sure where monster gets its data from. Seriously, can Deloitte have 200-300 positions in Detroit?

Old 09-26-2011, 07:16 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,856,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
We will know for sure this June. Seems the wife has a fantastic opportunity to work in the family business with potential earnings of $50K+..That of course will mean I will be looking for employment.
So unless Monster is hyping minumum wage "want to work in a rock and roll environment" jobs, I ought to have something in the first few weeks, at least month I am back...my B.\S. degree ought to be good enough to ask if they "want to super-size their order?" right? I might need a M.A. for the Wally World greeter...

Just looked through the first 5 pages of jobs on MOnster--Most were from a company called Deloitte Consulting LLP , K-force staffing temps / Kelly services and SALES...not sure where monster gets its data from. Seriously, can Deloitte have 200-300 positions in Detroit?
I would try sites like indeed.com, and even linkedin.

Deloitte is apparently in expansion mode:

http://www.freep.com/article/20110917/BUSINESS06/109170321/Deloitte-unveils-sign-RenCen (broken link)

Old 09-26-2011, 12:35 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,199,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post

Many smaller companies list jobs on Craigslist, there are many real good paying jobs among the spam, my fiancee' found his last legal job on there, it was a great job. He got that last job within 6 weeks of moving here from CA, that was in 08' when everyone was saying there were NO jobs. He has been out of work for awhile recovering from a serious motorcycle accident, but for the past two weeks he has been applying, he had an interview today, they are bringing him in for a second interview, and he also has a few more set up so clearly there are openings.

If you are in a skilled educated profession, there are jobs. I have met so many people who have been moved here by companies from other states because they couldn't find people with the right skills and education here. If you are looking for manufacturing jobs, then forget it, this isn't the place to be, actually if you are looking for those jobs it's best to leave the country because they aren't here anymore. Most companies here are looking for experience, if you are new to the workforce or trying to enter a new profession, it won't be likely to happen here, but if you have experience and education there are jobs in many fields.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:53 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,551,284 times
that is so very true. I was working within 2 weeks of moving here. I was happy and disappointed. Happy to have a job but disappointed that I found one so fast. I wanted to take some time off before starting the workforce again. Oh well god blessed me with a great job and I am thankful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan