Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2020, 05:53 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,314,321 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I are planning a trip to Lake Michigan around Traverse City from Pittsburgh but plan to stop for about 2 days at an approximate midway point. We are photographers who like scenic lakes and wildlife (and urban areas too). Can you give any suggestions? I've been reading about Maumee Bay State Park, Luna Pier, and Sterling State Park. She's never seen the western parts of Lake Erie. So we were hoping to stay there though I'm reading mixed things about how nice that part of the lake is. We'd consider an inland area too. I know Michigan has a lot of nice smaller lakes. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2020, 07:06 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,284,374 times
If it were me, I’d skip the stop and spend more time in northern MI — Petoskey, Leelanau, Mackinaw, and the UP.

Nothing downstate compares, really.

Kensington is nice but if picturesque wildlife and water is your thing...apples and oranges.

Old 09-23-2020, 07:44 AM

Yeah, that's what I've been reading. The issue is that we are leaving Pittsburgh at 4 PM on a weekday and then have to work remotely the next day. So whatever hotel we get that first night we would need to keep through the second day (and probably just stay there that night too). I don't think we could make it out to NW Michigan that first night without being too tired to drive. So we're looking for a scenic stopping point within 3 to 5 hours of Pittsburgh that puts us in the right direction.

Old 09-23-2020, 09:44 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,284,374 times
In that case, I’m not sure. Around metro Detroit, Kensington is pretty nice. The only time I have ever visited Ohio in that neck of the woods is to go birding, there is a lot of birding there at places like Magee Marsh. It’s a big deal. I’m not sure about timing, but it is really cool. Just google “Ohio birding” and a ton of info comes up.

Old 09-23-2020, 01:58 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
You might like the Detroit International wildlife refuge locations or point Moilee. Eerie metro-park is right there too. I ahve seen some amazing sunrise shots come from there.

Old 09-23-2020, 02:01 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,163,867 times
Magee Marsh is an excellent suggestion. That gives you an opportunity to explore Toledo, OH, which has a lot of charm and an underrated Art Museum and Zoo.

In southeastern Michigan, if you want signficant water views, 4,000 Acre Pointe Mouillee State Game Area, on Lake Erie, and the Detroit River International Wildlife Refuge. are beautiful spots. But keep in mind, this area of Southeastern Michigan/Northwest Ohio is flat as a pancake. Nothing like Pittsburgh.

Old 09-23-2020, 02:19 PM

46 posts, read 60,809 times
Bird Hills Nature Area on northside of Ann Arbor is right off the highway if you are going up US23 (take M14 west off of US23 to Main street exit and then go right on Huron River Drive). Has some nice hiking trails and elevation changes for southeastern Michigan. There's also "the Arb" near Umich campus and the campus itself. In addition to Kensington area mentioned, there are also Brighton, Pinckney, and Waterloo rec areas with some nice trails. Hell, Michigan is nearby if you want a kitschy photo op.

Old 09-24-2020, 08:43 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,943,933 times
The Lake Erie shoreline in the places mentioned is interesting and its scenic in its own way but doesn't blow you away like the shoreline areas of the other Great Lakes. Its super flat, mostly marsh and wetlands, often windy, and you often have the view of powerplant stacks off in the distance. Its worth a stop though if you are driving through and interested in seeing whats there.

Other than that, as others have said there is a concentration of small lakes and the Huron River watershed that runs through the area around Ann Arbor and Brighton. There is an abundance of Metro and State park land in these areas that includes hiking as well.

If you are doing this trip in the next few weeks the leaves are just getting ready to start turning so it could be super pretty around the area.

Old 09-24-2020, 08:51 AM

Thank you for all the suggestions! We decided to spend the first two days near Maumee Bay State Park. We will then travel through Michigan and try to see as much of the Michigan side of Lake Michigan as possible.

Old 09-24-2020, 10:10 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,315,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
Thank you for all the suggestions! We decided to spend the first two days near Maumee Bay State Park. We will then travel through Michigan and try to see as much of the Michigan side of Lake Michigan as possible.
Good choice, if you need to stop around western Lake Erie. Maumee Bay State Park is a nice, clean park with a Lake Erie beach and a nice lodge and visitors' center. There is a small boardwalk behind the visitors' center where you can see various types of water birds and an occasional deer. It isn't far from Magee Marsh which has a larger boardwalk and is a huge magnet for birdwatchers, as others have mentioned. In early May people literally come from all over the world to view the migratory birds there.

I live in Monroe County, MI and IMHO, neither Sterling State Park nor Luna Pier are worth a stop. Sterling is just ok, it doesn't have a very nice Lake Erie shoreline, relatively speaking, and I hate to say it but is kind of dirty. Luna Pier is a kind of cute little town but the pier and beach were nasty the last time I was there earlier this summer. Dead fish on the beach, a "lovely" view of a nuclear power plant or two...skip it, it isn't worth your time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan