Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 09:00 PM

26 posts, read 110,110 times

Advertisements

I love Michigan.

I live Across the Border in Canada (Which I would never in a million years leave the comfort of Ontario) BUT If I HAD to move to the states, SE Michigan is an easy choice, Chicago being a 2nd.

Housing is cheap, I love the 4 seasons, I'm a die hard sports fan, the people are a bit depressed but they should get over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 09:05 PM

695 posts, read 3,410,988 times
Interesting. I love Michigan though I always have this strong temptation to live in Ontario. Some of the cities seem really neat, especially around Toronto (Kitchener, Waterloo, Mississauga) and around St. Catharines (St. Catharines, Thorold, Welland, Port Colborne).

Old 05-18-2008, 09:14 PM

26 posts, read 110,110 times
Ontario is awesome. We don't have that much "Stuff" to do where I live (25 min south of windsor) but that's why we go to Detroit!

Toronto is an amazing city. Way, way, way to busy. Right up there with New York. But I do like where I live as long as you don't mind driving.
Ontario's Health Care actually saved a friends life. Would have been toast in the States.

This board is so Negative. I have friends and family in Michigan. Most are doing fine. IN fact, some have invested in Florida or Arizona with horrible results but are doing great in Michigan with local business.

And Golf is cheap this year!!

Old 05-18-2008, 09:28 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,199,641 times
It is so annoying that so many people in this state think being negative is reality. Reality is a mix of positive and negative. The whiners are usually the people who do nothing anyway. The world outside Michigan is no paradise, the whole country is struggling. I have lived in many states, and there is good and bad everywhere. The biggest problem Michigan has is all the whining, I'm so sick of it, I have never lived anywhere like this with people whining and complaining all the time. This state is beautiful and has natural resources, and could move in new directions now that the industrial age is over, but people have to step up and have some pride or no one will ever want to come here.

I was miserable here in my twenties too, I moved and learned the grass is not greener, just different. I'm quite happy to be living here again, but the whining is really starting to bum me out. Why can't people look around and see all the beautiful trees and greenery surrounding them. Spring, summer, and fall in Michigan are wonderful. Winter in lower MI isn't even that bad, there are very few days that I couldn't walk outside.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:29 AM

316 posts, read 1,181,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamma View Post
You know one of the biggest problems we have is religion. I was listening to Micheal Medved on his talk radio show. He stated that there is no problem with energy [oil] supply's and that we only need to drill more, he also said that the earth could support an unlimited number of people. A few months back he said that slaves had a better life than some blacks do today. It was James Watt that said because of the rapture coming soon that we needed to use the earth or loose it. These people are so dangerous I think we should lock them up in Gitmo.
I hope the neocons are put out of power this next election it is very important for the future of the nation and world.
The conservative idiots have denied the problem with global warming,energy crises, They only think of corporate profits and more money. You have on group of people dancing with snakes, and another blowing them selfs up to get seventy virgins. The problem is that they are going to kill us with this stupid belief in talking snakes and big kahoonas in the sky.
I'd love to see one forum or message about how bad Michigan is and not read something about the evil neocons. They aren't even in power in Michigan, the state is being run by Ms. Granholm.
The attitude of MIchigan residents does not help the situation at all. They have become in some cases a whining bunch that would rather stay close to family and starve then venture out and find a job someplace else.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:49 AM

62 posts, read 202,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deslok View Post
I'd love to see one forum or message about how bad Michigan is and not read something about the evil neocons. They aren't even in power in Michigan, the state is being run by Ms. Granholm.
The attitude of MIchigan residents does not help the situation at all. They have become in some cases a whining bunch that would rather stay close to family and starve then venture out and find a job someplace else.
I'm not native to Michigan (or anywhere for that matter) but its where I've lived the past 9 years. I can't stand Granholm, or the Flint and Detroit mayors but everyone seems to put up with it or at least reelect.

not to throw things too off topic:
My husband is currently in a job interview with GM here in Michigan and he has another offer for a job in North Carolina. Today is decision day! I'm still fairly young and don't know these companies well, but GM still scares me.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:03 AM

4 posts, read 11,358 times
82, I would not trust GM, thay may not be there in a few years. Those who say I am crazy said that Toyota would never take first place in car and truck sales from GM a few years ago. They are looking out the window. I just say that I just say the heads of GM on an interview, and their big idea is the VOLT, 40 mile battery run, and then a 3 cyl. eng. that kicks in. All this for 40k.
LOL
I also just got back from a green convention and the local Chevy dealer had a Tahoe hyb. there. I just walked by and laughed. 51k, and it gets a whopping 21 mpg. whoooo. I also heard Glenn Beck on the radio talking to his dealer in Tampa and the dealer said they are not selling.
Who would buy a 51k Tahoe to get 4 extra MPG?
GM was on top of that one too.
And meanwhile Toyota is selling the heck out of the Prius. LOL all the way to the bank. and all this with a life time warr.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:08 AM

62 posts, read 202,744 times
Thanks for the input. My husband thinks GM would be safe because he's a mechanical engineer and they're probably trying to revamp, but I'm still not buying it.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:11 AM

4 posts, read 11,358 times
GM is so far behind Toyota and they do not seem to even have a clue. Look at some of the posts here. I think it is something in the water up there. Keeps people from seeing the obvious. LOL

Old 05-19-2008, 10:27 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,413,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lothian View Post
I went back to Michigan for a visit. I could not believe how every one was so down about Michigan.
There were a few people who had a positive attitude but they were people who did not have to work, I don't mean that they had retired but "worked" at a college.LOL and did not have to do any real work for a living. People that had to go out and make the country really work were hurting.
I talked to about a dozen MI family and friends over the last two weeks, it's all the same: Don't come back; It's a waste land.

It's crazy because these are people who live in the nice 'burbs-- Riverview, Trenton, Grosse Ile, Rochester Hills, Troy and W.Bloomfield. How in the world did this whole area implode?!?

One caveat: A friend of the family in Lapeer who owns a farm is doing the same as always. He says when he goes by Flint, it's scary, but Lapeer is the same as always... Now if only there was something there besides farms
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan