Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 05:11 PM

2 posts, read 6,211 times

Advertisements

Help! Would like to hear from people who must deal with their asthma in cold weather. My husband's asthma really kicks up in cold weather. He thinks we will eventually have to leave the UP for a warm climate.

I love the UP and the thoughts of leaving depresses me.
Of course I will move for my husband's sake...I just keep hoping there's a way and this prob will disappear...

Pack my bags or any hope

Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 07:55 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,350,347 times
What does his doctor say?

Old 08-16-2008, 07:56 PM

136 posts, read 482,060 times
Be careful what you wish for. I never had asthma until I moved to California. Denver smog wasn't much better. Now even the cold here affects me. But at least its only while I'm outside clearing the driveway. Is he using a snowblower? The combination of cold and poor emissions from the lawn-mower type engine gets me every time. Are you burning wood? That's another typical trigger.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:18 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,863,972 times
I never had asthma until I moved to Yuma, AZ. This one of the hottest places in the world. The pesticides aggravate my asthma big time. I used to live in Indiana and never had asthma.

Old 12-05-2008, 04:01 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,934,856 times
The American SW is not a good place to go , if , you have any upper respiratory problems. In the winter , the desert is abloom, lots of allergies related to desert plants , especially cactus . The top soil , what little there is , blows and blows.
The UP is not perfect , but about as good as you can get. Surrounded by water , natural filter , and the lack of pollution industries , makes it a great place to live. Those allergic to oak , ( me included ) will have a problem however, in the spring and fall.
Perhaps , the most annoying thing here , is the dryness in the winter. By using a nasal spray, on a daily basis helps a lot. As a rule , the closer you are to Lake Superior , the better you will feel yearlong . Mold is a problem in the other warm retirement areas , so , giving up the UP , may not be any better anywhere else. Usually , changing your environment , might help with a current problem , but , you will soon be attack by something else , that you never knew of.....

Old 12-05-2008, 04:08 PM

985 posts, read 1,901,339 times
My husband has bad asthma and he said he feels so much better all the time when on vacation or gone for business to warmer climates.

Sorry, not what you wanted to hear but he can definitely feel a huge difference

Old 12-05-2008, 05:04 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,934,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewith3 View Post
My husband has bad asthma and he said he feels so much better all the time when on vacation or gone for business to warmer climates.

That is not unusual , like I said , one you move to a warmer climate , you will soon acquire something else , possibly worse. Its the change that makes you feel better.......for a while anyway.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:56 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,910,360 times
^ Agree with your post.

my husband also has severe asthma.

As a child, his parents asked his doctor if moving to a warmer location would help. (like desert/Arizona)

His doctor said that his type of asthma, he would have a few years of no symptoms then would develop new allergies to his new environment.

Asthma is a hyper reaction to irritants that are mostly a non issue to the majority of people. Most people's airways do not restrict to things like dust, grass and dry leaves.

Asthmatics have a HYPER reaction... and will do so toward whatever the new irritant happens to be.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:01 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,910,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewith3 View Post

It is possible that your husband is experience a reprieve to his allergens. Notice he is on vacation or short business trip. If he moved there for a few years however, his system may develop allergies to his new environment.

Allergic reactions can sometimes happen suddenly that can cause sudden death (like people allergic to nuts) but most allergies are the result of a build up of irritants. A low level reaction, that slowly becomes a bigger reaction, much faster until you experience "sudden" allergic reaction. usually the reaction is not sudden at all, just the early symptoms were missed or ignored.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:05 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,080,405 times
Talked to my DR. about this. Everyone's different. In da U.P., I had the hay fever big time during the "cut". Dry seasons were a bit of relief for me up there. In SE MI, spring & fall kicked my butt, but I survived. In AZ, I get two weeks of hell in the fall & spring.

Change your air filters in your home at least four times per year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan