Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 07:17 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,901,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
I just took a gander at one randomly-Googled jobs site. This one: Find a Job in Michigan!

It says there are currently 10,003 jobs open in Detroit, 3,403 in Ann Arbor, 4,464 in Ypsi, a whopping 10,014 in Royal Oak, an astounding 9,432 in teeny Pontiac, 9,759 in economically-depressed Warren. Some of these jobs obviously overlap -- I saw the same engineering job posted in two metro-area cities for instance -- but not all of them are nursing jobs and not all of them are low-paid or lousy. For every Christmas-season sales job I saw several permanent positions. For crying out loud, there are 3,192 jobs open in Brighton, MI. It has about 6 people there.

Now I know there are a lot more job-seekers lately than jobs, but this is a huge improvement over a couple of years ago when you'd turn to the want ads and find NOTHING. there'd be 18 nursing positions, 5 pharmacists needed, 2 brain surgeons and then a lot of hell jobs doing cold-calling for magazine sales, commission only. It can be hard to see that things are looking up, but they really are.
I totally agree.
I worked as a welder for 13 years, but quit a few years ago to start my own home business. The place I worked welded aluminum forms for poured walls (among other things),and just recently closed down for obvious reasons. Almost everyone who worked there has found a new job. The jobs ARE out there, you just have to look, and be flexable enough to maybe learn some other skills.

Last edited by michmoldman; 12-30-2008 at 07:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 07:37 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,901,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
I just took a gander at one randomly-Googled jobs site. This one: Find a Job in Michigan!

It says there are currently 10,003 jobs open in Detroit, 3,403 in Ann Arbor, 4,464 in Ypsi, a whopping 10,014 in Royal Oak, an astounding 9,432 in teeny Pontiac, 9,759 in economically-depressed Warren. Some of these jobs obviously overlap -- I saw the same engineering job posted in two metro-area cities for instance -- but not all of them are nursing jobs and not all of them are low-paid or lousy. For every Christmas-season sales job I saw several permanent positions. For crying out loud, there are 3,192 jobs open in Brighton, MI. It has about 6 people there.

Now I know there are a lot more job-seekers lately than jobs, but this is a huge improvement over a couple of years ago when you'd turn to the want ads and find NOTHING. there'd be 18 nursing positions, 5 pharmacists needed, 2 brain surgeons and then a lot of hell jobs doing cold-calling for magazine sales, commission only. It can be hard to see that things are looking up, but they really are.
Well, I have seen the Baker College ad saying there are some 80,000 jobs going unfilled in Michigan...could be true.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:40 PM

358 posts, read 1,063,348 times
What are some of the new jobs that are worth studying to learn how to do?

Old 12-30-2008, 08:09 PM

693 posts, read 2,258,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Well, I have seen the Baker College ad saying there are some 80,000 jobs going unfilled in Michigan...could be true.
I find that advertisement by baker to be comical, they also state that over 85% of their graduates are employed, although they fail to say if it is scrubbing floors or flipping big macs. It is almost silly to think that in a state with nearly 10% of its population unemployed that within that 10%...there aren't enough qualified individuals? Baker hopes that the unemployed fellow sitting at home will think he has a crack at landing one of the "80,000" jobs that exist in the state after he has received his Baker degree...its laughable at best.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:06 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,199,371 times
I think home security is gonna get hot in the coming years. I would find it hard to believe that crime would not go up with the economy tanking like it is. I have a family member now who makes pretty decent money installing and maintaining alarm systems and he achieved this with on the job training.

Old 12-31-2008, 06:48 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
I have been trying to hire someone to work. Still have not found someone willing, that can pass the drug screen.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:55 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,606,364 times
For those with no degree, high school dropouts, and even some legal troubles in the past:

I was a supervisor at the Meijer distribution center in Lansing, and we hired about 5 people per week (in my building alone, 1 of 5 on the complex). It's extremely hard work, 2nd shift schedule, weekends, etc. Starts at around $10.00, tops out at around $17.00/hour after 4 years. It is a Union shop, but nothing like the UAW. No such thing as getting paid to "not work" at that place.

BUT, for someone who is not worried about having a social life and is willing to work hard... you could survive on that job.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:21 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,856,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sociologist View Post
I find that advertisement by baker to be comical, they also state that over 85% of their graduates are employed, although they fail to say if it is scrubbing floors or flipping big macs. It is almost silly to think that in a state with nearly 10% of its population unemployed that within that 10%...there aren't enough qualified individuals? Baker hopes that the unemployed fellow sitting at home will think he has a crack at landing one of the "80,000" jobs that exist in the state after he has received his Baker degree...its laughable at best.
Yeah, I scratch my head at those Baker ads too.

Perrigo in Allegan (between Holland and Kalamazoo) is hiring. They make over-the-counter pharmaceuticals, so it's clean room production (probably higher skills than a standard manufacturing floor). I just checked their website and they have over 30 listings right now like production, quality, testing, engineers, R&D, HR, etc.

Perrigo | Employment | Job Postings

That's even before they've started on their recently announced expansion (office and production expansion coming). It's a pretty easy commute from Grand Rapids, Kzoo or Holland if you want to live in a more populous area than tiny Allegan.

Uni-Solar (solar panels) needs people in Rochester, Auburn Hills, Troy and Greenville, MI:

http://www.uni-solar.com/interior.asp?id=54 (broken link)

Their Greenville production facilities are set to expand (double). A little more skilled on the floor than your average shop floor, but you definitely don't need a BA degree.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:17 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,482,428 times
I just want to say this is a great, helpful thread. My degree is in education, so I know there aren't any jobs for me here. I could probably find a job doing something else, but I want to teach most of all, so I'm moving out of state in the spring, but good luck to the rest of you in your search. Opportunities can be found, it's just harder than usual.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:19 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I have been trying to hire someone to work. Still have not found someone willing, that can pass the drug screen.
That is so sad! Whereabouts are you looking? I can't remember where your business is based, if you ever said...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan