Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 09:53 AM

59 posts, read 63,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
The Census counts legal population , that have a residence.... Michigan has its share of illegals , they are not counted , but they are everywhere , especially in SW Michigan.
WRONG! Go to the Census 2010 website. It specifically states that EVERBODY is counted, citizen and non-citizen. The census counts everbody that lives at a given address when the census form arrives. There is NO citizenship or official residency proof required. If I have 100 illegal immigrants living at my house only on the day the census form arrives, I am required to list their names on the census. No other identifier is required.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 11:44 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,942,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teotwawki View Post
WRONG! Go to the Census 2010 website. It specifically states that EVERBODY is counted, citizen and non-citizen. The census counts everbody that lives at a given address when the census form arrives. There is NO citizenship or official residency proof required. If I have 100 illegal immigrants living at my house only on the day the census form arrives, I am required to list their names on the census. No other identifier is required.
And , how many illegals will admit they " live there " ? There are many people in this Country that are under ground , that do not want to be identified as existing. The fear of the INS is a strong motivator, to remain uncounted. This also goes for legal citizens who for various reasons , want to hide from the public eye.

Old 02-09-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
And , how many illegals will admit they " live there " ? There are many people in this Country that are under ground , that do not want to be identified as existing. The fear of the INS is a strong motivator, to remain uncounted. This also goes for legal citizens who for various reasons , want to hide from the public eye.
My point was that since there is no verification of citizenship or even legal residency, Michigan is at a disadvantage compared to other states with a much higher population of illegals (the south & west). Even if only a small percentage fill out the census, they are skewing the results. This will only make it even more likely Michigan will lose more representation in Congress.

Old 02-09-2009, 04:49 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,982,834 times
I don't follow the logic ... if Texas has a million illegals and Michigan 100,000, assuming the same percentage complete the census doesn't Texas stand the chance of being underrepresented the most?

Old 02-10-2009, 06:23 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,856,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
I don't follow the logic ... if Texas has a million illegals and Michigan 100,000, assuming the same percentage complete the census doesn't Texas stand the chance of being underrepresented the most?
Well not really. If they are illegal, than they don't require/deserve representation when it comes to congressional districts. However, illegals do use resources here, such as health and human services, and are most likely not paying into the system.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
That just means that Texas (California/Arizona/New Mexico/etc) are way OVER represented. That's why we need to attract a few million illegals here to compensate for their extra millions. If they can do it, why can't we? The original intent of the Census was to count US citizens- everybody acknowledges that, but it doesn't specifically say that in the Constitution, so they just count everybody who lives here.

I'm not trying to blame all of Michigan's problems on a faulty census, or even the illegals. Just trying to come up with a new ideas- the politicians don't seem to know what to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan