Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 09:56 AM

62 posts, read 173,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmom2008 View Post
dimpelss.....What part are you from? I guess just keep trying and try at different times during the day. Sorry I cant be of more help. All of it is a pain in the bootie!
P Huron lol I just gave up on calling them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 09:49 PM

4 posts, read 26,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmom2008 View Post
I know it is probably to early to know what is gonna happen for sure when our tier II unemployment benefits run out I have 4 weeks left. But please update here when and if the Extended benefits kick in for you.
I am in Michigan and starting today I have only two weeks of benefits left (under the Tier II of EUC like you have).

I am not really sure what the language on the "Extended Benefits" page really means, and some of it sounds contorted. But I remember last year around July there was alot of bickering over what things meant, too. According to:

[url=http://www.michigan.gov/uia]UIA - Unemployment Insurance Agency[/url]

[URL="http://www.michigan.gov/documents/uia/Extended_Benefits_in_Michigan_Fact_Sheet_122_26718 5_7.pdf"]Extended Benefits in Michigan, Fact Sheet 122[/URL] http://www.michigan.gov/images/PDF.gif

"During the week of January 10, 2009, Michigan's IUR surpassed 5.0 % and was 42% higher than same period for the prior two years. The week ending January 31, 2009, was the first week for which EB was payable. To be eligible for EB, workers must be unemployed or underemployed and have a benefit year ending on or after January 31, 2009."

Since my benefit year ended 11/15/08 it implies that I am disqualified, even though I am still receiving the Tier II of the EUC.

Going into the PDF file on the link, it says this:
[SIZE=2]
1. Who is entitled to Extended Benefits?

c. Have exhausted EUC benefit entitlement on or after 1-25-09. However, if you have exhausted benefit entitlement prior to 1-25-09 you must have a benefit year ending (BYE) of 1-13-09 or later.

2. What does it mean to have "exhausted" my benefits?

For purposes of the Michigan EB program, you have exhausted your rights to regular unemployment benefits and EUC when: a) you have received all the benefits to which you were entitled in a benefit year a regular state of federal program; OR b) your benefit year has expired before you have drawn all your benefits and no new benefit year can be established."

Does that mean because my "benefit year" expired before 1-30-09 that my "benefit entitlement" also expired even though I am still being paid?

Does anyone have an explanation for this?
[/SIZE]

Old 03-29-2009, 09:51 PM

4 posts, read 26,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimpelss View Post
I would like to know also and If anyone knows how to get through that unemployment hotline let me know, it is a shame been trying to contact them since Dec, 08 and still can't through till this day.
The only way to get through to them is show up about a half hour before one of their offices opens and get in line and talk to them.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:44 AM

1 posts, read 9,373 times
Default EB program rules & eligibility

Check this link out its from RI. I am assuming that New Jersey and other States qualified for the EB program will have if not the same then similar rules being thats its a federal program. Hope its helpful. I myself am waiting for a letter from NJ unemployment explaining the EB requirements.

[url=http://www.dlt.state.ri.us/ui/extbenefaq.htm]Unemployment Insurance Extended Benefits Frequently Asked Questions[/url]

Old 03-31-2009, 10:53 AM

1,252 posts, read 3,484,790 times
I have 3 weeks of New Jersey Tier II benefits left. Just received this notice in today's mail (in part):
-------------------------
The EB program was expanded with the Assistance for Unemployed Workers and Struggling Families Act signed by President Obama, to include individuals with Unemployment Insurance (UI) claims dated May 7, 2006 or later who exhaust all Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC) Tier II benefits during an approved EB period.

You may be potentially eligible for EB benefits if you meet one of the following qualifications:

The original date of your UI claim was March 23, 2008 or later and you exhausted all Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC) Tier II benefits;
or
You are currently receiving EUC Tier II benefits and exhaust your benefits with week ending March 21, 2009 or later, and New Jersey is still in an approved EB period.

The rest is at: Department of Labor and Workforce Development | Extended Benefits (EB)

Old 04-05-2009, 09:09 PM

7 posts, read 117,983 times
I am go for another 13 weeks as of my second to last online voucher gave me a link to claim it.

I guess I will get something in the mail in a few days. This time (for Indiana) I have to file the first one in person at a gov't center. They want a shred bit more evidence of 3 work searches a week with contact person lists also (I had to basically do that anyway for Indians requirements each week before.) Can still file online after the initial in person session.

With the weather nice I am gonna probably find something soon but not the line of work I am qualified for. And I have to take minimum wage or close. Oh well, I'm glad there is a safety net for hard times.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:07 PM

304 posts, read 1,433,760 times
New info for MICHIGAN...good news on the front page of mlive.com

Jobless benefits extended extra 7 weeks in Michigan

by The Associated Press

Gov. Jennifer Granholm has signed legislation extending unemployment benefits for an extra seven weeks.
The governor said Monday during a bill-signing ceremony at the Capitol that jobless workers now can receive benefits for up to 79 weeks while they look for other work.
They already were eligible for 26 weeks of state unemployment benefits, 33 weeks of federal help and 13 weeks of extended benefits. Those extended benefits now will be available for 20 weeks.
The state estimates more than 200,000 Michigan workers will have received extended benefits by year's end, with 70,000 qualifying by the end of April.
Michigan has the nation's highest unemployment rate at 12 percent.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:16 AM

103 posts, read 344,602 times
Do we know who is eligible for this extra 7 weeks? I received unemployment last year - the full 26 weeks, and then the extension after that, and then the final extension - I actually had to re-apply since it crossed over into 2009. I think it was 39 weeks total....

I'm curious as to if I'm still eligible (as I am still unemployed!), and I'm also wondering how people are getting up to 79 weeks. How did that happen? I mean, even if I got 26+13+13 = 52 weeks, plus this addition 7 only makes 59.

I'm confused. Maybe I need to pull out my paperwork again. Anyway - I suppose I just wait to see if they send me paperwork like the last time.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalFriday View Post
Do we know who is eligible for this extra 7 weeks? I received unemployment last year - the full 26 weeks, and then the extension after that, and then the final extension - I actually had to re-apply since it crossed over into 2009. I think it was 39 weeks total....

I'm curious as to if I'm still eligible (as I am still unemployed!), and I'm also wondering how people are getting up to 79 weeks. How did that happen? I mean, even if I got 26+13+13 = 52 weeks, plus this addition 7 only makes 59.

I'm confused. Maybe I need to pull out my paperwork again. Anyway - I suppose I just wait to see if they send me paperwork like the last time.
How long has it been since your last check?

Tier 1 – is available to those who have exhausted regular unemployment compensation on
or before December 31, 2009. They will receive 80%, up to 20 weeks, of the regular state
unemployment benefits they drew during their most recent benefit year. Example: If a
person received 20 weeks of state unemployment benefits, he/she would get 16 weeks of
EUC.
o Tier 2 – Unemployed Michigan workers who exhaust their Tier 1 EUC benefits on or
before December 31, 2009, will be eligible for up to 13 weeks of additional EUC – 50% of
what they received in state unemployment benefits. Example: If a person received 20
weeks of state unemployment benefits, he/she would collect 10 weeks of EUC.

Its all a little confusing to me too...this is how mine went 26+7+13+12 so far......for tier 1 I started with 7 then it rolled over to 13 more without me doing anything. Tier 2 started and I had to file a new claim, get denied and it gave me 12.....now I think maybe I get 7 more weeks without going into the Extended benefits.......I dunno if I was you I would call, wouldnt wait for paperwork.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:31 AM

[SIZE=+1]Governor Granholm Signs Legislation Extending Jobless Benefits up to Seven Weeks[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1][/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Liz Boyd 517-335-7821[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1][SIZE=2] April 13, 2009 [/SIZE] [/SIZE][SIZE=-1][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1] Legislation part of state's continued efforts to protect citizens [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]LANSING - Governor Jennifer M. Granholm today signed legislation that provides jobless Michigan workers with up to seven additional weeks of unemployment benefits.

"In these extremely difficult times, I am pleased we can provide some additional financial help to unemployed workers in the state," Granholm said. "These additional unemployment benefits will not only help families in meeting their basic needs, but they also provide an economic boost to Michigan businesses - the service stations, grocery stores, and retailers - who sell the goods and services families need."

The newly signed legislation expands the extended benefit (EB) program from 13 weeks up to 20 weeks and takes effect immediately. It also boosts the maximum number of weeks an unemployed Michigan worker currently can receive unemployment benefits from 72 to 79 weeks.

Unemployed workers in the state may qualify for up to 26 weeks of state unemployment benefits, up to 33 weeks of federal emergency unemployment compensation (EUC) and, now, up to 20 weeks of extended benefits.

Starting today, newly filed extended-benefits claims will qualify for the additional weeks of EB. Michigan's Unemployment Insurance Agency (UIA) will also go back and issue redeterminations for all existing EB claims and add up to seven weeks of benefits to those claims.

The UIA estimates that approximately 3,000 unemployed workers are now receiving extended benefits, but it anticipates the number will jump to 70,000 by the end of April as workers who are collecting federal EUC begin exhausting those benefits and moving into the EB program. By year's end, the agency estimates that over 200,000 unemployed Michigan workers will have received extended benefits.

The EB program began in January 2009. The week ending January 31 was the first week for which extended benefits could be paid.

Granholm pointed out that these extended benefits are funded by the federal Recovery Act, which means Michigan employers will not be assessed for them.
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]The UIA notifies unemployed workers about the EB program when they have two or less weeks remaining on their EUC claim. The agency sends them a notice telling the workers how to apply for the EB either by telephone or online. If the claim is allowed, the worker receives a packet of information, including details about the program's work search requirement.

To help the unemployed Michigan workers and their families who are trying to cope economically during these challenging times, earlier this year, Governor Granholm signed a contract with the U.S. Department of Labor, which increased unemployment benefits by $25 per week. The governor also expanded state services to utilize every available resource to ensure that Michigan citizens have expanded access to file claims, resolve problems, and get information on unemployment benefits in a timely manner.

Steps taken to meet the needs of unemployed citizens, include: extending hours and hiring additional staff at unemployment offices and call centers, opening a new call center in Lansing, extending the hours of the automated telephone system to include Saturdays, allowing citizens to certify for benefits online, adding more computer servers to process claims up to five times faster, and accelerating training to get new hires on the job faster.
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan