Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 08:07 PM

140 posts, read 459,277 times

Advertisements

We had to move to Iowa for work- THAT'S where all the grazing takes place! Northern Michigan is awesome. There are so many CLEAN lakes and beaches- the water is that tropical aqua color because it's so clean! Sand dunes, woods, hiking, skiing, snowmobiling, fishing... and if you prefer more metro type things, TC has it all, is a very cool city, is beautiful, and has a very low crime rate. We had to go, but if we could go back I would in a second!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 07:24 AM

939 posts, read 2,680,990 times
Totally agree. The 4 seasons are awesome. When the leaves change and the first snow is about to fall, I feel like a kid at Disneyworld. When winter is over and summer arrives, I feel just as giddy. Lots of folks complain about the cold and snow and I tell them "move south". Cold snowy winters and warm beautiful summers. What could be better? Phoenix?? LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
It doesnt matter who is trying to convince who or why. Most people live where they live because they want to. Im sure most people tend to gravitate to where they feel they belong eventually, if possible. Personally, I dont know how anyone could convince ANYONE to move somewhere just because that person likes it. I could have a million people down south, and out west try to tell me why I should move there but it would do no good. I love the Cold, the hot and everything in between. This is the perfect place for people like me.

Old 05-02-2009, 03:47 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
When I lived in Honor, I knew some guys that used dynamite to fish in the Little Platte Lake..

Old 07-22-2009, 04:12 AM

27 posts, read 65,620 times
Default Growing up in Northern Michigan

Thinking back I now realize having the boating or off-roding choices we had everyday were to be taken more seriously. You have to realize the restrictions on land and water resources across the country that exist today. Because of some abusers choices, we all have to pay. Take into account the permits and licenses you must attain anymore to just drop a line in the water at your favorite fishing hole. I now reside in Ocala Fl. May anyone reading this post take heed, Michiganders are geniuses. Each and every one. I do miss the friendly people, born and raised in Alpena.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:09 AM

10 posts, read 22,611 times
Drink.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:42 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,002,191 times
What do i do in northern Michigan? Look for opportunities to leave. When I was in high school I did some off roading to a party spot in the woods to drink and smoke pot since there was nothing for teenagers to do in town. I also used to go boating in Houghton Lake and debate whether I should take a swim after seeing condoms, beer cans, and a guy pissing in the lake.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:33 PM

199 posts, read 543,079 times
FACT: Teenagers don't smoke pot or drink in big cities. They are so occupied with all the activities of the big city that they have no time for that naughty stuff.

What do teenagers do in big cities? I met people in college that liked to drink and smoke pot and they were from the city. They all talked about how they did it in high school too. Must have been a different city then the one you are referring to.

A Southern Michigan man and I talked about this while on a chairlift. He insisted that there was nothing to do for kids in Northern Michigan. That's why he drives up to Northern Michigan every weekend to go skiing. Good argument bro, get your ass back on down to D town and ride the hills there since there is NOTHING to do up north.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:07 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,002,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Specialbuddy View Post
FACT: Teenagers don't smoke pot or drink in big cities. They are so occupied with all the activities of the big city that they have no time for that naughty stuff.

What do teenagers do in big cities? I met people in college that liked to drink and smoke pot and they were from the city. They all talked about how they did it in high school too. Must have been a different city then the one you are referring to.

A Southern Michigan man and I talked about this while on a chairlift. He insisted that there was nothing to do for kids in Northern Michigan. That's why he drives up to Northern Michigan every weekend to go skiing. Good argument bro, get your ass back on down to D town and ride the hills there since there is NOTHING to do up north.

In your sarcastic rant about Detroit, there are ski areas around the Detroit area.

What the hell don't you understand about the difference of living year round up north and going there on the weekends? if all these people who thought northern Michigan is so wonderful, why aren't they moving up here full time?

Where is a place for teenagers to hang out in Roscommon? Please list them for me. Let me guess, you'll just come up with another one of your witty posts that completely avoids the subject. In the Detroit area we have malls, restaurants, sports complexes, clubs designed for teens, parks etc.

Why do you always bring up Detroit when I post? The thread asked what do people do who live up north. Of course it must strike a nerve with you if people don't say how wonderful it is.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:54 PM

199 posts, read 543,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
In your sarcastic rant about Detroit, there are ski areas around the Detroit area.
Are you serious? Thanks for letting me know. I've never left Northern Michigan so I didn't know that. Go to any ski shop in Southern Michigan and most of the staff will brag about going to Boyne and not Mt. Brighton, Holly, Cannonsburg, Bittersweet, etc. Many come up to the north for skiing and I'm glad they do.
Quote:
What the hell don't you understand about the difference of living year round up north and going there on the weekends? if all these people who thought northern Michigan is so wonderful, why aren't they moving up here full time?
People go places on the weekends? Are you kidding me? When did people start doing this? You are just full of knowledge, we must have coffee one day so I can pick your brain. Why do so many people retire up north since it sucks so bad? Why were most of my dad's co-workers from down state?
Quote:
Where is a place for teenagers to hang out in Roscommon? Please list them for me. Let me guess, you'll just come up with another one of your witty posts that completely avoids the subject. In the Detroit area we have malls, restaurants, sports complexes, clubs designed for teens, parks etc.
I don't know much about Roscommon but I'm sure teens there could still swim, boat, kayak, fish, hunt, bike, rollerblade, ski, hike or do a number of other outdoor activities. Why did you bring up Detroit? Did I strike a nerve with you since I didn't mention how horrible Northern Michigan is?
Quote:
Why do you always bring up Detroit when I post? The thread asked what do people do who live up north. Of course it must strike a nerve with you if people don't say how wonderful it is.
That's where the guy was from. Northern Michigan has nothing going for it and he's forced every weekend to go up to that god forsaken hell hole. I feel bad for the guy.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:04 AM

550 posts, read 2,052,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unocentavo View Post
Depends on where you live. If you live in Traverse City there is not much to do in winter but ice fish and snowmobiel and ski at sugarloaf. If you do not like the cold than not much to do. In summer more to do like the events. But if you live in Cheboygan or Onaway then you are SOL, those places have nothing to do even in summer except watch the building rot more than they are. If you don't hunt or fish its not for you. Arazona in the bigger cities will have much more to offer people like your wife and if she is bringing in the money then you should go where she wants to live. If not than it may be time to go your seperate ways and you could meet some nice anti social woman living in a cabin in ockyack
Cheboygan-have you ever heard of the inland waterway? black mountain recreation area? mackinaw to gaylord snowmobile trail (which travels through cheboygan)? riverfest? Top of Michigan outboard races? boyne and nubs are within a 45min drive. i could go on and on and on and on...there is plenty to do in cheboygan and onaway too.........
ps-is ockyack supposed to be ocqueoc? which has the largest waterfall in the LP which is awesome for swimming!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan