Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 08:25 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboy2454 View Post
those are not hills, those are grassy knolls. using the word hill is a mis-representation and will confuse non-michiganers.
No it won't. I didn't say they were mountains, they are just what I said hills. And you can have a blast on them. And yes I have skied elsewhere. All over the East as well as the Rockys. Not big here, but still downhill. New York only has a handful of places with more vertical feet than we do (Granted, those that are bigger are WAY bigger) but for the most part they are about the same if you look.

Just another hater with a bias it looks like. No problem, the more that believe them, the less people we have to deal with; we get enough during the Summer months as it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 10:08 AM

21 posts, read 64,295 times
I'm also a grad student at CMU, going into my second year. While it's true that Mount Pleasant isn't comparable to a big city like Seattle or Detroit, there still are a great number of things to do in and around the city. Some of my favorite places are Rubble's bar downtown, where's there's usually always a band playing Thursday through Saturday night.
Next to Rubble's is the Brass Saloon, which has an amazing gourmet lunch and dinner menu and a huge craft beer selection. Tuesday's are $1 off all craft beers and there's always live jazz on the weekends.
Kaya Coffee House, a hipster/hippie hangout, is the best coffee shop in town. It's located on the corner of Bellows and University, across the street from campus.
Mountaintown Station is an old train station converted into a steakhouse/brewery. They have really good food and great drinks with a patio overlooking the river.
During the warmer months, it's always nice to go enjoy the Chippewa River. The "Chip" runs right through Mount Pleasant and there's a number of parks that are scattered along it's edge. Island Park, located right downtown, is a good one.
There's also stuff going on at campus al the time. CMU has an amazing library, a great gym (the SAC), and lots of events happening every week.

If you're looking for a place to live, I would recommend looking on CM-Life.com's classified ads or Centralmich.craigslist.org. If you're looking to live close to downtown, you'll most likely live in a house. However, if you wanted to live somewhere a little farther from campus, there are a ton of huge apartment complexes available. I'd recommend staying north of campus and, specifically, north of High St, if you want to stay away from the undergrad party scene and close to downtown.

Also, keep in mind that there are many other bigger cities within a day drive of Mount Pleasant. Detroit is about 2.5 hours, Grand Rapids and Traverse City are about 2, Lansing and East Lansing are 1. If you're really feeling ambitious, you can drive 3 or 4 hours to a train station and go to Chicago.

Good luck!

Old 05-25-2009, 09:10 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,560,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Jae View Post
I'm also a grad student at CMU, going into my second year. While it's true that Mount Pleasant isn't comparable to a big city like Seattle or Detroit, there still are a great number of things to do in and around the city. Some of my favorite places are Rubble's bar downtown, where's there's usually always a band playing Thursday through Saturday night.
Next to Rubble's is the Brass Saloon, which has an amazing gourmet lunch and dinner menu and a huge craft beer selection. Tuesday's are $1 off all craft beers and there's always live jazz on the weekends.
Kaya Coffee House, a hipster/hippie hangout, is the best coffee shop in town. It's located on the corner of Bellows and University, across the street from campus.
Mountaintown Station is an old train station converted into a steakhouse/brewery. They have really good food and great drinks with a patio overlooking the river.
During the warmer months, it's always nice to go enjoy the Chippewa River. The "Chip" runs right through Mount Pleasant and there's a number of parks that are scattered along it's edge. Island Park, located right downtown, is a good one.
There's also stuff going on at campus al the time. CMU has an amazing library, a great gym (the SAC), and lots of events happening every week.

If you're looking for a place to live, I would recommend looking on CM-Life.com's classified ads or Centralmich.craigslist.org. If you're looking to live close to downtown, you'll most likely live in a house. However, if you wanted to live somewhere a little farther from campus, there are a ton of huge apartment complexes available. I'd recommend staying north of campus and, specifically, north of High St, if you want to stay away from the undergrad party scene and close to downtown.

Also, keep in mind that there are many other bigger cities within a day drive of Mount Pleasant. Detroit is about 2.5 hours, Grand Rapids and Traverse City are about 2, Lansing and East Lansing are 1. If you're really feeling ambitious, you can drive 3 or 4 hours to a train station and go to Chicago.

Good luck!
Sounds like you are from a very small town. But I grew up in a large city and dont find GR or Lansing to be 'big' cities in the least. In fact, there are suburbs of many cities larger than GR or Lansing alone. And going to the neighborhood bar or coffee bar or the Chippewa River does not constitute anything to do at all in my opinion. You and I must come from 2 different worlds.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:00 AM

21 posts, read 64,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
Sounds like you are from a very small town. But I grew up in a large city and dont find GR or Lansing to be 'big' cities in the least. In fact, there are suburbs of many cities larger than GR or Lansing alone.
You're right, there are suburbs that are in fact bigger than GR or Lansing. Suburbs like the one I'm from; Warren.

GR and Lansing are not 'big' cities per se, but they are compared to Mount
Pleasant. And by 'big' city, I mean they have some of the amenities that Mount Pleasant generally lacks; museums, theaters, media, sports teams.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:28 AM

Suburbs of major cities in America that are larger than Grand Rapids or Lansing:

Anaheim, CA 300,000
Santa Ana, CA 350,000
Long Beach, CA 450,000
Riverside, CA 225,000
Mesa, AZ 450,000
Glendale, AZ 250,000
Scottsdale, AZ 235,000
Gilbert, AZ 205,000
Chandler, AZ 250,000
Yonkers, NY 190,000
Plano, TX 270,000
Arlington, TX 300,000
Aurora, IL 165,000
Naperville, IL 145,000
Aurora, CO 240,000

This is just a small list. Just think how even lower on the list Mt. Pleasant would be??

Old 05-26-2009, 11:42 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
Sounds like you are from a very small town. But I grew up in a large city and dont find GR or Lansing to be 'big' cities in the least. In fact, there are suburbs of many cities larger than GR or Lansing alone. And going to the neighborhood bar or coffee bar or the Chippewa River does not constitute anything to do at all in my opinion. You and I must come from 2 different worlds.
Are you just looking to stir a turd in all your posts? He doesn't say "big city" anywhere about GR or Lansing. He said "bigger city", as in bigger than Mount Pleasant, which they are. It would be like saying you are going to the bigger city of St. Ignace from Mackinac City. Both of which are very small places, but one IS bigger than the other, just not "big". Jeeze, get a grip and stop spewing the negative all the time.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:54 PM

What R U talking about???

Old 05-26-2009, 09:43 PM

140 posts, read 459,427 times
Mt. Pleasant is nice, typical college town. Plenty of practical amenities, not too many cultural amenities. This area is flat, but northern lower and upper mi is not at all. You will get much more snow, not so much rain. Just because a city is big doesn't mean it's great. Detroit is huge and though it has some cool things, much of it's size is run down and crappy. Michigan has TONS of culture. Go to TC, grand Haven, Petoskey, Mackinac Island, Charlevoix, Pictured Rocks, or almost any lakeshore town and the summers are packed with festivals and fun. Grand Rapids has nice museums. Detroit has a great zoo. I grew up in the mid-mi area and went to CMU, later moving north. I had to move to Iowa for work. You want to talk lack of culture...

Old 05-26-2009, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermom0204 View Post
Mt. Pleasant is nice, typical college town. Plenty of practical amenities, not too many cultural amenities. This area is flat, but northern lower and upper mi is not at all. You will get much more snow, not so much rain. Just because a city is big doesn't mean it's great. Detroit is huge and though it has some cool things, much of it's size is run down and crappy. Michigan has TONS of culture. Go to TC, grand Haven, Petoskey, Mackinac Island, Charlevoix, Pictured Rocks, or almost any lakeshore town and the summers are packed with festivals and fun. Grand Rapids has nice museums. Detroit has a great zoo. I grew up in the mid-mi area and went to CMU, later moving north. I had to move to Iowa for work. You want to talk lack of culture...
I graduated from CMU too (in 2002) and am glad I left Mt. Pleasant. I havent been back since. Although my family still lives in E Lansing, I moved to AZ (Phoenix) in 2005 for work. And for being Midwesterners, many Iowans I know personally are just weird. Dont know what it is. I've never undertsood Iowans. Their introverted and reserved and very uninteresting--and liberal for being so rural. Nothing like Wisconsinites!

Old 05-27-2009, 04:32 AM

859 posts, read 2,149,109 times
I cant believe People here sometimes. Seems everything turns into a {issingmatch now.

LOL Was laughing at the Mc Jerk tho thats funny !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan