Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2010, 10:14 AM

845 posts, read 1,349,120 times

Advertisements

I was thinking of all kinds of ideas to get started in pursuing a career in the computer industry. I know going through college is probably the best way of doing so. However, I want to start doing things right away. I am interesting in volunteering and using the skills to increase my chances of a career.

I've talked to a lot of villages/cities around me. They are looking for help in either creating websites, creating networks in small to medium size businesses and homes.

If there is anyone on here that can share some ideas on how to get started in this type of field?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 10:32 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitopcat View Post
I was thinking of all kinds of ideas to get started in pursuing a career in the computer industry. I know going through college is probably the best way of doing so. However, I want to start doing things right away. I am interesting in volunteering and using the skills to increase my chances of a career.

I've talked to a lot of villages/cities around me. They are looking for help in either creating websites, creating networks in small to medium size businesses and homes.

If there is anyone on here that can share some ideas on how to get started in this type of field?
If your library has public computers, volunteer to help there.

Old 03-23-2010, 03:29 PM

2,947 posts, read 7,019,987 times
Depending on your knowledge base, you might want to start by working part time for a local computer repair place. This gives you hands on experience that college limits.

Also - what part of computer career are you looking for? There is help desk support, network/architecture, hardware, software, etc. The best thing you can do is narrow down what you want to excel with and get very proficient at that.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:45 PM

274 posts, read 627,717 times
First off, what type of experience, if any, do you have with computers? Have you taken yours apart and put it back together, or upgraded the hardware, or installed the Operating System from scratch? Depending on how much experience you have will determine where you should start.

I have been in the IT industry for going on 12 years now, specializing in Networking. I didn't go to college, but did all my stuff through self-study. In MY OPINION, college is really only good if you want to be in Management.

IT work is all about specializing in a particular field. Like Networking, Server Support, Wed Design, Email Administrator, etc...

You can look at Barnes and Nobles or Amazon and order self-study books for all kinds of things from Networking (Cisco), Desktop Support (Microsoft), Server Support (Microsoft/Linux), All the programming languages if you want to be a developer, Webpage design, etc...

And you can get some CBTs (Computer Based Training) CDs to supplement your books. The best ones I have found are from CBT Nuggets: Training for Cisco CCNA SQL MCSE VB.NET A+ Linux PMP & Many More IT Certification Exams!, or you can try Train Signal - Computer Training Videos - Microsoft, VMware, Cisco, CompTIA & more!. Go through the books and CDs and then go take your certification test. Once you pass a test, you are certified for that particular thing.

Another thing to do if you do self-study is create yourself a lab at home. Walk through all the scenarios that the CDs and books are showing you. Do them over and over till you completely understand them. Nothing is better than repetition when it comes to doing those things.

One thing about the IT industry, it's really up to you how much money you can make. The more you learn and know the more valuable you will be to an employer.
That is the fastest way to get into the industry and to start working. Once you pass a Microsoft or Cisco test, then you can start advertising on your business cards or how ever else you advertised that you are a Certified Technician.

I currently have my CCNP (Cisco Certified Network Professional) which took me 14 months to complete and its 5 exams. I also have my CCVP (Cisco Certified Voice Professional) which took me 18 months and its 5 exams also. Voice Over IP is one of the hottest growing fields in IT right now. Also one of the better paying ones. I am currently working on my CCSP (Cisco Certified Security Professional) which should take me around 16 or so months to complete and that is 4 exams.

I also have my MCSE + Messaging (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer with Exchange 2003) certification, but my Cisco Certs are the ones that are getting me my job offers. But again, Networking is what I like doing. I don't do Help Desk or Desktop Support, but if that's what you like then take all the Microsoft Certs you can take.

The recent Network World magazine that I read last month said that Voice Over IP jobs are looking to increase 70% in the next 5 years and Security jobs are looking to increase 80% over the next 5 years.

If you have any questions feel free to hit me up in a PM or just ask here.

Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan