Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 05:22 PM

2 posts, read 10,901 times

Advertisements

Here is another source that may help those who received BCD's:

FEDERAL BONDING PROGRAM:

Priority of Service:
Priority of Service is given to Veterans and eligible spouses. Veteran, for the sole purpose of Priority of Service, means a person who served at least one day in the active military, naval, or air service, and who was discharged or released under conditions other than dishonorable. Active service includes full-time Federal service in the National Guard or a Reserve component.

Who does the program help?

Bond coverage is provided for any persons whose background usually leads employers to question their honesty and deny them a job. The program will cover any person who is a "risk" due to their being in one or more of the following groups:
• ex-offender with a record of arrest, conviction or imprisonment; anyone who has ever been on parole or probation, or has any police record
• ex-addict who has been rehabilitated through treatment for alcohol and drug abuse
• poor credit record or have declared bankruptcy
• persons lacking a work history who are families with low income
• dishonorably discharged from the military

Those with a DD can't claim "Priority of Service," but it looks like they can still receive a Bond. Read about the Federal Bonding Program at Federal Bonding Program Home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 12:38 AM

3 posts, read 14,043 times
Joonka,

Well, I will say that the guy with BCD who started this thread was 100% correct about "look at your records, look at your records"

I too received a BCD at a general court-martial, I never re-enlistment after my first four years instead, I extended for 12 months, the catch the VA tried to sell me was that my enlistment was for 5 years because my upfront 12 month extension before I went to boot-camp and there is no such thing, there are no five year enlistment,meaning the longest enlistment according to the law can only be for four years. The extension becomes effective on the day after original enlistment expires. In other words, at your origninal EASO, then the 12 month extension starts.

Never had any problems during my first four years, received my good conduct medal from my first four years. Extension was signed at the start of initial (first) enlistment (before I wne to Boot-camp), went to general court martial during the 12 month extension, convicted 14 months in the brig. However, when the 12 month extension became effective, the VA ruled it started a new period that was separated by the 12 month extension. so, essentially, I had two service periods although only one enlistment, with my first four years being under honorable conditions. Keep in mind my DD214 simply says BCD reason (court martial)

No where does it say, i had any honorable service, but the VA says the military made a mistake when they prepared it, it should have read 4 years of honorable service because my BCD by law could only cover the 12 month extension since my court martial happened during the extension and I had no issues during my first four years, meaning my first enlistment.

The VA awarded my COE for the VA loan and informed me i need to petition the board of corrections to modify my discharge to reflect 4 years of honorable service or they should issue me an initial honorable discharge for my first four since I was eligible for an Honorable before my extension kicked in!!!!!!!!

First as explained to me by the VA, and they even directed me to MILPERSMAN 1160-040, please look it up at:

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers- npc/reference/milpersman/1000/1100Recruitinig/Documents/1160-040.pdf

Just google it, my court martial was in 1999, the above instructed is dated 2 sep 2010 but it has never changed , it discusses extensions in debt as it relates to enlistment etc.

I know this long winded, however, like I said, dude who started this thread was 100 percent correct!

"look at your records, look at your records"!! and for the people that said if you only extended and didn't re-enlistment so you can can't get any benefit if you end up with a BCD/Dishonorable etc they are incorrect!!!!!

if you extended you are qualify for at least your VA loan which I know becomes mine was approved yesterday!! and as a consequence you may qualify for every other benefit because you finish your initial enlistment without incident.

this important too: I FOUND OUT BECAUSE OF MY RESEARCH THERE IS A DIFFERENCE IN MEANING OF ENLISTMENT, AND ENLISTMENT CONTRACT

ENLISTMENT, is the length time you are allowed to sign up for by law, with maximum time for a standard enlistment contract by law being 4 YEARS!

Now the law allows you to agree to an extension beyond that first 4 years for what ever reason.

This only extends the time you contracted to served. IT CANNOT MAKE YOUR INITIAL FOUR YEARS ENLISTMENT LONGER, say for five years. Your initial enlistment is still for four years!

You hear all kinds of stuff, because everyone has an opinion, but when you challenge the VA based on the law they have to do the right thing as their rulings cannot be simply based on their opinion of you, but what does existing law say.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:16 PM

3 posts, read 13,833 times
Default My bad

In 1991 I receved a BCD for wrongful position and distribution 3.7grhams to be exact no jail time served just a reduction in rank and sent back on the block. Am I intitled to my GI bill as well as any other benefits ? And how do I go about doing so?

Old 12-17-2013, 11:35 PM

How long were you in for ?
Have u ever red listed? Did you sign up for the a
GI bill?

You have to be Little more specific

But at the end if the day h have to apply to find out Bro

Old 12-17-2013, 11:37 PM

I meant, have you ever re-enlisted or extended?

You have to provide more info, but as I said it all starts with applying if you believe you are entitled to the benefit.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:55 AM

Back in 92 i recived a bad conduct discharge by way of court martial for wrongful positition and distrubution of a controlled substants no jail time served just reduction in rank and sent back on the block. Need to know if I'm I titled to any va benefits? Although my discharge was bad don't understand what type of court martial I have. On my dd214 line 23 type of separation says discharge 24. Bad conduct 26.jjd 27. 4 28. As a result of court martial-other. Could somebody tell me what this mean?

Old 01-03-2014, 10:02 AM

Never reenlisted was in the national guard for two years before I went active from 89 to 91

Old 01-03-2014, 12:48 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,139,330 times
Don't know whether this has already been posted, but read this:

Quote:
[SIZE=2]Under Other Than Honorable Conditions. OTH Discharges are warranted when the reason for separation is based upon a pattern of behavior that constitutes a significant departure from the conduct expected of members of the Military Services, or when the reason for separation is based upon one or more acts or omissions that constitute a significant departure from the conduct expected of members of the Military Services. Examples of factors that may be considered include the use of force or violence to produce serious bodily injury or death, abuse of a special position of trust, disregard by a superior of customary superior-subordinate relationships, acts or omissions that endanger the security of the United States or the health and welfare of other members of the Military Services, and deliberate acts or omissions that seriously endanger the health and safety of other persons. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Persons awarded an OTH characterization of service: are not entitled to retain their uniforms or wear them home (although they may be furnished civilian clothing at a cost of not more than $50); must accept transportation in kind to their homes; are subject to recoupment of any reenlistment bonus they may have received; are not eligible for notice of discharge to employers (which may affect unemployment benefits); and, do not receive mileage fees from the place of discharge to their home of record.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]It is generally believed that an OTH Discharge will render an individual ineligible for all VA Benefits. This is not necessarily so. The Department of Veterans Affairs will make its own determination with respect as to whether the OTH was based on conditions which would forfeit any or all VA benefits. Most veterans' benefits will be forfeited if that determination is adverse to the former service-member, such as when based on the following circumstances: (1) Desertion; (2) escape prior to trial by general court-martial; (3) conscientious objector who refuses to perform military duties, wear the uniform, or comply with lawful orders of competent military authorities; (4) willful or persistent misconduct; (5) offense(s) involving moral turpitude; (6) mutiny or spying; or (7) homosexual acts involving aggravating circumstances. [/SIZE]
From Military Justice 101 - Part 3, Enlisted Administrative Separations

Old 01-16-2014, 12:12 PM

2 posts, read 7,070 times
Default Help, please help!!!

Hello my name is Armon. Our Son got a bad conduct discharge and is now serving his time. This has devastated this Family, and we just don't know what to do. And reading all the post just confuses us even more. Some of you seem to think that "there is light at the end of the tunnel" Could you please help us?, and tell us where we should start? felling really lost right now.
Thanks.
Rate this post positively

Old 01-16-2014, 12:47 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armon w rac View Post
Some of you seem to think that "there is light at the end of the tunnel" Could you please help us?, and tell us where we should start? felling really lost right now
You might visit a local church/ministry/religious center... Your son is "serving his time"? Support him the best you can. There is an end to this situation.

Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues