Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 01:43 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,080,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I can't find anything in the article that states, or even implies, that he left voluntarily.
Then perhaps you should read the interview. It is clear that his departure was entirely voluntary:

Quote:
But he had already decided this would be his last deployment, his SEAL Team 6 sayonara.

"I wanted to see my children graduate and get married." He hoped to be able to sleep through the night for the first time in years. "I was burned out," he says. "And I realized that when I stopped getting an adrenaline rush from gunfights, it was time to go."

Read more: Man Who Killed Osama Bin Laden - Treatment of Veteran Who Shot bin Laden - Esquire Man Who Killed Osama Bin Laden - Treatment of Veteran Who Shot bin Laden - Esquire
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 01:51 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
I can't find anything in the article that states, or even implies, that he left voluntarily. It wouldn't be a matter of being "forced out" if his enlistment came up and he was simply not allowed to re enlist. His commitment would have been served and he would have simply been honorably discharged.
Every article I read says he left, and the FOX article quotes him explaining why he left (wants to be with family). Maybe he plans to write a book, or something. Where are you getting this "not allowed to re-enlist" theory? That was not even hinted on any of the articles I read.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:52 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
The article doesn't say that he quit voluntarily or to be with his family.
I added the link to the FOX article which says so (post #67)

Old 02-11-2013, 02:06 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,430,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I will say that there is a case to be made that all the guys on that team were exposed by this administration when THEY pointed out who the individuals were.
When did THEY point out who the individuals were?

Old 02-11-2013, 02:07 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Every article I read says he left, and the FOX article quotes him explaining why he left (wants to be with family). Maybe he plans to write a book, or something. Where are you getting this "not allowed to re-enlist" theory? That was not even hinted on any of the articles I read.
I am not saying that he was not allowed to re enlist. I was stating that this is a common "reason" why people "get out" with with four years left till retirement.

I missed the statement that he 'wanted to see his kids graduate and get married' in the Fox article - my bad. I cannot find any other article anywhere that states under what conditions he left the military - voluntary or involuntary.

I'm sorry, I just find it a little odd when anyone who has served for 16 years would get out 4 years before retirement benefits kick in. Not to say it doesn't happen voluntarily - but dang, that's a pretty drastic step and very detrimental to one's retirement plan. Of course, that's his business but when I see this, it arouses my curiosity because it's such a drastic step at such a late point in a military career.

So that's why I was asking questions. I have a curious mind and I like to understand "why."

Also - there are classes you're supposed to take before you get out of the military, in which your benefits and changes and opportunities and challenges are CLEARLY laid out. At many installations these classes are mandatory, and they are available to ANY military personnel who are transitioning back into civilian life. It should not be a surprise to him that he doesn't have medical insurance benefits via the military. He does have VA benefits for himself. Why it's taking 8 months to line out is puzzling to me. My son, who found out in January that he's getting out in April, has already met with the military about his VA medical benefits for his injuries and PTSD. We'll see how it pans out, but he's already got an appt with the VA the week after he comes home.

Also, I am pretty sure that the Shooter (as this SEAL is called in some articles) qualifies for the educational benefits, as well as unemployment benefits. The educational benefits cover job retraining, college, and vocational certifications - all costs plus a living stipend of over $1000 a month for up to 36 months after separating.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:08 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,430,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
THAT he has a case for. This administration should have kept their mouths shut, and not endangered the lives of every SEAL team member involved in the operation, as well as their families (anyone remember that chopper full of SEALs that went down a few months later - yeah I know I sound like a tin foiler).

But retiring out of the military four years early was this service members decision, and therefore his lack of benefits is his own responsbility.
Kept their mouths shut about what? What information did they give out that put these guys in danger?

Old 02-11-2013, 02:14 PM

What is the Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Program?

The Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) Program is authorized by Congress under Title 38, USC, Chapter 31 and Code of Federal Regulations, Part 21. It is sometimes referred to as the Chapter 31 program. This program assists Veterans with service-connected disabilities to prepare for, find, and keep suitable jobs. For Veterans with service-connected disabilities so severe that they cannot immediately consider work, this program offers services to improve their ability to live as independently as possible.

Services that may be provided by the VR&E Program include:

Comprehensive rehabilitation evaluation to determine abilities, skills, and interests for employment
Vocational counseling and rehabilitation planning for employment services
Employment services such as job-training, job-seeking skills, resume development, and other work readiness assistance
Assistance finding and keeping a job, including the use of special employer incentives and job accommodations
On the Job Training (OJT), apprenticeships, and non-paid work experiences
Post-secondary training at a college, vocational, technical or business school
Supportive rehabilitation services including case management, counseling, and medical referrals
Independent living services for Veterans unable to work due to the severity of their disabilities

Who is Eligible for VR&E Services?

Active Duty Service Members are eligible if they:

Expect to receive an honorable discharge upon separation from active duty
Obtain a memorandum rating of 20% or more from the VA
Apply for Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) services
Veterans are eligible if they:

Have received, or will receive, a discharge that is other than dishonorable
Have a service-connected disability rating of at least 10%, or a memorandum rating of 20% or more from the Department of Veteran Affairs (VA)
Apply for Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) services
Basic period of Eligibility

The basic period of eligibility in which VR&E services may be used is 12 years from the latter of the following:

Date of separation from active military service, or
Date the veteran was first notified by VA of a service-connected disability rating.
The basic period of eligibility may be extended if a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor (VRC) determines that a Veteran has a Serious Employment Handicap

Post 9/11 GI Bill:
Some of the benefits the Post-9/11 GI Bill will pay include:

Your full tuition & fees directly to the school for all public school in-state students. For those attending private or foreign schools tuition & fees are capped at the national maximum rate. Click here for more information.
If you are attending a private Institution of Higher Learning in AZ, MI, NH, NY, PA, SC or TX you may be eligible for a higher tuition reimbursement rate. Click here for more information.
For those attending a more expensive private school or a public school as a non-resident out-of-state student, a program exists which may help to reimburse the difference. This program is called the “Yellow Ribbon Program”. (Click on the link for more information about the Yellow Ribbon Program, not everyone is eligible for the program).

A monthly housing allowance (MHA)

An annual books & supplies stipend

A one-time rural benefit payment

Welcome to the GI Bill Web Site | The Home for All Educational Benefits Provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs

Old 02-11-2013, 02:25 PM

Don't get me wrong - as a former military brat, wife, and mother, with my grandfather, uncles, brother, dad, three of my kids, and various nieces and nephews who have served our country honorably, I am a huge supporter of our military personnel and veterans. My point is though, that usually when something is going so spectacularly wrong, there's missing information - and my inquiring mind wants to know...

Old 02-11-2013, 02:43 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Me thinks some right wing nut job is claiming to be something he or she isn't.

Just my opinion.
Could be.

The following, from NBC news, struck me as a little odd:

"By retiring four years before his 20th year of service, the SEAL also immediately lost all health benefits. He told Bronstein that even if he stayed long enough, his pension would amount to $2,100 a month, the same a member of the Navy choir receives."

As is noted in the comments following the article, one's MOS has nothing to do with salary. Surely a 16-year serviceman would know this. So, it really has me wondering as to why this was even a point of discussion.

Reporter: SEAL who shot bin Laden is living 'like a mafia snitch' - TODAY News

Old 02-11-2013, 03:07 PM

59,089 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Could be.

The following, from NBC news, struck me as a little odd:

"By retiring four years before his 20th year of service, the SEAL also immediately lost all health benefits. He told Bronstein that even if he stayed long enough, his pension would amount to $2,100 a month, the same a member of the Navy choir receives."

As is noted in the comments following the article, one's MOS has nothing to do with salary. Surely a 16-year serviceman would know this. So, it really has me wondering as to why this was even a point of discussion.

Reporter: SEAL who shot bin Laden is living 'like a mafia snitch' - TODAY News
"the SEAL also immediately lost all health benefits.' I Don't think that is true.

I believe he can carry his health insurance for 180 days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues