Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 08:06 PM

628 posts, read 1,389,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoua1 View Post
Of your choices, Developmental Engineer and Scientist requires a degree; they're officer positions.

And as I mentioned earlier, I was a Crypto-Linguist.
Any idea where I should start as far as getting into fields like Scientist and Developmental Engineer? Getting a degree before joining the military is not really an option with my limited funds and the point would mostly be moot since around only 9% of those going in wanting to be an officer actually get it according to my recruiter. I have a much higher chance of becoming an officer if I'm already 2 years or more into the Air Force as an Enlisted: about a 40% chance.

The problem is: where do I start?

I figure go in as an Enlisted in a field I like, then later if I still want to obtain a position that requires one to be an Officer, apply for Officer while getting simultaneously getting my bachelor's or higher degree for the field I'm interested in. That's all only if the field and job I'm interested in are still hiring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 08:11 PM

24,298 posts, read 13,142,965 times
As I mentioned earlier, there's the Weather Service. Also, I work with a former Combat Control Team member (CCT) which consists of the following:

Jump out of an airplane, sometimes HALO.

Set up a drop or landing zone for cargo or paratroops.

Play with the latest tech tools and computers.

Set up navigational aids in all sorts of places.

Air Traffic Controller certification (goes a long way in the civilian world).

Old 06-19-2013, 08:19 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorsWolf View Post
Getting a degree before joining the military is not really an option with my limited funds and the point would mostly be moot since around only 9% of those going in wanting to be an officer actually get it according to my recruiter. I have a much higher chance of becoming an officer if I'm already 2 years or more into the Air Force as an Enlisted: about a 40% chance.
I would like to see some real, recent, verifiable data on those statistics...

Old 06-19-2013, 08:27 PM

142 posts, read 677,418 times
I agree with Poncho, those stats don't sound right.

If you have a science degree and do well on the AFOQT, you should get selected for OCS.

Another route is to join ROTC; there are merit scholarships available.

Attempting to obtain your degree while enlisted is doable. But it may not be doable in the time-frame you're hoping for due to ops tempo and/or deployments.

Feel free to PM me.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:51 PM

Quote:
I agree with Poncho, those stats don't sound right.

If you have a science degree and do well on the AFOQT, you should get selected for OCS.

Another route is to join ROTC; there are merit scholarships available.

Attempting to obtain your degree while enlisted is doable. But it may not be doable in the time-frame you're hoping for due to ops tempo and/or deployments.

Feel free to PM me.
I was thinking 4 years might long enough to get my Bachelor's degree since I plan on Enlisting for 4 years. I know you need to be an Officer to be a Scientist or Developmental Engineer, but is there a starting job that I can take for the first 4 years while I'm getting my Bachelor's degree that can help me get into the fields I want while possibly getting some experience beforehand in those fields?

Old 06-19-2013, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I would like to see some real, recent, verifiable data on those statistics...
I'm just telling you what my recruiter told me, I have no idea whether or not this data is true let alone verifiable. I've often heard of recruiters saying whatever it takes to get you into the military including lying to your face. Although I don't know how many recruiters are actually like that and how often that actually happens, I've heard similar things about MEPS: falsified records, made-up medical conditions, etc. all to make it so you can not get in to the military. Of course I have no idea whether any of these are verifiable incidents or simply rumors. I have seen articles on these sorts of things, but again I don't know whether not these articles are verifiable as they could simply have been made up or based on made-up information.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:19 PM

Quote:
I was thinking 4 years might long enough to get my Bachelor's degree since I plan on Enlisting for 4 years. I know you need to be an Officer to be a Scientist or Developmental Engineer, but is there a starting job that I can take for the first 4 years while I'm getting my Bachelor's degree that can help me get into the fields I want while possibly getting some experience beforehand in those fields?
I can't say which enlisted job will relate your to R&D aspirations since you haven't really narrowed down what you want to obtain your degree in or what you want to do "when you grow-up". You plan on physics? No enlisted correlation. You plan on electrical engineering? An IT field may be beneficial. Plan on mechanical or aerospace engineering? Transportation or aircraft mechanic should suffice.

And your job in the AF will be determined by the AF. So if you have a 99 ASVAB score, but the recruiter won't guarantee you a job, what are you going to do?

1) Enlist right-away as "open General"? That means you're most likely (90%) a Security Policeman.
2) Wait for a guarantee job? You may be waiting a while(3-,6-,12-,18-months).

To finish your degree within 4 years, you need to be in a career field with "normal" work hours and minimal deployments. You'll also require a management team that is willing to be flexible with your schedule. Otherwise, it can be difficult to finish your degree.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:30 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
I'm just telling you what my recruiter told me, I have no idea whether or not this data is true let alone verifiable.
I believe Air Force Officer recruitment is handled by separate recruiters. That is based on recent posts in this forum by Air Force Officer recruiter.

Quote:
I've often heard of recruiters saying whatever it takes to get you into the military including lying to your face.

I've heard similar things about MEPS: falsified records, made-up medical conditions, etc. all to make it so you can not get in to the military.
Heard of and actual proof are two different things. I have talked to and been involved with a variety of recruiters. What I obseverved that some people really do not pay attention. Some people only hear what they want to hear. Then there is the "Oh-crap" syndrome. Some people realize the military was not what they expected.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:44 PM

Quote:
I can't say which enlisted job will relate your to R&D aspirations since you haven't really narrowed down what you want to obtain your degree in or what you want to do "when you grow-up". You plan on physics? No enlisted correlation. You plan on electrical engineering? An IT field may be beneficial. Plan on mechanical or aerospace engineering? Transportation or aircraft mechanic should suffice.

And your job in the AF will be determined by the AF. So if you have a 99 ASVAB score, but the recruiter won't guarantee you a job, what are you going to do?

1) Enlist right-away as "open General"? That means you're most likely (90%) a Security Policeman.
2) Wait for a guarantee job? You may be waiting a while(3-,6-,12-,18-months).

To finish your degree within 4 years, you need to be in a career field with "normal" work hours and minimal deployments. You'll also require a management team that is willing to be flexible with your schedule. Otherwise, it can be difficult to finish your degree.
According to my recruiter, so many people are afraid of enlisting with an "Open General Contract", but being assigned a job you have no interest in rarely happens.

I haven no idea where you got that "Security Policeman" from, I've never heard of that and my recruiter never said anything about that.

I was told if I want to go special forces, after the ASVAB test if I qualify with a high-enough score I would have to take an additional "test" just to have the right to have the job and begin training I read much on these "Tests" and even seen some documentary videos on them: it's basically the best way to "weed-out" any who probably won't make the cut and these "tests" have the highest wash-out rates.

I'm still considering whether or not I should even attempt to go SERE Instructor or do something like Cryptologic Linguist, Cyber Surety, or Aircraft Metals Technology then get my bachelor's degree and go into a higher-up technical field like Scientist or Developmental Engineer (although I'd rather be both).

Old 06-19-2013, 09:57 PM

Quote:
According to my recruiter, so many people are afraid of enlisting with an "Open General Contract", but being assigned a job you have no interest in rarely happens.
By all means, if you're comfortable with the "worst-case scenario" (not getting a job from your top-3/5 choices), then there's nothing to lose. As Poncho pointed out, do not be disappointed if things don't go the way you hoped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues