Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 10:03 PM

389 posts, read 1,219,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorsWolf View Post
Thanks for reminding me, Army_Guy! ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoua1

"Even though your sights are on the Air Force, do realize it's still the military, the profession of arms... which means your are to uphold the constitution and defend the US against all enemies, foreign and domestic. This means inflicting harm on others when ordered to do so."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM

"The oath of enlistment is the same whatever your job is. You don't get to choose what you will or will not do..."

rmissourimule said it pretty good:

"Although he was in the Army, the ranks are the same and everything probably similar although as a general rule, the AF personnel do not engage in any combat. You won't need to worry about harming other people.

The last worry you will have is to be concerned about the oaths of allegiance. You're always free to make your own personal choices regarding religious affiliation. Nobody crams that down your throat. You'll have bigger fish to fry."

Although to clarify this: most jobs in the Air Force, unless you choose a field like security or special ops, are focused on other tasks than direct-combat. Jobs like the fighter jet pilots are obvious exceptions, but even they do not often directly engage in direct combat: they fire upon the enemy using powerful missiles and other weapon systems built into their fighter jet. The Air Force is not infantry that is not their primary goal, their primary goal is the skies hence the name "Air" Force.

Of course, every military personal is trained and prepped for basic combat in case a situation should arise, with the obvious exception of Chaplin who is not even allowed to carry a weapon although I am not sure if they must go through basic combat training as well but not allowed to fight after the training.

However should a base come under attack, if you grab a weapon and fire upon the enemy when your job is the vital task of maintaining electronic communications you will be, needless to say, reprimanded pretty harshly. Duh. Try not to let your bravado overpower your brain.

Moving on, does anyone know of any jobs in the Air Force where you are not maintaining existing things but designing new technologies and creating new things no matter how unconventional or unusual or innovative?
You said it well. We had yearly carbine training but did not have weapons issued to us. The only time I was put into any possible danger was when I guard our gun room for a 12 hour stretch after pulling my regular duties during the day. (That was during the Algerian crisis in France) We had a break-in at a sister base in France and this was their response.

The other time was during the Cuban Missile Crisis that lasted for three days on the base. Those were dangerous times and everyone was on the brink of extinction had nuclear war broken out as seemed likely. I hated those drills. SOS at 3 AM in the morning. Ugh.

But for the most part it was like a civilian job. I wish I had availed myself more of the sights in France and Europe but I did see a good deal of places that I remember to this day. I did not particularly enjoy my time in Tripoli, Libya but that was only a TDY assignment before Quadaffi came to power. My trip to England was pretty neat though although I froze my rear end off in that C-47 "Goonie Bird" over the English channel. England was nice because we spoke the same language.

The biggest immediate change will the the basic training unless it has changed drastically since I was in there. You soon realize that you are lower than pond scum and I heard some words I had never heard before or since. But you get over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 10:07 PM

142 posts, read 677,418 times
Quote:
I was told if I want to go special forces, after the ASVAB test if I qualify with a high-enough score I would have to take an additional "test" just to have the right to have the job and begin training I read much on these "Tests" and even seen some documentary videos on them: it's basically the best way to "weed-out" any who probably won't make the cut and these "tests" have the highest wash-out rates.
Unless you slept through high school, your ASVAB score should qualify for PJ, CCT, or TACP.

However, you will have to pass their "pre-test" in basic training before you get selected for their school. The attrition rate is close to 90% for PJ/CCT. I'm not sure about TACP, but it should be high as well since the initial phase is (I'm assuming) purely physical as with PJ/CCT. If you have the mental and physical fortitude to endure their training, you'll enjoy those career fields.

Old 06-20-2013, 02:34 PM

628 posts, read 1,389,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoua1 View Post
Unless you slept through high school, your ASVAB score should qualify for PJ, CCT, or TACP.

However, you will have to pass their "pre-test" in basic training before you get selected for their school. The attrition rate is close to 90% for PJ/CCT. I'm not sure about TACP, but it should be high as well since the initial phase is (I'm assuming) purely physical as with PJ/CCT. If you have the mental and physical fortitude to endure their training, you'll enjoy those career fields.
Actually, if you read my first post you would see that I mentioned I got my GED.

I was pulled from high-school by my parents after about only half a year, so I never got to experience any of those things like ROTC or even got to take the ASVAB test.

That's why I've studying for all this time for the ASVAB test, luckily for me my two strongest subjects English and Mathematics count for the highest points for the ASVAB test.

I never got far in high-school, so I never learned much about Automotive, Shop, Mechanical Comprehension, and Electronics and none of those were on the GED either.

I've been struggling with Automotive in particular, but at this point it's becoming easier.

It's like math, once I am given the materials and the method for putting them together and using them, I can understand it. That's how I can see everything.

In addition to honing my mind, I am honing my body as well: I do at least 50 push-ups and sit-ups a day, if I have more energy I usually do 50 exercises for 3 different kinds of push-ups, 3 different kinds of sit-ups, and 3 different kinds of squats for a total of 150 push-ups, 150 sit-ups, and 150 squats.

I am also eating healthier: no ice-cream, no candy, and no junk food like chips.

Wherever I end up, I want to make sure I give it it my best.

Old 06-22-2013, 02:31 PM

So if I want to get into the SERE Instructor position,

I need to meet these minimum requirements:

Score a 55 on the ASVAB test.

Obtain an 11th Reading Grade Level on the Air Force Reading Abilities Test.

Uncorrected Vision no worse than 20/400 each corrected to 20/20.

Lift 70 pounds over your head.

Be able to carry a 65 pound backpack across 4 miles in 1 hour.

Qualify for a secret security clearance for entry.

Past the minimum for the military PAST:

48 Push-ups - in 2 min.s
48 Sit-ups - in 2 min.s
8 Pull-ups - in 1 min.s
1.5 mile run - in less than 11:00 minutes
200 meter swim - free style, breast stroke, side stroke - 10 minute time limit

If I go by what my recruiter told me, some of these requirements are out of date.

I have some questions though about some of the requirements:

1. What does it mean obtain an 11th grade level on the Air Force Reading Abilities Test, is that part of the ASVAB?

2. What is no worse than 20/400 corrected eyes to 20/20 mean? I don't understand the numbers and I don't know mine either. Only that I'm near-sighted.

3. Finally, how do I be able to apply for a secret security clearance for entrance and what does that mean?

Old 06-22-2013, 02:40 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:

I have some questions though about some of the requirements:

1. What does it mean obtain an 11th grade level on the Air Force Reading Abilities Test, is that part of the ASVAB?

2. What is no worse than 20/400 corrected eyes to 20/20 mean? I don't understand the numbers and I don't know mine either. Only that I'm near-sighted.

3. Finally, how do I be able to apply for a secret security clearance for entrance and what does that mean?
1. I don't know.

2. Do you wear glasses? Whoever wrote your glass prescription or made your glasses can tell you the numbers. 20/500 would be bad...

3. You have paperwork to fill out. The recruiter has that...

Old 06-22-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
1. I don't know.

2. Do you wear glasses? Whoever wrote your glass prescription or made your glasses can tell you the numbers. 20/500 would be bad...

3. You have paperwork to fill out. The recruiter has that...
Thanks!~ ^_^

I think I need a new prescription, distance is a little weird on my current glasses.

So I'm thinking maybe I can take the eye examination results at MEPS and change my prescription and finally learn my numbers.

Or it is it better that I go see an eye doctor before I submit my application?

By the way,

I now have 10 jobs listed that I'm interested in and I have finished my application my recruiter sent me, so hopefully I'll get the honor of an interview to see if I'm Air Force material.

Here are my listed jobs:

SERE (Survival Evasion Resistance and Escape) Instructor
Cryptologic Linguist
Aircraft Metals Technology
Developmental Engineer
Scientist
Cyber Surety
Space Systems Operations
Cyber Systems Operations
Computer Systems Programming
Communication Signals Intelligence

If I wash out of the SERE "make the cut" test, I want to go into either Cryptologic Linguist or Aircraft Metals Technology as my next top picks. The jobs are listed from my desired to least interested. Not sure if these are permanent choices, so I'll try to score a 99 on my ASVAB and give it my best!~ ^_^

Old 06-22-2013, 03:07 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times
My only suggestion would be to make sure that any one of the jobs you mentioned would be one you would be willing to do. Army has a funny way of giving you what you asked for would imagine AF is the same.

Good luck

Old 06-22-2013, 03:08 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,348,063 times
Quote:

2. That without glasses or contacts, your vision is 20/400, which means what a normal person sees at 400 feet you need to be within 20 feet to see. That's pretty nearsighted; if you can't make out faces 10-15 feet but can tell there's probably a person there, that's the ballpark. If your best vision WITH glasses is 20/200 or worse, you are legally blind. The corrected to 20/20 means that with glasses or contacts, you have perfect vision. Many people have very poor uncorrected vision (worse than 20/200) but it can be corrected to 20/20 as long as they have access to glasses or contacts.

3. Information can be unclassified, classified CONFIDENTIAL, classified SECRET, classified TOP SECRET, or classified TOP SECRET with special access. To get a secret security clearance means your background and history have been investigated, and you don't have any glaring issues that would make putting classified information up to SECRET in your hands a poor risk.

Things that make people ineligible are typically debt, recent alcohol abuse, recent drug abuse, and foreign preference/contacts (married to a foreigner who won't take citizenship is a common issue for TOP SECRET applicants). Most things can be 'mitigated' (explained and you show why even with the issue, it's not going to be an issue in the future), especially over time, but sometimes the behavior is too recent or too egregious to overlook.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotwein View Post
Best job for enlisted in the AF is aircraft loadmaster, that is if you like to travel and see other countries. Several videos on youtube.
You know what? I actually will put that on my list, because Loadmaster sounds like good job, every job is vital right?

GeorgiaTransplant: thank you so much for everything, you have been a superb quality of help in everything! I'm sorry I got mad at you earlier, I misread your post. I guess there are some things about the Air Force military that to understand, I just have to see or experience for myself. ^.^

Old 06-22-2013, 04:59 PM

142 posts, read 677,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
My only suggestion would be to make sure that any one of the jobs you mentioned would be one you would be willing to do. Army has a funny way of giving you what you asked for would imagine AF is the same.

Good luck
OP, this statement is completely true.

SERE instructor may be a very rewarding experience/career, teaching members of the armed forces about survival, evasion, resistance, and escape. However, are you prepared to go through the course yourself? You have to experience it before you can teach it. You can't "instruct" a student to eat a coal when they have diarrhea, or to eat a grass-hopper for protein, if won't eat them yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues