Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 05:40 AM

1 posts, read 4,578 times

Advertisements

My son just recently been disqualified from joining the military because of something that would be considered minor. He's being told his waiver was not been approved. However, he' being asked to write a letter requesting release. Is this unusual?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 07:30 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,331,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajene007 View Post
My son just recently been disqualified from joining the military because of something that would be considered minor. He's being told his waiver was not been approved. However, he' being asked to write a letter requesting release. Is this unusual?
I'll give you an example... I once had an applicant permanently disqualified for having a mole removed... because the mole was never tested for cancer so she couldn't prove it wasn't cancer.

A kidney stone is a disqualification.

ONE migraine, ever, can be a disqualification.

It doesn't take much to get disqualified.

If you tell me what he was DQ for, I might be able to provide solid advice.

Old 05-16-2017, 05:58 AM

2 posts, read 8,752 times
My son was diagnosed by MEPS with atopic dermatitis. He has never had a chronic skin issue his whole life. Unfortunately he showed up at MEPS with a small red spot on the inside of his elbow, nowhere else on his body did he have any spots or irritation. We feel he was misdiagnosed and ruined his chances of joining the Navy. The Navy waiver was denied even after submitting documentation by his dermatologist stating he only has contact dermatitis not atopic or eczema. My question is there a way to fight and/or contest this wrong diagnosis? How many times can we continue to ask for a waiver? Can he go to another MEPS and possibly get another consult to potentially disprove the original diagnosis at the other MEPS as many doctors do misdiagnose as they make mistakes too? Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you

Old 05-16-2017, 06:36 AM

The Navy only has 1 SG, so if the SG denied the waiver it won't matter what MEPS he goes to. He was actually diagnosed with contact dermatitis by a dermatologist?

Department of Defense Instruction 6130.03 (you can google it) states you are disqualified if:
b. Current or history of atopic dermatitis (691) or eczema (692.9) after the 12th birthday.
(1) Atopic Dermatitis. Active or history of residual or recurrent lesions in characteristic
areas (face, neck, antecubital and or popliteal fossae, occasionally wrists and hands).
(2) Non-Specific Dermatitis. Current or history of recurrent or chronic non-specific
dermatitis to include contact (692) (irritant or allergic), or dyshidrotic dermatitis (705.81)
requiring more than treatment with over the counter medications. [Contact dermatitis falls here, clearly a disqualification]

The best thing you can try is to get more documentation, even a letter from you, explaining the treatment to get it to go away. Is is STILL there? If it's currently still there, there's nothing you can do. If you can get it to go away with just over the counter medications, he'll have a chance. If he needed a prescription cream, then he meets the requirements for permanent disqualification as having needed more than just over the counter medication.

The reason for this is that we have to vaccinate our military members against Smallpox. If you have any kind of dermatitis you can NOT receive the Smallpox vaccine without risk of a life threatening reaction. It's not that we care about the small spot on his skin, it's that we need to be able to vaccinate him.

Old 05-24-2017, 09:03 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
Best of luck to her. If I were here, last-ditch-effort, I'd try the Air Guard. Just go directly to the recruiter (they are located on the guard base) and talk to them honestly about it.

If there's a will, and an opening, there's a way!

Old 06-05-2017, 07:23 AM

2 posts, read 8,752 times
He recently had a complete dermatology work up with patch testing and the dermatologist ruled out any chronic skin conditions. My son did submit a congressional inquiry as a last ditch effort to get closure on a potential Naval career before exploring the other branches. Thanks so much for your advice.

Old 06-05-2017, 08:20 PM

I hate to tell you, but the congressional inquiry will not help. They can only help when regulations are violated or not adhered to. The regulation states HISTORY of those things is a disqualification. It doesn't matter if he's completely all clear now, he has a history of it. That HISTORY of it is grounds for disqualification regardless of current status. I'm so sorry.

The fact that he had it while at MEPS is clearly after his 12th birthday.

The only chance is basically to try to make a case that MEPS was wrong. If MEPS was correct, and it cleared up, there's no chance at this point. If MEPS was WRONG, there's a chance.

Old 06-17-2017, 01:45 PM

1 posts, read 4,226 times
How long does it take to get your disqualified letter mailed out to you

Old 06-21-2017, 03:19 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,027,890 times
Is it more difficult now to get into the military then it was 20 years or so ago ? dmarie123, you give good & sound advice & you don't beat around the bush.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:45 AM

Steel7, I don't think we've changed with our medical regulations. What has changed is civilian doctors. For example, asthma has always be a DQ under certain circumstances. But, it used to be a rare diagnosis. Now every kid with a cold or a cough gets diagnosed.

Our doctors in the country just label everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues