Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 08:40 AM

30 posts, read 48,794 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I got a DUI in Nov 2016 and the case is closed, fines paids, etc as of April 2017.

I'm currently working with an AF recruiter to get me enlisted however he said his commander isn't reveiwing waivers at this time.
Could this be because the AF hit their recruitment goal for FY 2017?

Will recruitment pick up after the holidays in the beginning of 2018 and my waiver be reviewed soon.

Also, what are my overall chances of getting my waiver accepted. I got a 89 on the ASVAB, I have a bachelors degree and an overall clean record except the DUI.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2017, 09:06 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,581,875 times
You're about 45 years too late. One of the guys in my boot camp platoon killed someone while driving drunk. The judge told him he could go to jail or into the Marine Corps.

On another note, offer to go into aircraft maintenance and see how desperate they are. Your other option is the Army. It appears they are granting more waivers at this time.

Old 12-26-2017, 10:59 AM

6,592 posts, read 7,084,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsamadh View Post
Hello,

I got a DUI in Nov 2016 and the case is closed, fines paids, etc as of April 2017.

I'm currently working with an AF recruiter to get me enlisted however he said his commander isn't reveiwing waivers at this time.

Will recruitment pick up after the holidays in the beginning of 2018 and my waiver be reviewed soon.

Also, what are my overall chances of getting my waiver accepted. I got a 89 on the ASVAB, I have a bachelors degree and an overall clean record except the DUI.

Thanks in advance
My nephew just finish BCT and AIT from the army and a $40,000.00 signing bonus. You start off as an E4 and depending on your career path might hit something similar. I'm just saying. I am with AE the army might be offering a nice compensation package for you.

Old 12-26-2017, 11:35 AM

I considered the Army, as my brother is currently enlisted in the Army, and also considered the Navy.

The Air Force is my ideal branch and I'm hoping being patience through this waiver process will pay off. Anyone have any knowledge of the chances of waiver getting approved?

Old 12-26-2017, 11:38 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,581,875 times
Quote:
I considered the Army, as my brother is currently enlisted in the Army, and also considered the Navy.

The Air Force is my ideal branch and I'm hoping being patience through this waiver process will pay off. Anyone have any knowledge of the chances of waiver getting approved?
dmarie123 is a recruiting supervisor and will probably weigh in soon. But as I understand it, it depends on where you are enlisting. Different commanders have different rules about what they will waive.

Old 12-26-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
dmarie123 is a recruiting supervisor and will probably weigh in soon. But as I understand it, it depends on where you are enlisting. Different commanders have different rules about what they will waive.
I hope dmarie123 chimes in. Their insight would surely help me out.

I'm from Florida, where I know recruiting numbers are always high.
I'm hoping that after the holidays, the recruiter and commanders are looking to review/approve waivers to hit their goals.

The wait sucks, but I know it will also help, as it shows I haven't had any other arrests or even tickets after the DUI.

Thanks

Old 12-26-2017, 01:43 PM

17,602 posts, read 17,635,928 times
You may be disqualified for the more security or classified type jobs due to your DUI.

Old 12-26-2017, 05:09 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,049,230 times
Quote:
...he said his commander isn't reviewing waivers at this time.
Well that's that then. Sorry chap, don't shoot the messenger, but I'm going to bear some bad news here for ya.

Recruitment isn't going to pick up. All branches are downsizing. You need more than just a pulse to join these days and every branch is looking for quality over quantity.

You will absolutely not be getting into the AF. You will not have better luck with the Navy either. You might be able to get in with the Army or MC, but even those are doubtful. The services just are not doing waivers these days.

Old 12-27-2017, 07:27 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,324,862 times
Quote:
Hello,

Thanks in advance
Totally depends on the commander. There are 24 Squadron's all with different commanders. Mine takes about 48 hours to approve waivers, and I have had at least 5 DUIs approved in the last year, none denied. However, yours is so very recent that I would expect it to be disapproved. You haven't had enough time to show you won't repeat the mistake. Here is a list of squadrons if you want to call around and try a different one. Groups/Squadrons.

It's not because we made goal. We haven't made January goal yet. We haven't made Feb goal yet. It's now FY2018, going into the the second quarter. It's because some commanders believe in second chances and waivers, and other commanders believe is upholding the highest of entry standards with no waivers and no forgiveness. Waivers are literally 100% up to the individual commander. A commander can approve a murder waiver, or deny a waiver for a 5 year old that shoplifted a piece of candy. 100% commander discretion. It sounds like you have a commander who is either new, and not comfortable doing waivers yet, doesn't believe in them, is too busy, or who knows what, but he could go years without approving a single waiver.

Even the most lenient commanders will probably want o see some more time between your DUI and now. It has only been a year.

Old 12-27-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Totally depends on the commander. There are 24 Squadron's all with different commanders. Mine takes about 48 hours to approve waivers, and I have had at least 5 DUIs approved in the last year, none denied. However, yours is so very recent that I would expect it to be disapproved. You haven't had enough time to show you won't repeat the mistake. Here is a list of squadrons if you want to call around and try a different one. Groups/Squadrons.

It's not because we made goal. We haven't made January goal yet. We haven't made Feb goal yet. It's now FY2018, going into the the second quarter. It's because some commanders believe in second chances and waivers, and other commanders believe is upholding the highest of entry standards with no waivers and no forgiveness. Waivers are literally 100% up to the individual commander. A commander can approve a murder waiver, or deny a waiver for a 5 year old that shoplifted a piece of candy. 100% commander discretion. It sounds like you have a commander who is either new, and not comfortable doing waivers yet, doesn't believe in them, is too busy, or who knows what, but he could go years without approving a single waiver.

Even the most lenient commanders will probably want o see some more time between your DUI and now. It has only been a year.
Thank you very much for the explanation and the available resources. I agree enough time hasn’t passed yet and though the wait is hard, it’s playing in my favor as well. What do you think is an acceptable time frame after the DUI to be waiverable for most commander. Also will other circumstances help me out? Ex.) ASVAB score, college degree, letter of recommendations from credible sources. In your opinion, what can I do to better my chances of an approval given my circumstances. Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues