Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 10:31 AM

46,307 posts, read 27,108,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanygirl View Post
250 barrels of Agent Orange buried at Camp Carrol Korea in 1978..another one of the Army's dirty little secrets.

I have within the last few years been to camp carroll....

I will completley disagree with your statment...

But, what are you trying to prove?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 10:33 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Here is one write up on the subject:

USFK investigating vets' claims they buried Agent Orange on base in '70s By Ashley Rowland, Stars and Stripes, Published: May 20, 2011

SEOUL – U.S. Forces Korea is investigating whether Agent Orange is buried at Camp Carroll, following claims from veterans who say they buried the toxic herbicide while stationed there in the late 1970s, a military spokesman said Friday. The matter has “the full attention” of top U.S. military commanders in South Korea, including the USFK commander, and the 8th Army commander. “Our intention is to be completely transparent and cooperative with the [South Koreans] and probably do some kind of joint investigation,” he said. “We’re going to do as much as possible.”

The entire article can be read here: USFK investigating vets' claims they buried Agent Orange on base in '70s - News - Stripes

Rich

Old 05-20-2011, 11:28 AM

782 posts, read 1,109,221 times
And here the interviews with the Vets that came forward...from the television station that broke the story. Spec. House came forward because ill health and wanted to come clean before he died.

Valley Veteran Blows Whistle On Burial Of Agent Orange - Phoenix News Story - KPHO Phoenix

What am I trying to prove?? That the Army says one thing but does another..over and over again.

Discouraging soldiers to go on sick call yet say they are proactive about injuries to soldiers.
Deploying soldiers to Iraq and Afghanistan with documented PTSD but says it places soldiers with PTSD on hold until they are treated.
How long did it actually take the military and the VA to actually admit that being exposed to Agent Orange could have devistating side effects..???
Then, how much longer did it take those soldiers to start recieving compensation??
How many babies were born with birth defects caused by Agent Orange while the military turned a blind eye??

And, I don't remember where I heard it..maybe Military.com but not sure..that soldiers stationed in Korea complained of Agent Orange symptoms and the VA denied all claims for Agent orange exposure in Korea saying American soldiers weren't exposed that only Korean soldiers were exposed.

Old 05-28-2011, 06:14 AM

782 posts, read 1,109,221 times
First, I would like to thank whoever unlocked this thread but I would also like to say that because the controversy surrounding Agent Orange is so emotionally charged please do NOT use this thread to vent or bash the military. That was actually never the pupose of this thread. I did allow my emotion to get away from me and as I read my second post now that is what I see..military bashing. I am proud to be a Veteran and proud of the military today. Anyone involved in what happened in the 60's and the 70's are long gone from the military today and lets not sullly this board for current military members.
That being said, please use this thread as a starting point for research, for RATIONAL discussion, and disemmination of valid information. If you have been exposed to Agent Orange in Korea and have an emotional response to this thread I ask that you use that emotional energy and the information found here to start or appeal your claim with the V.A. and in helping your fellow veterans. Again..Thank You.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:24 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times
Default Vietnam, agent orange and diabetes. Now it appears I had it all.

I have just been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.

I just found out about this bummer so I am still adjusting and while it doesn't appear I will need to go on injection insulin I have just started taking the oral meds. Yeah, as if that is good news it sucks. Never been sick before other than a common cold.

Nobody in my family tree, either side, has had diabetes.

Now I am getting all bummed out. I have always taken care of myself and now this is what I get? No drinking, no smoking, never any drugs of any kind and this is my reward?

Three ladies at church have lost their Vietnam veteran husbands to cancer, all attributable to agent orange, over the past 4 years and it's a small church.

I was in Vietnam for exactly one year 1968-1969 as a combat medic with the First Infantry Division operating around Lai Khe, if memory serves me right around 60 miles northwest of Saigon, which was the center of the Michelin Rubber Plantation more commonly referred to as "The Iron Triangle". That I was exposed is beyond dispute, I got pictures of us making our way through dead foliage everywhere.

The big trees were all dead and the weeds growing back never got higher than 4 of 5 feet so what did they use to kill it?

Photo here (we sure were litter bugs) and here. While I never thought anything of it as a 20 year old kid you can tell that is not normal jungle for tropical southeast Asia. That smoke in the second photo was from a friendly mortar round... we were just hunkering down.

So I ran across this Agent Orange - Herbicide Exposure (U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs) and I am wondering if anyone here has experience collecting or am I in for a huge hassle that isn't worth it?

The more I dwell on this the more bummed out I get but I should be thankful because many of my comrades didn't enjoy the past 43 years that I got to enjoy so it's relative. I am also getting excellent health care and I am aggressively working on this bummer.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:10 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
Start with a service officer at VBA. It is worth it. They will backdate your payment to date of application.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:26 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Start with a service officer at VBA. It is worth it. They will backdate your payment to date of application.
What's a VBA?

Old 08-23-2012, 06:51 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefi...s_myeb_vonapp1

VBA...Veterans Benefits Association. The link above is how to apply online for compensation. You will have a C&P exam (compensation and Pension) exam at the VA.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:02 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
My former SIL had a husband who was diagnosed, and passed away from cancer due to Agent Orange. He received medical compensation.

The Agent Orange Settlement Fund (U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs)
The govt has apparently closed the settlement fund in 1997, but more information is on their website if you are interested.

VA Lawsuit Filed to Help Vietnam Vets Suffering with Agent Orange Diseases* :: National Veterans Legal Services Program (NVLSP)

above is more recent 2010 Litigation

Old 08-23-2012, 07:08 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,667,671 times
Veterans Benefits Assoc.

Go to your VFW or your American Legion and ask for the Service Officer who should help you file a claim with the Veterans Administration.
My husband said his main base camp "was on" the Michelin Plantation in 1967. He is just now applying after someone
who helps out people with these issues talked with him.

Yes, it will take time. You may have to travel a few times out of your way. ( as my hubby did) Even two hours away to see different people. There may also be some local doctors you have to see. But, mostly they are all kind and understand now the hardships that you guys had to deal with.

You will be paid back from when you appy. So no time is lost concerning that issue. Just time spent putting the case together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues