Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 09:41 AM

8,070 posts, read 12,784,000 times

Advertisements

Totally unrelated but I remember showing up to Marine Boot at P.I. and one of the other idiots had decided he might as well get a EGA (Eagle,Globe & Anchor USMC ) Tattoo BEFORE he earned it......

They rode his butt until he washed out. Apparently the D.I.'s took a pretty dim view of doing that.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 12:21 PM

194 posts, read 1,203,114 times
Everything relevant has pretty much been said now but to reiterate...if she was already sworn in then they are taking her as she is. The services are all a little different when it comes to tattoos and its extremely subjective these days. Also yes its true that alot of servicemen men and women have tattoos all over their body these days but A.) The tattoo policy when they joined was more lax than the current regs and B.) Once your in superiors tend to look the other way as far as tattoos go. Same as police and fire departments. Again they do NOT let just anyone in the military these days. The difference between hiring practices 2001-2006 and now is 180 degrees different. More older people (late 20s even early 30's, like myself 28) going in with a combination of drawing down personnel numbers has created very fickle military practices. These days they can really turn you down for whatever they want to and often you are at the mercy of your recruiting commander.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:32 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Totally unrelated but I remember showing up to Marine Boot at P.I. and one of the other idiots had decided he might as well get a EGA (Eagle,Globe & Anchor USMC ) Tattoo BEFORE he earned it......

They rode his butt until he washed out. Apparently the D.I.'s took a pretty dim view of doing that.....
As they should have!

You DO NOT deserve to wear the EGA unless you EARN the EGA!

Old 04-10-2012, 08:47 PM

8,488 posts, read 6,894,642 times
I was at a Padres game here in San Diego recently. Special guests were a Marine Corps platoon that had just graduated along with their Drill Instructors. One DI had brightly covered full sleeve tattoos on the inside of both arms.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:10 PM

10 posts, read 19,628 times
Mam, Im in the Navy and I know peiople in the army with tattoos on there hand..The meps station only has a problem with them if theyre offensive or gang related, and a luster of trhree dots is usually a gang tattoo. I knew someone when I was in dep that got his three dots covered up by converting them into an anchor, much cheaper then getting it removed, thats her cheapest option if they really wont let her in with a waiver.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:12 PM

Btw, I almost half 2 full sleeves

Old 04-25-2012, 04:07 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,782,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millie61 View Post
My Son did 4 years in the AF got his degree and has just joined the Army as an Officer. He says he has never seen so many tattoos in his life as he has since he joined the Army everyone has them.
Just about everyone in the AF has them too. It's a fad.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:12 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,308,329 times
Tattoos have definitely caught on, I am happy to report that I have not fallen for the fade. The tribal tat and tramp stamps are over the top popular.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:01 AM

Its a fad? I see it as tradition, ever heard of sailor jerry?

Old 07-11-2017, 02:19 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,027,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srlogan View Post
I am responding to the person that said "Otherwise, tattoo removal is relatively easy nowadays." You are SEVERELY mistaken.!!

My daughter was sworn in to the Air Force and is leaving for basic 4/28. You are supposed to go in for a (2 minute) session once a month until the tattoo is gone. Hers is only 1/2 " by 1 1/2" behind her ear, on her neck. She had a new tattoo artist, so he probably didn't go through all 8 layers of skin like really good artists, so we thought this would work better. She was quoted $1,200 to have it removed - 6 sessions. She has had 3 sessions and it is probably 50% gone. However, she has gone in every 2 weeks, because there is not enough time before she goes to basic. It's not going to be gone in time, unless a miracle happens and she is VERY upset. It's not an easy process, and is painful and looks REALLY GROSS!
$1200.00 sure is a lot of money to remove a small tattoo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues