Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 07:19 PM

35 posts, read 110,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXclimberX View Post
This is by no means a question of disrespect, but in general it seems that wheverer military bases go crime goes up, the property values decrease, trashy stores come in, and unruly people come into town.

It seems the prescence of military bases (even though a huge economic boon) are offset by the social costs.

Anyone else notice this?
LOL, this is so true, esp. of the Hampton Roads area!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 12:54 PM

5,289 posts, read 1,232,660 times
Like a lot of people have said, there are not too many new bases going up, and I don't think the military is totally to blame for the business that have followed in the wake of the bases. Young men (and women) away from home for the first time are easy prey for certain people and live in a capitalistic society, so the businessmen/women will go will they can make the most money, so yeah some not so wholesome businesses pop up near military bases to take advantage of the military people needed to let off some steam, relax, etc.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:15 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
Along the same lines, there's plenty of er, "stupid stuff" that goes on out in the parking lots of truck stops. Do all truckers participate? Heck no. Most aren't interested, even if they had the time to spend hanging around a truck stop. Are such activities considered more prevalent by the mainstream media and and others than it actually is? Very likely. I'd say it's just like stories about the stuff that goes on around military bases; some truth and some fiction...

Old 05-08-2009, 05:22 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,306,635 times
Default My experience

Please excuse my angry response but I feel its connected to our nasty base surroundings.

I feel we can blame those quick fix scams and other factors but I will focus on quick cash scams.

Shamely, my personal experience would agree. Somehow military bases attract those dirt bag companies who are ready to jump a young military member because they know its a guaranteed check. I would love to punch those company presidents in the mouth for taking advantage of our young troops who are protecting our rights. Shameful!!!!!!

Now that I am retired I know better but in my younger days I do remember being approved for loans completely out of my league. Any company who decides to prey on our young troops for whatever reason should be shamed for life because our troops should be off limits.

Sorry to be so negative but its connected.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:51 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,895,302 times
Havelock is an awesome place to raise a family, and their is the largest Marine air station there

Old 05-15-2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbub22 View Post
Please excuse my angry response but I feel its connected to our nasty base surroundings.

I feel we can blame those quick fix scams and other factors but I will focus on quick cash scams.

Shamely, my personal experience would agree. Somehow military bases attract those dirt bag companies who are ready to jump a young military member because they know its a guaranteed check. I would love to punch those company presidents in the mouth for taking advantage of our young troops who are protecting our rights. Shameful!!!!!!

Now that I am retired I know better but in my younger days I do remember being approved for loans completely out of my league. Any company who decides to prey on our young troops for whatever reason should be shamed for life because our troops should be off limits.

Sorry to be so negative but its connected.
Jbub, I feel your frustration and there was a time I'd have said "Right on!". But age and experience has taught m that those "dirt bag companies" wouldn't be there if there weren't a market for their services. SO the bottom line here is personal responsibility. I truly believe that military pay is not that bad IF you live within your means. If you're only an E-3 and you want to drive a new Mustang, have the latest in electronic toys, get married and spend money like a drunken______, you'll have a hard time financially and fall prey to these companies. It's YOUR responsibility to get a handle on your financial affairs. Despite the USAF teaching money management techniques in basic training AND at first PCS assignments, I still had troops that couldn't balance a checkbook or knew how to get the lowest rate on borrowed money...

Old 05-15-2009, 11:17 PM

4,537 posts, read 12,397,477 times
In one sense, I would respond to the OP with a Yes. But there is a fallacy in that argument. It's not the presence of the military that is the cause of the problem, it's the presence of large numbers of single young men, living in an area that is not properly balanced out by a sufficient population of young women, families and married men.

Basically, a military town is a lot like a Logging Camp, Mining Camp, or Frontier Town where all the Ranch hands go on payday. So, it's the not the military presence per se, it's the concentration of young, rootless, men. Many college towns used to be the same way, until the matriculation rates of women increased (Think of the behavior in the movie "Animal House" as a collegiate cinematic example. There are also several cowboy comedies about the civilizing influence of women, or the need to civilize an area by bringing in women - for example, "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers".)

Anyway, someone schooled in logic would have the name for this phenomenon, where a factor is coincident with the behavior being studied, but is not dependent upon it.

Old 05-16-2009, 09:44 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Depends on what goes on at the base in question. We live in the shadows of Eglin AFB, and they do a lot of high level R&D work on base that lead to a lot of high wage/high skill positions in the area. There's now a move to get the same companies doing DoD work to move and cluster more civilian sector tech jobs down here as well and to help some of the small tech firms that subcontract on the big DoD projects to grow bigger. Median family incomes are higher than anywhere in the Panhandle and surrounding parts of Alabama, including largely white collar Tallahassee, and a lot of that is because of Eglin's mission.

That gate of base that opens up right into town dumps you out into a middle-working class area that's regarded as a decent place to live if you don't mind the jet noise, and is strip club and title loan business free. You can find those kinds of businesses elsewhere in the area, but in no greater number than any other similar non-military small metro area.

If it wasn't for Eglin, the Fort Walton Beach area would be just as much of a dump as Panama City Beach is.

Old 05-16-2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
In one sense, I would respond to the OP with a Yes. But there is a fallacy in that argument. It's not the presence of the military that is the cause of the problem, it's the presence of large numbers of single young men, living in an area that is not properly balanced out by a sufficient population of young women, families and married men.

Basically, a military town is a lot like a Logging Camp, Mining Camp, or Frontier Town where all the Ranch hands go on payday. So, it's the not the military presence per se, it's the concentration of young, rootless, men. Many college towns used to be the same way, until the matriculation rates of women increased (Think of the behavior in the movie "Animal House" as a collegiate cinematic example. There are also several cowboy comedies about the civilizing influence of women, or the need to civilize an area by bringing in women - for example, "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers".)

Anyway, someone schooled in logic would have the name for this phenomenon, where a factor is coincident with the behavior being studied, but is not dependent upon it.
Um...over 60% of military members are married.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:20 AM

403 posts, read 1,189,718 times
How exactly does the military ruin these areas when most bases/post are located in small-medium size towns that are HEAVILY dependent on the military to earn a living?

These areas need the military much more than the military needs them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues