Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 12:18 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,167,707 times

Advertisements

He will go in as s kid.
He will become a man.
In todays economy he will have a steady job with promotions if he keeps his nose clean.

I was in the Army back in the 60's. When I got out the GI bill helped me buy my first house.
MY youngest son is was in the Army and in Afghanistan. When his Army stint was over he turned around and enlisted in the Air Force Reserve and is now a crew chief on C-130's. He works under a civilian millitary contract through the week on C-130's just like a regular job making good money and does his required reserve duty at the same base. His wife is with him and has a job in a nearby town.
My oldest son has been in the Airforce and Airforce reserve for many years. He used the available money for schooling to become a Bio Hazard equipment technician and has a very good job at a local hospital.
There are a lot of benefits that come with being in the military that can help a person for life.
The training, money for education, and of course the pride of serving your country.
It isn't all peaches and cream and it can take you into harms way. But daily civilian life has risks also.
I'm glad I served. And it sure has helped my sons gain a better hold not only on the present but also on their futures because of the benefits available. And it made all 3 of us more responsible and better people imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 01:27 AM

3,047 posts, read 2,825,085 times
Mothers like to contact the Red Cross if their son does not write.....at least mine did..the Red Cross sent a helicopter to fetch me from the battlefield in Vietnam. In the Red Cross office at division base camp I received a severe scolding for not writing. I had to sit and write a letter to my mother, they provided an ink pen, paper and a desk. I could not leave till the letter was completed.

Had to make my own way back to the field. I was a tank commander in the 3/4 Cavalry, 25th Infantry.

Oh forgot to mention..my younger brother joined the army and was assigned to my unit in Vietnam. He was my tank driver. This did not go over to well with my mom..I was told a doctor had to medicate her.

My mother was happy to see me when I walked into her office. God bless mothers.

Last edited by DraggingCanoe; 01-12-2010 at 01:38 AM..

Old 01-12-2010, 03:24 PM

541 posts, read 2,137,878 times
I completely understand how you feel! My son enlisted into the Marine Corps 9 years ago. I was a single Mom and he was my first born and only son. I cried myself to sleep every night for the first month, thinking about all the things I could have done/should have done over the years. I wondered if I had been a good enough Mom, if he knew how much I loved him.

Honestly, enlisting was the best thing that ever could have happened to him! Nine years later and he is still going strong. It is really hard for us Mom's in the beginning, and he may have some regrets early on too, but it will get easier with time!

I married a soldier three years ago. That is a whole other set of worries (the Mom versus Wife). Both of my daughters are joining - one Marine OCS and one Army Enlisted. Some people ask how I will ever handle that. I guess we just do what we have to do...

The best piece of advice I can give you is to find some online and/or local support groups for military parents. We have a great group for Marine Moms, both nationally and locally, and I don't know how I would have ever survived, especially deployments, without them

Best wishes!

Old 01-12-2010, 04:04 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,115,669 times
Nd4me, those who sit and wait also serve. In fact, I think they may have the hardest job. Some of the time he may not be able to contact his family or tell them what he is doing. Sometimes he will not be able to tell you because he does not know how. Just keep the letters -and care packages, if he can have them, going. The family members are never far from a soldiers thoughts. If he has made up his mind, he needs your support. My prayers to him and his family.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:12 PM

160 posts, read 1,161,755 times
Thanks all for your responses.
My son is going for his medical exam next week, and will probably enlist at that time. Do you think they will take a 6'1" 155 pounder soaking wet? lol I know I need to just get used to the idea, read up, and be proud of him for serving his country. I know there are lots of positives to serving in the military, but I also hear stories of people that come back "off". Just hard to see him go which I suppose will be shortly after graduation. I just hoped I could convince him to get at least one year of college in first. But he says he will be able to get some of his classes done during his service. Not sure about this, but will hope that he will go to college later.
Thanks for the shoulder.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:44 PM

7,332 posts, read 2,741,035 times
You have received some very good and well worded advice from others here and the majority of them have stated it much better than I can.

My youngest enlisted 11 years ago and is planning on making a career of it. I tried talking him into the college thing also...didn't work. The best thing you can do is be completely supportive. Mine knows I worry...I worried about him when he was home, too. My son wanted to enlist from the time he could talk and he still likes 99% of what he does.

Just support him and love him and keep the letters flowing even when you don't get one for awhile. My letters are nothing but the everyday things going on here at home, what I did at work, how his grandmother is, what the weather has been like...pretty much what I would be telling him if I could talk to him. Care packages are full of his favorite cookies and lots and lots of canned New Mexico green chile!

Hang in there and find a good friend or family member to use for support. While you are supporting your son and worrying about him, you HAVE to take care of yourself and have someone to talk to.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:07 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,115,669 times
I Am Woman, You stated your post well. The letters and care packages keep the soldiers going. Just a thought, while I was not in the states, my mother wrote me every week and gave me a subscription to my hometown newspaper. That kept me from feeling so isolated.
ND4ME, he will not be the same person after boot camp. He will change, and he will have some tough things to deal with. Just give what support you can, and say a prayer for him, as I will.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:20 PM

677 posts, read 1,538,034 times
My oldest son is in the Army. He graduated last May,,,went to BCT in August.

He is now in school for his MOS. He came home for 2 weeks over Christmas and it was wonderful. His younger brothers 12 and 13 loved to hear all the "cool" stuff he has learned. His evenings/weekends are his. He calls, texts, e-mails and we're friends on Facebook. I do know this will change when he is deployed,,,,so I'm enjoying it for now.

I knew very little about the military. I've found some groups on Facebook,, some people on Twitter and have learned quite a bit that way. I closely follow the news regarding the ongoing war on terrorism. I would hear the news,, but now I really listen.

My plan is to rely on my faith in God to get me and my son through this.

Prayers for your son and your family.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:23 PM

160 posts, read 1,161,755 times
It's me again,

I've been so sad, crying at any minute. Hubby the same. Today I am more angry than anything. Guess these are the same steps that one goes through with grief. Still trying to talk him out of it, or at least to talk to other branches, Air Force/Navy. I think I have him convinced not to sign a contract on Tues. when he goes for his medical eval (in another town) because I want either myself or hubby there to go over the contract and ask any other questions. Fingers are crossed.

Thanks DragonFly, it helps to know that your son is able to keep in touch regularly.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:44 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,032,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4me View Post
It's me again,

I've been so sad, crying at any minute. Hubby the same. Today I am more angry than anything. Guess these are the same steps that one goes through with grief. Still trying to talk him out of it, or at least to talk to other branches, Air Force/Navy. I think I have him convinced not to sign a contract on Tues. when he goes for his medical eval (in another town) because I want either myself or hubby there to go over the contract and ask any other questions. Fingers are crossed.

Thanks DragonFly, it helps to know that your son is able to keep in touch regularly.
Wow, that's a lot of drama for your son to deal with...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues