Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2011, 12:41 PM

72,976 posts, read 62,554,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
I wasn't implying in this thread that there would be any kind of a violent reaction to the Mayfair incident. That usually only happens when some people get hurt or killed. What I am implying by this thread is that it may be a sign that incidents like that might happen in the future. Actually that has already happened in St.Paul, and Chicago and probably other places where huge crowds of young people run into a store and steal anything they can get their hands on. Again, this coming summer could be a long hot one.
Well, sometimes it doesn't lead to anything more. Last summer housing projects were being torn down in Atlanta. There was a near-riot incident. There hasn't been anything like that since. In New Orleans there were nearly riots after some housing projects that were torn down. After that, I can't recall any more mob action. In fact, Mardi Gras and the Super Bowl parade(the Saints won the Super Bowl) were happening around the same time and there were no riots. In 2001, there was a riot in Seattle during a Mardi Gras parade. Can't recall anything like that happening after that incident. Mob action has occurred from the moment the USA became a nation. In fact, there was a time when there was alot of mob action from White people towards African-Americans. It happened in Milwaukee before that famous disturbance in 1967. My father remembers that disturbance because he's from Milwaukee and remembers the curfew installed.
The mob activity at Mayfair is nothing new. It just happened in the suburbs. That was the difference.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
I wasn't implying in this thread that there would be any kind of a violent reaction to the Mayfair incident. That usually only happens when some people get hurt or killed. What I am implying by this thread is that it may be a sign that incidents like that might happen in the future. Actually that has already happened in St.Paul, and Chicago and probably other places where huge crowds of young people run into a store and steal anything they can get their hands on. Again, this coming summer could be a long hot one.
Something else to add. I wasn't implying a violent reaction. I was implying that the implications from Mayfair could mean more wariness towards African-Americans. By that I mean African-Americans, regardless of being criminals or not, could be perceived with more suspicion, mistrust, and mistreatment. What I mean is that if I, an African-American, go shopping at Mayfair, I could be subjected to random searches from security based on suspicion. I would be perceived with more fear than the average White shopper. What do I want? To be able to shop in peace, to enjoy my day. Being treated unfairly might ruin my shopping experience. I haven't been to Mayfair, but if I do go, I want to be treated just like everyone else, and I want the same for other people regardless of race or ethnicity.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:55 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
The mob activity at Mayfair is nothing new. It just happened in the suburbs. That was the difference.
Exactly that's the problem! no black leaders are ever calling out other blacks for their level of violence in their own community. If they do they call them uncle toms! IE Bill Cosby.

Black leaders are never standing up for their community. It's a shame, when a black baby is killed by innocent gun fire nobody says a word. Where are the black leaders in Milwaukee and other cities demanding for people to start accepting responsibility for their own actions and condemning gang leaders and gangs for their destruction of their community.

You have Raising Kane - JSOnline

always offering up excuses but never condemning the owns who are committing these crimes.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Exactly that's the problem! no black leaders are ever calling out other blacks for their level of violence in their own community. If they do they call them uncle toms! IE Bill Cosby.

Black leaders are never standing up for their community. It's a shame, when a black baby is killed by innocent gun fire nobody says a word. Where are the black leaders in Milwaukee and other cities demanding for people to start accepting responsibility for their own actions and condemning gang leaders and gangs for their destruction of their community.

always offering up excuses but never condemning the owns who are committing these crimes.
I am not trying to refute the role of not taking enough personal responsibility. At the same time, these aren't the only people not raising enough awareness. Look at the media. Yes, the media will cover crimes committed by Black individuals, but very rarely, is the victim ever discussed. You will rarely ever hear the media mention that African-American men are the most likely to BE murdered in the USA. Very few people(Black leaders or the media) will mention that Black men between the ages of 15-34 have the highest death rate in the USA, the #1 cause being murder.
It is considered more interesting to bring up the perpetrator than the victim.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:00 PM

34 posts, read 89,405 times
Quote:

Very well said, Milwaukee City.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John241 View Post
Very well said, Milwaukee City.
Well as someone who grew up in a poor poverty stricken area I got sick of hearing excuses and nobody standing up to the real issue. People commit crimes b.c they chose to not b/c the man is keeping them down. When you are born you are born with 0 decisions having been made. You make your own decision. Not one single gov bill has ever forced a person to rob a bank.

Nobody is standing up in the black community and not even the black community is standing up. Every one is just content with syaing "that's his business, what do I care"

Old 03-10-2011, 06:12 PM

MADISON BUS DRIVER HIGHEST PAID CITY EMPLOYEE

• Nelson earned $159,258 in 2009, including $109,892 in overtime and other pay.
  • He and his colleague, driver Greg Tatman, who earned $125,598, were among the city's top 20 earners for 2009, city records show.

Do you know the education needed for a bus driver? GED or high school diploma.

If people want a better living for themselves, only themselves can do it. You don't need a college degree from Yale to make a decent living and get of the hood. You need just hard work.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:06 AM

88 posts, read 214,799 times
Quote:
Every one is just content with syaing "that's his business, what do I care"

Oh yeah right,no black person in the City of Milwaukee cares about the violence going on in our community. Way to make us out as one monolithic group.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
MADISON BUS DRIVER HIGHEST PAID CITY EMPLOYEE

• Nelson earned $159,258 in 2009, including $109,892 in overtime and other pay.
  • He and his colleague, driver Greg Tatman, who earned $125,598, were among the city's top 20 earners for 2009, city records show.

Do you know the education needed for a bus driver? GED or high school diploma.

If people want a better living for themselves, only themselves can do it. You don't need a college degree from Yale to make a decent living and get of the hood. You need just hard work.

This is one individual. And in order to convince people to stay in school, to get a decent education, and even to pursue a college education, part of the solution includes pushing education in popular culture. I notice that here in the USA, athletes and rappers are getting more value than people with college degrees. When is the last time Cornell West was made popular? Why is it that Li'l Wayne gets more money, more attention, and more appeal? This isn't just Black culture, this is happening in the USA as a whole. This is happening in American culture.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:24 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,303,618 times
when I lived in a small all white town(about 60,000 people) there was only one black member at the local YMCA. Whites would go out of their way to make that black feel comfortable in that all white envirement. There was an unspoken awareness amongst whites of who might offend that black and it was like an undercurrent of constant observing who was reacting to his presence and how each person reacted to him. Any problems he would have had whites in his defence right away. I wonder what the situation would be like if it was a white person in an all black town in an all black YMCA. I can only guess that it would have been much different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee