Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 08:29 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,543,163 times

Advertisements

Seriously - check out Golden Gyros some time. I can't believe people are saying "no contest" and actually have tried some of the smaller spots around town.

Agreed that Culver's is great for a big chain. But it's still not as good as the best local spots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 12:23 PM

738 posts, read 1,002,493 times
Considering that I lived on 27th street, just down from Pinkey's Bowling Alley for most of my childhood, I am somewhat partial to Leon's. That said, I also liked Gilles when it was family run. Kopp's is good, Oscar's is good, but I would put Culver's farther down on my personal list of favorites. Don't know anything about Golden Gyros.

Kopp's - 1950 Our History
Leon's - 1942 Home Page
Gilles - 1938 Gilles Frozen Custard

RVcook

Old 09-08-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVcook View Post
Considering that I lived on 27th street, just down from Pinkey's Bowling Alley for most of my childhood, I am somewhat partial to Leon's. That said, I also liked Gilles when it was family run. Kopp's is good, Oscar's is good, but I would put Culver's farther down on my personal list of favorites. Don't know anything about Golden Gyros.

Kopp's - 1950 Our History
Leon's - 1942 Home Page
Gilles - 1938 Gilles Frozen Custard

RVcook
That's pretty much the gold triangle of Milwaukee custard joints, no? I didn't grow up here so I don't have my finger on the pulse the way many of you do.

Old 09-08-2014, 04:18 PM

738 posts, read 1,002,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
That's pretty much the gold triangle of Milwaukee custard joints, no? I didn't grow up here so I don't have my finger on the pulse the way many of you do.
Like beer, Milwaukee custard is an institution...especially for us 'older' folks . And yes, I would agree that all of those make up the golden triangle. Considering you're a transplant, you should at least try to taste custard from those three places (if you haven't already) and compare.

I moved away a while ago, but when I get back to the city, I always try to stop at Leon's.

RVcook

Old 09-08-2014, 05:06 PM

92 posts, read 236,456 times
Leon's then Kopp's and then Golden Gyros. Those three are the best in my opinion. Culver's, Gilles, and this place called Big Deal in West Allis are all great options.

Old 09-09-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVcook View Post
Like beer, Milwaukee custard is an institution...especially for us 'older' folks . And yes, I would agree that all of those make up the golden triangle. Considering you're a transplant, you should at least try to taste custard from those three places (if you haven't already) and compare.

I moved away a while ago, but when I get back to the city, I always try to stop at Leon's.

RVcook
I love custard, I'm sure to the detriment of whatever, and have tried all the main ones. I think it's worthwhile to check out the others, as well. I'm no spring chicken, but I grew up in Door County, which has always had custard stands, and lived in Green Bay which for years had Storheim's, which was based on "the Milwaukee custard stand." And butterburgers, of course. I think I'll take Leon's over the rest of the big 3, it's very good custard and I like the atmosphere there.

Old 09-09-2014, 10:31 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,590,479 times
I miss Lixx on Downer & Bella's on Brady. I can't quite figure out why Kopp's is so revered. Sure, it's good ice cream but I've had good ice cream many places. Plus, it is always waaaay too crowded when I go which is hardly ever. I just went to Gilles in Wauwatosa, twas good.

Old 09-09-2014, 10:45 AM

Bella's was still around (with a Bayview location down the road) when I moved to town...there was also the local chain place where Hamburger Mary's is now. Or did they just have butter burgers? Wasn't very good, closed some years back now. Bella's was OK.

Agree on Kopp's - locals love the hell out of it, I prefer many other spots.

Old 09-09-2014, 11:26 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,590,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Bella's was still around (with a Bayview location down the road) when I moved to town...there was also the local chain place where Hamburger Mary's is now. Or did they just have butter burgers? Wasn't very good, closed some years back now. Bella's was OK.

Agree on Kopp's - locals love the hell out of it, I prefer many other spots.
The Bella's on Brady closed quite awhile ago, followed by the Bayview location a few years ago. There may have been one by UWM I THINK but I believe that switched to a different restaurant.

Old 09-09-2014, 03:29 PM

Just remembered - Omega Burger. I thought I remembered them having custard, but maybe not! Their burgers weren't very good, that's all I can remember.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee