Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 12:50 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,305,934 times

Advertisements

I honestly believe that a depression is on the horizon(not to far future). Maybe a year away. So it is a good question wether or not a person would want to live in a big city in those times. If there would be hunger then watch out because people change in strange ways when they are hungry. Of course we live like its not going to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 01:31 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,233,018 times
If there was a depression, I don't suppose it would matter much where you lived.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:41 PM

8,290 posts, read 23,122,463 times
Quote:
I honestly believe that a depression is on the horizon(not to far future). Maybe a year away.
You actually think thousands of people will be lining up around the block for a bowl of soup??? 90% of Milwaukee will be unemployed?

Sorry I don't think we will be in a depression ever again.

Old 01-18-2009, 03:34 PM

104 posts, read 416,520 times
Why do you think that? I really don't think there will be another depression. If there were, I wouldn't move anyway.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:20 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,572,367 times
I guess I'm not understanding where you're going w/this thread. How would a depression touch people in the city but not out in the burbs, the country, up north?

Old 01-19-2009, 10:33 AM

21 posts, read 79,555 times
I actually think Milwaukee is a good place to sit through bad times because it's smaler and cheaper. According to the news right now all the big cities like NY and LA taking a hard blow of unemployment, mortgage forclosures and all that other stuff associated with economic crisis. Those places are good to live if you got the means, but for people with modest income places like Milwaukee are where it's at due to many industrial jobs unlike huge service, restaurant and hospitality industries of big cities that suffer lack of customers in these times.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:27 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,718,342 times
1. I tend to agree with this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
You actually think thousands of people will be lining up around the block for a bowl of soup??? 90% of Milwaukee will be unemployed?

Sorry I don't think we will be in a depression ever again.
The world is too small now, technology too advanced, world economies too interlinked...I just think too many people are too invested and interlinked for a full-blown, all out Depression, at least for any significant period of time.

Hell, a lot of current markers - as bad as much economic news currently is - aren't even as bad as they were in the late-70s/early-80s (near the end of the Carter Administration / around the S&L crisis). I am not saying things aren't bad now - in many facets they are quite troubling, but the Great Depression brought things like 30% unemployment, etc. (currently we are at about 7.5%); long way to go (fortunately).

Having said that...

Milwaukee is the sort of town that is fairly solid during a hard economic time. Why? Because it tends in many aspects to reflect what you see in the micro-analysis that is the housing market. During the "good times" the mega cities and the coastal cities tend to boom - whereas Milwaukee really doesn't. However, during the bad times, those same cities then tend to really get hit hard - whereas Milwaukee holds relatively constant. That lack of pendulum swinging is helpful.

Having said that Schwartz Bookshops and Heineman's Restaurants - two decades-long iconic chains in the Milwaukee area - have recently closed which is incredible. Miller Brewing moved HQs away from Milwaukee recently. Milwaukee needs some *good* economic news in terms of new employers sooner rather than later.

Last edited by EnjoyEP; 01-20-2009 at 11:17 AM..

Old 01-20-2009, 10:30 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,078,146 times
Ten Cities For Job Growth In 2009 - Forbes.com (http://www.forbes.com/leadership/2009/01/05/cities-jobs-employment-leadership-careers-cx_tw_0105cities.html - broken link)
Milwaukee came in at #5 on Forbe's 2009 of the 10 best cities for job growth, Madison was #1. We're sitting pretty compared to the rest of the country.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:31 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,078,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
I honestly believe that a depression is on the horizon(not to far future). Maybe a year away. So it is a good question wether or not a person would want to live in a big city in those times. If there would be hunger then watch out because people change in strange ways when they are hungry. Of course we live like its not going to happen.
Why are you always concocting these ridiculous doomsday scenarios?

Old 01-20-2009, 10:55 AM

2,663 posts, read 3,862,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
Hell, a lot of current markers - as bad as much economic news currently is - aren't even as bad as they were in the late-70s/early-80s (near the end of the Carter Administration / around the SNL crisis). .

I am trying to recall the Saturday Night Live crisis. I do admit the show has gone through some ups and downs.

Last edited by ccjarider; 01-20-2009 at 11:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee