Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2010, 10:59 AM

1 posts, read 2,882 times

Advertisements

I am moving into Circle Pines next weekend but am going to be working in downtown Minneapolis. I have to be to work around 9am. I am familiar with the twin cities as I have lived in MN all of my life and have been to the twin cities hundreds of times, but am not sure about the congestion of traffic in the morning. Can anyone tell me about how much time I should allot myself in the morning to get to work?

I will not have to find somewhere to park as I have a parking ramp once I get to work for employee parking, but I suppose I would have to consider the fact that other employees would be getting to work the same time as me and I have to then walk a skyway, elevators etc..

But if someone could give me a timeframe on morning traffic that would be of GREAT help. Also, how does the metrotransit bus work? Is it even worth considering for the winter time or would it be easier for me to just drive myself? Do the buses really run on schedule or not really?

Thanks for the help!

Sarah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 01:38 PM

927 posts, read 2,466,566 times
Um… I’m not sure where Circle Pines is, but it sounds far away from downtown.

With that being said, traffic in Minneapolis is pretty terrible overall. There is always road construction and MNDot is about 10 years too late on construction projects. I’m being a little dramatic, but seriously, I think the traffic in this city is ridiculous for the size of the metro.

The worst areas that I know of:
394, 35 & 494 areas, 62 & 35W aka “the commons area”
94 West, heading toward St Cloud is a nightmare between 5pm – 7pm
280 to 94 can be hit or miss

I don’t know much about the St. Paul side of things.

The bus system works pretty slick. If you have paid for parking by your company, I’d stick with the free parking for convenience. But it definitely would be cheaper to bus.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:45 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,371,609 times
It looks like the obvious route would be taking 35W all the way downtown. I don't commute that way and really have no idea how congested it has gotten coming from that way but you might want to give yourself 45 minutes just to be safe.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:47 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsch View Post
I am moving into Circle Pines next weekend but am going to be working in downtown Minneapolis. I have to be to work around 9am. I am familiar with the twin cities as I have lived in MN all of my life and have been to the twin cities hundreds of times, but am not sure about the congestion of traffic in the morning. Can anyone tell me about how much time I should allot myself in the morning to get to work?

I will not have to find somewhere to park as I have a parking ramp once I get to work for employee parking, but I suppose I would have to consider the fact that other employees would be getting to work the same time as me and I have to then walk a skyway, elevators etc..

But if someone could give me a timeframe on morning traffic that would be of GREAT help. Also, how does the metrotransit bus work? Is it even worth considering for the winter time or would it be easier for me to just drive myself? Do the buses really run on schedule or not really?

Thanks for the help!

Sarah
Traffic down 35W at that time actually starts thinning out after 8:15 or so. I frequently drive in from near 85th Ave and 35W to near 4th St and 2nd Ave to make a 9:00 am meeting and try to leave by 8:15 and often make it downtown no later than 8:40.

My wife uses the park & ride at 95th ave and loves the hassle free commute. The busses use the shoulders most of the way and fly right by the congested areas. Personally, if I still worked downtown and was offered free parking I would continue to drive myself.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:50 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,190,154 times
The fact you have to be at work around 9 will be a big help.

I had 4 dental appoimtments at the Uof M last month ( arrived there from St Cloud I94 ) and didn't think it was that bad.

From 7-8 is a lot worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul