Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 10:28 AM

7,507 posts, read 4,399,446 times

Advertisements

I lived in Minnesota all my life and from my own experience, North Minneapolis is not the safest area to live in. Right now I live in NE Minneapolis and it has a very rich diversity which I enjoy. I actually do consider this to be one of the "safest" area compare to other areas in the past. Though it may not be Woodbury or Richfield, it is safe enough to walk outside and enjoy the city, at least with one more person. My friends and I do enjoy downtown since it is lively and busy in the morning to early evening. A couple weeks ago, my sister and I walked to University to grab some smoothies and coffee. It was safe, with the three of us, sunny and lively. I am still careful with when I go and where I go so that's probably why I give more a positive feedback. About the clean part? I do think that Minneapolis is clean. I went to San Jose this past winter break, and I did not enjoy the atmosphere. It was thick and dirty. My boss, who is from Nigera and lived somewhere in the East Coast, told me that he agrees that Minneapolis is a pretty clean city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 12:33 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,415,339 times
Minneapolis is a very clean city. St. Paul is even cleaner. It's nice not seeing trash strewn everywhere and boarded-up buildings. As far as crime, the Cities (not the suburbs) aren't exactly safe, but are not as dangerous as places like Chicago.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:01 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
For me it is frustrating hearing people throw around the word "safety" so loosely. In my opinion safety should really be measured not by reported crimes or by how an area looks but by the probability of being a victim of a random crime.

If anyone agrees with me I would be open to discussing it but the way I see it, targeted crimes do not affect the safety of an area and shouldn't be included in safety discussions. Even crimes based on botched drug deals and gang on gang violence have no affect on the safety of everyone else. The exception to this, of course, would be when it takes place in public and is done in a manner that puts other people at risk (drive-by shootings, for instance). However, I think there should be reports and data based completely on random violence or targeted violence that places the public at risk. That would be a better way to measure the safety of a specific area.

I'm sick of people saying that Minneapolis isn't very safe. Now that I've lived here for a while I can tell you that there is really nothing to be concerned about. Safety simply isn't a concern where we live in South Minneapolis.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:15 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,878,949 times
You're probably targeted more than you realize. It's not safe to walk around in dangerous areas where people are more than willing to take advantage of you and mug you or something. You make yourself a target when you do that, and just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it can't happen. These are primarily areas where poverty and/or drugs are most prevalent.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
You're probably targeted more than you realize. It's not safe to walk around in dangerous areas where people are more than willing to take advantage of you and mug you or something. You make yourself a target when you do that, and just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it can't happen. These are primarily areas where poverty and/or drugs are most prevalent.
Whoa...what!? Are you sure we're talking about the same place? There is some poverty here but it isn't like my neighborhood is crawling with bums and junkies. I will ocassionally walk by somebody's house and smell Marijuana smoke but other than that I have seen absolutely no evidence of drug use in my neighborhood and the surrounding area. Why are you so convinced that these neighborhoods are such a haven for these crimes and there is somebody around every corner just waiting for the right time to pounce an unsuspecting neighbor? If that kind of stuff was happening I would definitely have heard about it from my block leader and the neighborhood organization immediately after it happens and there would probably be meetings organized to talk about it....it just doesn't happen.

I'm sorry but I'm convinced that your perception of Minneapolis is far from reality.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:40 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,707,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Whoa...what!? Are you sure we're talking about the same place? There is some poverty here but it isn't like my neighborhood is crawling with bums and junkies. I will ocassionally walk by somebody's house and smell Marijuana smoke but other than that I have seen absolutely no evidence of drug use in my neighborhood and the surrounding area. Why are you so convinced that these neighborhoods are such a haven for these crimes and there is somebody around every corner just waiting for the right time to pounce an unsuspecting neighbor? If that kind of stuff was happening I would definitely have heard about it from my block leader and the neighborhood organization immediately after it happens and there would probably be meetings organized to talk about it....it just doesn't happen.

I'm sorry but I'm convinced that your perception of Minneapolis is far from reality.
I agree with most of what you're saying and at the same time I get what West is saying too.

I haven't had the chance to live in Minneapolis. However, with friends at the U and growing up in the burbs, and family livnig in MPLS too, I have experienced the place enough to comment.

I not once ever in MPLS have I ever been 'scared'. My dad works all over the city of MPLS and often would bring me along while growing up. I've seen the Phillips Neighborhood at it's worst. I've been down Broadway. I've hung out on Lowry and Lyndale. My dad's car has been stolen twice in that area in 10 year span. But that still never made me 'scared' or fearful of my safey.

That brings me to my next point. In college, my roommate was from Iowa. We were St. Cloud for college, so he never really 'experienced' MPLS. So we brought him down to say at a friends' near the STP MPLS border. While we were inside and he was out on the back porch (11pm) talking to his GF, a black male walked up to him with a gun and said "give me your money". My Iowan roommate fisted over his $86 in cash and off the guy went.

So the whole 'Keep safe' argument is stupid. Because there are situations where you are completely safe and stuff like that can happen.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post

We've had this conversation before....

I don't know your neighborhood specifically, but I'm saying it's not smart to walk around in unsafe neighborhoods thinking that you're not a target because you don't know anybody affiliated with drugs or gangs. That's not how it works, and it's naive to think so. I have personal experience that tells me it's not a smart idea to test fate, so that's where I get that from.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
We've had this conversation before....

I don't know your neighborhood specifically, but I'm saying it's not smart to walk around in unsafe neighborhoods thinking that you're not a target because you don't know anybody affiliated with drugs or gangs. That's not how it works, and it's naive to think so. I have personal experience that tells me it's not a smart idea to test fate, so that's where I get that from.
If you don't know my neighborhood why are you not hesitating to label it as "unsafe?" I take offense to that. Like I've been saying. We have been here for over 2 years now and nothing has happened to us or the neighbors we keep in contact that would make us feel that the neighborhood wasn't safe, so why should we be convinced by you or anyone else otherwise?

Old 07-22-2010, 03:08 PM

I'm sick of people saying that Minneapolis isn't very safe. Now that I've lived here for a while I can tell you that there is really nothing to be concerned about. Safety simply isn't a concern where we live in South Minneapolis.
I saw this as "Minneapolis isn't very unsafe, and safety isn't a concern in South Minneapolis". Not the Corcoran neighborhood or wherever you live specifically....I don't know enough about that neighborhood to judge. I know that even downtown safety can be an issue if you're not weary and it doesn't matter who you are, you can be targeted for acts such as assault or burglary. This is just MY experience though, you don't have to listen at all if you don't want to.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:27 PM

What's your personal experience anyway? What happened in your life that caused you to conclude that Minneapolis neighborhoods were so unsafe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul