Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 02:19 PM

2 posts, read 5,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I'm not sure if shooting is illegal but I believe that you aren't allowed to dispose of the body in your garbage. You will have to bury them and it would be time consuming conducting all of those funerals day after day.
Or you could eat them. That's always on the table.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:39 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,096,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by braveotter View Post
The neighbor besides us has been feeding these tree rats for decades, and their practically feral. They nest in my garage, with a larder full of black walnuts from my neighbors black walnut tree. Now they have damaged our vehicles by nesting in the engine. I'm fed up, I've a live trap, but also love the sight of a squirrel in the sights of my pellet gun. We only aim for the ones in our backyard, and never around people. Is this legal? I can't find anything in the Minneapolis online ordinances. Please help!
I'm not personally sure about the legality of this, but setting out poison for them if they are in your house/on your property and then properly disposing of the bodies *is* legal-- I've had landlords do it. And probably much less time-consuming, and higher-percentage than trying to shoot them.

But, probably you should contact animal control and have them removed. It's not really fair to punish the squirrels for something they clearly can't help.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:11 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,387,686 times
I had one of those rats jump on me and scrape my arm last year whilst turning the corner of my house. Had to get tetnis and everything. Some of them are friendly though and we will feed them from time to time.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:17 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,988,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
I had one of those rats jump on me and scrape my arm last year whilst turning the corner of my house. Had to get tetnis and everything. Some of them are friendly though and we will feed them from time to time.
About ten years ago one of my kids left the front door wide open. It had crossed the foyer and was halfway up the staircase before anyone noticed. Herding the thing out of the house (eventually through a kitchen window) was a bit of an adventure...

Old 08-11-2010, 05:23 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,387,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
About ten years ago one of my kids left the front door wide open. It had crossed the foyer and was halfway up the staircase before anyone noticed. Herding the thing out of the house (eventually through a kitchen window) was a bit of an adventure...
Maybe sorta like the Great Outdoors?

My cats don't really mess with them, although my smallest (4yr old Hymalayan) will catch a baby every once in a while and I'll find the 'leftovers' of the little buggers in the yard sometimes.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:26 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times
Why do you guys hate squirrels so much? They're harmless, fuzzy animals that don't do any damage. Why would you want to shoot them?

Old 08-11-2010, 08:31 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,235,874 times
This looks like more fun.....

YouTube - squirrel Launcher!!!

Old 08-11-2010, 08:35 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,375,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Why do you guys hate squirrels so much? They're harmless, fuzzy animals that don't do any damage. Why would you want to shoot them?
You obviously havent seen the kind of damage urban squirrels can cause. They can be devastating. Soon after we moved in they got into our roof. We boarded over the entry-point and the next day there was a hole gnawed through the brand new board that we had put up....that's when we started live-trapping the bastards.

I've heard from neighbors and people in other neighborhoods who have also gotten tired of them and have started disposing them in a variety of different ways. I want to say there is a way to get them to fall into a tub of water and they drown (or does that only work for rats?). I also have an aunt who used to own a duplex in South Minneapolis and she would talk about live-trapping them and then shooting them point blank with a .22 rifle. I'm convinced that there is a serious overpopulation of squirrels in the city and I support any means of controlling the population...anything to keep them away from the house.

That squirrel launcher is hillarious by the way...I now know what I want for Christmas this year

Old 08-11-2010, 08:40 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,858,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
No this is completely false, squirrels are among the most damaging pests out there.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:35 AM

409 posts, read 1,241,608 times
We trap chipmunks on our property (in MPLS) and dispose of them in the city garbage container. Some years we've trapped 40+, and we've never been contacted by the city about throwing them in the dumpster.

A live trap, a tin of almonds, and a five gallon bucket work just as well as any pellet gun, I can assure you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul