Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 09:54 PM

2 posts, read 34,000 times

Advertisements

The neighbor besides us has been feeding these tree rats for decades, and their practically feral. They nest in my garage, with a larder full of black walnuts from my neighbors black walnut tree. Now they have damaged our vehicles by nesting in the engine. I'm fed up, I've a live trap, but also love the sight of a squirrel in the sights of my pellet gun. We only aim for the ones in our backyard, and never around people. Is this legal? I can't find anything in the Minneapolis online ordinances. Please help!

Old 08-10-2010, 10:15 PM

336 posts, read 927,367 times
I'd call the police & ask. I know many larger cities don't allow the firing of any gun within city limits.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:21 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,233,487 times
The DNR allows it.....

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/livingwit...fe/taking.html

I don't know how the City of Minneapolis views the act of shooting the gun though. I did find that they exclude BB guns from their definition of "Firearm".

http://library1.municode.com/default...ction=whatsnew

Firearm. Any device, designed to be used as a weapon, which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or other form of combustion, but excluding antique firearm, "BB" gun, scuba gun, stud or nail gun used in the construction industry, or pop gun or toy gun.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:47 PM

1,935 posts, read 5,829,966 times
I'm not sure- I know there are ordinances about transporting b-b/airsoft guns (this needs to be done in a certain way), and it's illegal to 'brandish' a bb gun in public in the city of minneapolis- as to whether it's legal to discharge b-b guns on your own private property, can't say and couldn't find it online...

Old 08-11-2010, 06:21 AM

2,031 posts, read 2,986,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by braveotter View Post
The neighbor besides us has been feeding these tree rats for decades, and their practically feral. They nest in my garage, with a larder full of black walnuts from my neighbors black walnut tree. Now they have damaged our vehicles by nesting in the engine. I'm fed up, I've a live trap, but also love the sight of a squirrel in the sights of my pellet gun. We only aim for the ones in our backyard, and never around people. Is this legal? I can't find anything in the Minneapolis online ordinances. Please help!
Regardless of the method used and the legality, I'm guessing you'll be pretty much fighting a losing battle. Any territory without squirrels will soon be filled by squirrels moving in from nearby territories - the presence of the walnut tree pretty much guarantees it.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:02 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,366,293 times
We've live-trapped about 40 squirrels in the last 2 1/2 years. They are attracted to our yard because of a Fruiting Mulberry tree. Urban squirrels are such pests...sometimes I feel like taking them out with a bb gun but the wife would never allow it.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:41 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,039,039 times
I'm not sure if shooting is illegal but I believe that you aren't allowed to dispose of the body in your garbage. You will have to bury them and it would be time consuming conducting all of those funerals day after day. Better idea would be to get a stuffed toy squirrel, cut off it's head and stick it on a stake in a conspicuous spot with a note hanging on it that says "you!".

Old 08-11-2010, 09:40 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,856,435 times
Brave

Call wildlife control, I am pretty sure it is illegal to feed squirrels in an urban area. You are allowed to feed birds, but deliberately putting food on the ground for squirrels is illegal and I remember one of our neighbors was leaving peanuts all over her yard for animals and they told her to stop.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:17 AM

2,105 posts, read 4,598,540 times
Quote:
Hello braveotter, not sure if its leagal to shoot squirrels in youre backyard using a pellet gun.

I do know that for example some cities it is ILLEAGLE to own a BB GUN or use it.

I also know that there is a hunting season for small game which includes squirrels, so shooting them out of season in the backyard MAY IN FACT BE ILLEAGLE, but Im not sure.Small Game Hunting Seasons

However, Id offer up some proven ideas for the situation with the squirrles is that you could block off the garage entrances that the squirrles use to gain access to the buildings interior.

Another you could try is to put out in the nesting areas in and around the garage moth balls, that may work to keep them away, it works with skunks also.

Another if the backyard is large enough you could put on a pole in plain sight of the areas is a pole with a hawk or owl and this will more than likely keep the squirrels away from the area.

There are many other options to try also may want to contact the pest controll and they can give you some more ideas also.

Have fun good luck

Old 08-11-2010, 11:26 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,920,640 times
Quote:

1. Repair your garage so that the squirrels cannot get in. Trap the existing squirrels in your garage with the live trap and relocate them several miles away (park or rural area). If they cannot get into the garage they cannot cause damage to vehicles in the garage.

2. Follow the laws of your municipality to a "T" regarding the possession of BB & pellet guns. If your neighbor is feeding the squirrels they will most likely file a complaint if they see you shooting them, even in your own yard.

3. If you are a dog lover and will commit to one for a lifetime: consider adopting a terrier type dog from your local shelter as they will keep your yard squirrel free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul