Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 11:01 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,878,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside38 View Post
what parts of woodbury are you referring to? The steepleview rd. Area? The woodbury heights area? I do find it disturbing that you group certain parts of woodbury with east bloomington, columbia heights, and richfield.
ts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 11:10 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,585,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
ts!
Can you think of a more respectful way to phrase that?

Old 08-15-2010, 05:25 PM

136 posts, read 383,967 times
Quote:
ts!
I don't think you're trying to say "true story," or "totally sweet."

Instead of overreacting to your comment, I'll just say that I was asking for a poster prior to myself to clarify a statement he was making. And no, I don't think that any part of Woodbury is like Columbia Heights or Richfield.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:54 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,296,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearedtowardssalad View Post
It's impossible for anywhere in the midwest outside of Chicago to be completely gentrified, at least for now. It's too cheap here to have neighborhoods that are only affordable by professionals and the upper class. Uptown has the amenities of a traditional yuppie neighborhood, but the population is varied with hipsters, musicians, artists all living there.
This is true, but in most cities gentrify in waves. First it's the artist/hipster/gay crowd and then the yuppies.

I'm a composer and when I lived in MPLS I lived in East Isles. Lowery Hill proper was across the street and the lake was a couple of block away. It's one of the best neighborhoods in the city, yet it was surprisingly affordable. There was no need to gentrify a cheaper neighborhood because East Isles was already cheap ($700 for a one-bedroom in 2003). Now I can only dream of such prices in New York. East Isles also felt extremely safe, whereas Stevens did not.

On the other hand, Stevens is one of the few neighborhoods west of Chicago that has bona fide row houses. People who are interested in architecture would be drawn to Stevens if the crime rate went down.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:47 AM

143 posts, read 477,835 times
Quote:
Looking at things from a different angle, I'd suggest that you may find "reverse gentrification" more than gentrification here. In other words, I expect other, once middle-class areas to become poorer over the coming years and decades.
Good point. Let's not forget the Brooklyn Center areas. The fall of the once-great Brookdale Center is nothing but a mirror of the effects of reverse-gentrification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul