Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 01:59 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
I ran a search on the MLS in the Twin Cities for homes 100k or less, at least 1400 square feet and which have a fireplace. I found around 100 properties that met this set of criteria, with almost all of them located in Brooklyn Park, Brooklyn Center, North Minneapolis and the East side of St. Paul. Those would be good areas to start looking.
Other than the East Side of St. Paul, the commute from the rest of those would not be fun. I would suggest looking in Hastings. I just did a search and there are several older homes for sale-some are foreclosures/HUD and might need work but they are under 100,000. There aren't any bad areas in Hastings and they have a very cute downtown with a lot of active stores, etc. as well as a more "modern" shopping area with Walmart, Target, etc. It is a quick hop to Eagan up Highway 55 too.

You could probably find a condo/townhome in Eagan but that eliminates any gardening so you probably won't want to go that route. The East Side of St. Paul can be hit or miss for neighborhoods and while there are sidewalks, etc. it isn't all that walkable to shopping, etc. Hastings will be better actually. Many areas of North Minneapolis are the absolute worst areas in MN so you have to be VERY careful buying there. Brooklyn Center/Park is going to be an hour commute or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 02:13 PM

812 posts, read 2,173,155 times
I agree with GG re Brooklyn Center. If you were going to be close I think it would be perfect for you but it's quite a drive and busing would be slow too.

I'd start in Eagan and work my way out, probably south or east.

Old 10-04-2010, 02:23 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,375,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Other than the East Side of St. Paul, the commute from the rest of those would not be fun. I would suggest looking in Hastings. I just did a search and there are several older homes for sale-some are foreclosures/HUD and might need work but they are under 100,000. There aren't any bad areas in Hastings and they have a very cute downtown with a lot of active stores, etc. as well as a more "modern" shopping area with Walmart, Target, etc. It is a quick hop to Eagan up Highway 55 too.

You could probably find a condo/townhome in Eagan but that eliminates any gardening so you probably won't want to go that route. The East Side of St. Paul can be hit or miss for neighborhoods and while there are sidewalks, etc. it isn't all that walkable to shopping, etc. Hastings will be better actually. Many areas of North Minneapolis are the absolute worst areas in MN so you have to be VERY careful buying there. Brooklyn Center/Park is going to be an hour commute or so.
According to google maps the difference isn't that big. However, I did not find a single home in Hastings listed on the MLS that was under 100k with atleast 1400 sq ft and has a fireplace.

Town center to town center commutes (per google maps):
Brooklyn Center to Eagan = 31.6 miles (39 minutes)
Brooklyn Park to Eagan = 33.5 miles (44 minutes)
North Minneapolis to Eagan = 22.8 miles (33 minutes)
East St. Paul to Eagan = 15.3 miles (21 minutes)
Hastings to Eagan = 18.5 miles (35 minutes)

Old 10-04-2010, 02:37 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,235,874 times
Quote:
According to google maps the difference isn't that big. However, I did not find a single home in Hastings listed on the MLS that was under 100k with atleast 1400 sq ft and has a fireplace.

Town center to town center commutes (per google maps):
Brooklyn Center to Eagan = 31.6 miles (39 minutes)
Brooklyn Park to Eagan = 33.5 miles (44 minutes)
North Minneapolis to Eagan = 22.8 miles (33 minutes)
East St. Paul to Eagan = 15.3 miles (21 minutes)
Hastings to Eagan = 18.5 miles (35 minutes)
That doesn't include rush hour traffic through. There has to be much less traffic from Hastings to Eagan than from Brooklyn Park to Eagan. I would not want to cross the entire metro area twice daily.

Old 10-04-2010, 02:50 PM

5 posts, read 10,396 times
You are all very kind. I'm well-aware that I won't be able to afford a house like the one I live in now. It won't be 1400 square feet. I can't be picky about whether it has a fireplace or a yard I can garden in. I probably can't even be picky about whether it's a house. The information you're giving me about commute times and neighborhoods is extremely helpful in trying to get a sense of what will change for me and what additional expenses I might have. These are all factors to weigh in assessing any opportunity involving relocation, negotiating any relocation assistance, and just deciding whether this is really what I want and what's best for my family right now. I know it seems like I've coughed up an impossible list of requirements, but in fact this is exactly the information I need.

Old 10-04-2010, 04:07 PM

10 posts, read 21,602 times
You seem to be a very rational thinking person about what to expect and you don't seem to be afraid to live in an area with diversity, so you are a step ahead already. I live in the Lind-Bohnam neighborhood of N. Minneapolis and really like it, there are several houses around me for sale that would fit most of what you are looking for. We could always use more people like you here. Good luck

Old 10-04-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Affected View Post
You are all very kind. I'm well-aware that I won't be able to afford a house like the one I live in now. It won't be 1400 square feet. I can't be picky about whether it has a fireplace or a yard I can garden in. I probably can't even be picky about whether it's a house. The information you're giving me about commute times and neighborhoods is extremely helpful in trying to get a sense of what will change for me and what additional expenses I might have. These are all factors to weigh in assessing any opportunity involving relocation, negotiating any relocation assistance, and just deciding whether this is really what I want and what's best for my family right now. I know it seems like I've coughed up an impossible list of requirements, but in fact this is exactly the information I need.
All the houses I saw had a yard and were close enough to 1400 sq feet. Sometimes it isn't the actual square footage as much as it is the layout. Hastings is a very nice, very safe town-old river town, LOTS of historic, Victorian homes. With interest rates being so low you may be able to go for a little bit more house then you thought too. The commute from Hastings to Eagan is mostly on roads that are 4 lanes, 65 MPH, with the exception of about 5 miles.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:54 AM

267 posts, read 558,640 times
If you are working in Eagan I would recommend trying to live in the south metro, not Minneapolis, St. Paul or northern suburbs. The best bets would probably be South St. Paul, West St. Paul, Hastings, Farmington or East Bloomington based on the price range you gave.

MLS shows me that there are currently 20 houses in Dakota County (where Eagan is) that are less than $110k and more than 1400 square feet. The largest number of them are in South St. Paul. The majority of these are going to be bank owned properties so they will be in various conditions and may require some work. This price point does turn over rather quickly.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:51 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,375,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillWallace View Post
If you are working in Eagan I would recommend trying to live in the south metro, not Minneapolis, St. Paul or northern suburbs. The best bets would probably be South St. Paul, West St. Paul, Hastings, Farmington or East Bloomington based on the price range you gave.
Any reason why you recommend this? If you're going by distance most of the places you mention are further to Eagan than alot of parts of St. Paul and from St. Paul you'd be going opposite of traffic which would be nice.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Any reason why you recommend this? If you're going by distance most of the places you mention are further to Eagan than alot of parts of St. Paul and from St. Paul you'd be going opposite of traffic which would be nice.
Because the houses you can buy in St. Paul in that price range are not going to be in nice neighborhoods where as in these other communities you can find a nice home in a nice, safe neighborhood and have the amenities that the OP wants. Also, the routes from the neighborhoods where you will be able to buy houses at these prices are not all that direct to Eagan, and they carry heavy traffic. Taking Pilot Knob up to Eagan from Farmington or 55 from Hastings to Eagan are MUCH easier commutes then taking 94 to 52 to 494 from the East Side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul