Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2010, 04:15 PM

3 posts, read 7,964 times

Advertisements

Thinking about purchasing a house in Rosemount, MN but after further consideration I am looking for information about the trains, Flint Hill Resources (Oil refinery) and the upcoming UMore Sand and Gravel project by the University of Minnesota. Can anyone provide any information on any of this? This appears to be three big turnoffs for the city!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 08:34 PM

267 posts, read 558,447 times
Hi,

I live in Rosemount and love it here. Let me address your issues -

- Trains: If you live on the east side of Highway 3 they can be bothersome if you are a light sleeper. I'm guessing they go by 3-4 times a night but I couldn't tell you the exact number. There are certainly some engineers that lay on their horns more than others. The city has been trying to work with the railroads to improve crossings and mitigate the need to blow the horns so much so hopefully this may reduce noise pollution in the future

- Flint Hills: Unless you live on the far eastern boundaries of Rosemount this is really no issue at all. The refinery is a good 3-5 miles from the populated areas of the city. This is actually a benefit to have them where they are as they have been a good corporate citizen and donate quite a bit of money to Rosemount charitable organizations.

- UMore: You might go to the UMore planning site to see what this is all about but I don't see this as an issue at all either. The proposed sand/gravel pits are quite a ways away from current housing in the city. The sand/gravel pits in Apple Valley are right along highly populated County Road 42 and really don't detract from that city so I don't see how they will impact Rosemount, especially being in a more remote area. The impact of UMore will certainly be a bigger issue to the city over the next 30 years as it could add 20,000+ more residents eventually.

So, yes, the trains can be a bit of a bother but the other 2 issues are really non-issues.

If there's anything else I can do to help tell you about the area please let me know as I've lived and worked in Dakota County for the past 24 years.

Old 12-23-2010, 05:37 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
The trains are a non-issue in a few more weeks when they finish the crossing upgrades (some part is on back order according to the city website). The town will then be a "silent" town-no horn blasts in town at night.

Refinery isn't an issue unless you buy a house near there (out in the country).

Gravel pits already exist and they produce zero noise so again, a non-issue.

We love it here. We moved here about 5 years ago and couldn't be happier. The community is great, the schools are excellent the location is perfect.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:41 PM

3 posts, read 7,964 times
Update: One year later....I will have been in my house in Rousemount one year on January 27th, 2012. Nearly forgot that I posted this on City-Data. What I thought were big deals at the time, I don't even notice now! Loving living in Rosemount!

Old 01-10-2012, 03:59 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingfromkc View Post
Update: One year later....I will have been in my house in Rousemount one year on January 27th, 2012. Nearly forgot that I posted this on City-Data. What I thought were big deals at the time, I don't even notice now! Loving living in Rosemount!
Did you see in the Town Pages that we are officially a "quiet" town now so the trains no longer blow whistles in town except in an emergency . Glad you like it here, we love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul