Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2011, 05:29 AM

5 posts, read 13,471 times

Advertisements

Hello all! My wife and I travel to the cities regularly in the summer months usually for concerts, etc.

I'm looking for some suggestions for some good rooftop bars.

We're usually in either downtown Mpls or downtown St Paul around W 7th, and occasionally uptown.

Not looking for anything too upscale or hip, just something that has decent pub food and a good variety of craft brews (We're mainly into IPA's and Double IPA's). And of course, an excellent view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 07:40 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,657,834 times
I believe Brit's has a rooftop bar. Isn't there one on top of that kitchen shop at Calhoun Square? And the Independent (also at Calhoun Sq) has a semi-enclosed outdoor seating area which has a nice view of Lake & Henn for people watching.

Last edited by audadvnc; 06-17-2011 at 08:06 AM..

Old 06-17-2011, 07:43 AM

988 posts, read 1,828,801 times
If you are looking for more casual and publike, I would probably steer away from Solera, Seven, Chambers (rooftop of Le Meridien Hotel) or new rooftop Crave. Those four all have their appeal, but they are duking it out for "hip and trendy" club/rooftop. Crave is probably getting a bunch of attention right now as they just opened both the massive restaurant plus rooftop.

Perhaps Brit's on Nicollet Mall? Others will need to speak to specifics as I have not personally been there, but I know there is a rooftop with bocceball (I think) and you'll get the taps, I suspect.

There is also the Local on Nicollet Mall. Not a rooftop but looked like a fairly decent street/outdoor dining. This would probably hit more along the lines of casual and craft brews.

In St. Paul, another one that I can think of but again others will need to speak to specifics on would be the Liffey. They are next door to the Holiday Inn right on 7th. They happen to be owned by same group as the Local. I'm not suggesting them necessarily because of this, but just so you know. You can check them both out online at Cara Irish Pubs - Home.

That's what I can think of at the moment...

Old 06-17-2011, 07:44 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
Cafeteria in Calhoun Square has great views of downtown.

Haven't been to Moto-i in Lyn-Lake (first sake brewery outside of Japan!), but they have a rooftop deck that looks nice.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:50 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Been a couple years since I was there but Joes Garage near Loring Park had a nice quiet rooftop with a great view of the Basillica.

Joe’s Garage Restaurant

Old 06-17-2011, 11:47 AM

988 posts, read 1,828,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Been a couple years since I was there but Joes Garage near Loring Park had a nice quiet rooftop with a great view of the Basillica.

Joe’s Garage Restaurant
I had thought about them too, but I wasn't sure about their tap situation there. Looks like some options, plus bottle options too.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:53 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,375,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Haven't been to Moto-i in Lyn-Lake (first sake brewery outside of Japan!), but they have a rooftop deck that looks nice.
I've been there a couple times. The rooftop deck is smaller and less fancy than some of the other ones in that area but it's very laid back and has a nice street view of Lyndale Ave. Overall I would say that moto-i is probably one of my favorite bars in the city. Not only do they have really good sake, but they only serve beers brewed in Minnesota, which I find very unique and cool.

When I think of rooftop bars, the two that always come to mind right away are Drink and Stellas in Uptown. If you can put up with the pinnacle of douchedom clientele that frequent those two places, their rooftop patios are actually very nice.

Also, I'm not sure it counts, but the Budweiser Rooftop Deck at Target Field is amazing!

Old 06-17-2011, 12:55 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,880,875 times
Stella's and Brit's are the two best that I've experienced. Hard to beat Stella's skyline view, and Brit's has a freaking yard on their roof! I heard that there were going to be a few more rooftop patios opening up soon -- was Crave the only one? I personally would love to know if there are better ones than Stella's and Brit's -- both of which, to me, are two of the best I've been to, period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul