Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2008, 08:08 PM

33 posts, read 113,594 times

Advertisements

could i get a descent house for less then 110,000$ there and what neighbourhoods should i steer clear of
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 06:51 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
The only place you're going to find a house for that price that doesn't require alot of rehab is in north Minneapolis.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:01 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,563,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by want1too View Post
could i get a descent house for less then 110,000$ there and what neighbourhoods should i steer clear of
It would be exceedingly difficult to find a single-family home for that price. If you do, it will be in a pretty dodgy area. If you consider an older, smaller condo (usually converted apartment buildings) you could find something very nice in a good neighborhood for that price.
In other words, what kind of square footage are you looking for and are you willing to live in a condo?

Old 08-13-2008, 04:55 PM

1,936 posts, read 5,832,965 times
I disagree - there are 674 single family homes selling for under 110K in Minneapolis right now and these homes represent all wards of the city (North, South, Northeast, Southeast, etc.).

I live in an excellent neighborhood and there's a really decent little 2 bed/ 1 bath across the street from me selling for $113K.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:10 PM

18 posts, read 86,502 times
The crazy thing is that you can truely find homes for much less than that. Nice homes in decent areas. I'm an East Metro person and I'm in real estate, I have a hard time believing some of the deals I've seen the past few months. Banks are discounting in huge ways because they can't afford the inventory (maintenance, liability, taxes...) I recently had a client with an accepted offer for a ready to move in home in Maplewood, one block from the walking trail and three blocks to the golf course for $70k.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:34 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
I disagree - there are 674 single family homes selling for under 110K in Minneapolis right now and these homes represent all wards of the city (North, South, Northeast, Southeast, etc.).

I live in an excellent neighborhood and there's a really decent little 2 bed/ 1 bath across the street from me selling for $113K.
Out of those 674 homes, how many of them require extensive rehab? How many of them need a new roof and/or furnace? I stand by my previous statement with 90% confidence. There will be a few decent move-in ready homes in that price range, most of which will be in the north Minneapolis neighborhoods. Yeah, you will find a few in Phillips and Powderhorn and a few select St. Paul neighborhoods as well.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:57 AM

443 posts, read 2,135,766 times
What about NE Mnpls? It's not maybe the best area but better then N MNPLS.

Check out ZipRealty Real Estate -- Homes for sale and local real estate agents they have crime stats on there I think?

Old 08-17-2008, 11:59 AM

1,936 posts, read 5,832,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfw1979 View Post
What about NE Mnpls? It's not maybe the best area but better then N MNPLS.

Check out ZipRealty Real Estate -- Homes for sale and local real estate agents they have crime stats on there I think?
I again disagree - we CHOSE a North Minneapolis/ Camden neighborhood over any NE Mpls neighborhood (and other areas of Mpls/ St. Paul). Our current home was originally intended to be our starter home/ neighborhood, but after living here we've decided that we'll be putting down roots here. And the realty website's crime stats are usually not reliable and populated by ZIP code, to get real/ accurate crime stats for a neighborhood in Mpls go here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Out of those 674 homes, how many of them require extensive rehab? How many of them need a new roof and/or furnace? I stand by my previous statement with 90% confidence. There will be a few decent move-in ready homes in that price range, most of which will be in the north Minneapolis neighborhoods. Yeah, you will find a few in Phillips and Powderhorn and a few select St. Paul neighborhoods as well.
In a lot of ways your post is accurate - yes, a large percentage of them will be needing major rehab and a large percentage will also be in one of the North Mpls neighborhoods. However, judging by the search I just did on this website (http://www.mlsfinder.com/mn_rmls/mnwi/ - broken link) (wasn't able to actually link to the search and get it to work), there are 161 homes currently for sale, in Minneapolis, that are not in a Near North or Camden neighborhood, that are listed under $110,000. So yes, we know there are homes in nice neighborhoods of North/ Camden selling in this price range that are decent homes, and I would surmise that of the 161 homes in other areas of Mpls that are for sale under 110K, there would be some options for decent homes/ areas there as well (a fair amount of Longfellow came up in this range). So, I stand by my argument that it would not be "exceedingly difficult", "rare", "hard", etc. to find a decent (small) home in a nice neighborhood in Minneapolis for $110K or below right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul